You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Home broadband speed

Red74

Been paying £75pm for BT’s full fibre 900 and they’ve sold it to me that I’ll be getting download speeds of 910 mbs and uploads of 110mbs.

It hasn’t been too bad overall but there’s a lot of days where it just drops off and anything streamed on TV is unavailable. BT sport app and Dazn are 2 of the worst for it.

I’ve ran a speed test and I’m getting 244 download and 24 upload. There’s only me at home at the min and my phones the only thing connected to the Wi-Fi.

Phoned BT and they’ve told me that their figures are only what they say they can get into the house and if I want those speeds I’ll have to sit with my device plugged directly into the fibre box. Gonna look stupid with a big telly propped up against the stairs next to the leccy cupboard. 

Feel like I’ve been sold a pup here as they never told me this when I was seduced by their super speed promises.

I can leave in June and I’m shopping around. Virgin media have a good deal on but are their promises of great speeds gonna be the same as what BT are worming out of?

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Been paying £75pm for BT’s full fibre 900 and they’ve sold it to me that I’ll be getting download speeds of 910 mbs and uploads of 110mbs.

It hasn’t been too bad overall but there’s a lot of days where it just drops off and anything streamed on TV is unavailable. BT sport app and Dazn are 2 of the worst for it.

I’ve ran a speed test and I’m getting 244 download and 24 upload. There’s only me at home at the min and my phones the only thing connected to the Wi-Fi.

Phoned BT and they’ve told me that their figures are only what they say they can get into the house and if I want those speeds I’ll have to sit with my device plugged directly into the fibre box. Gonna look stupid with a big telly propped up against the stairs next to the leccy cupboard. 

Feel like I’ve been sold a pup here as they never told me this when I was seduced by their super speed promises.

I can leave in June and I’m shopping around. Virgin media have a good deal on but are their promises of great speeds gonna be the same as what BT are worming out of?

I hope not, I've just left Sky for Virgin. 1 gig broadband, all the sport, sky movies - the lot - for £85 amonth. Snapped their hands off. My old Virgin router was a bit shit, so hoping they've improved their equipment in the 6 years or so I was last with them.

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I hope not, I've just left Sky for Virgin. 1 gig broadband, all the sport, sky movies - the lot - for £85 amonth. Snapped their hands off. My old Virgin router was a bit shit, so hoping they've improved their equipment in the 6 years or so I was last with them.

Their bundles are brilliant but I’m stuck with sky for my tv till January. Prob move the lot to to virgin when the time comes. Only problem with them is that they don’t do wireless boxes for additional rooms and have to wire them on the outside walls of the house whereas skys are brilliant for us. Our wirings are gonna be right next to the front door and up and over the roof and the Mrs has said no chance. 

Virgin are lying, robbing cunts, avoid them like the plague.

Broadband speeds, how fast do you need? Shop around and go with a small, independent ISP who offer great customer service, no bullshit, one which actually answers the phone and tells you the truth.

Zen Media, Pop Telecom and many others might not offer breath taking speeds but they have wonderful customer service, cheap prices, zero broadband throttling, and speeds that will easily be fast enough for what you need.

29 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Broadband speeds, how fast do you need? Shop around and go with a small, independent ISP who offer great customer service, no bullshit, one which actually answers the phone and tells you the truth.

Zen Media, Pop Telecom and many others might not offer breath taking speeds but they have wonderful customer service, cheap prices, zero broadband throttling, and speeds that will easily be fast enough for what you need.

All I really need is for 3 iPads, the telly and my lads Xbox and ps. None of us work from home anymore 

30 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Ah, balls. Oh well, it's getting installed next week, so I'll keep you updated.

I'm with ee for broadband. I'm still on the 76mbps service for two reasons.

1. It's never let us down and we regularly have the kids streaming YouTube or playing consoles online while I work from home too.

2. I only pay £22 for it despite it advertised close to £40. I was a phone customer for years and got a decent deal on their fibre. Left their phone service and they reduced my fibre to £22 to make me stay on their broadband network. 2 year contract.

I would upgrade to the 1 gig but the two reasons above means I have no need to yet and the service has been superb.

5 hours ago, Red74 said:

They just read off a script so when you go off script, they come out with bullshit.

That said, you should test your DL speed wired not wireless but even so, unless your device is ancient, you should get more than 244Mbps when you do a test.

I think the equipment BT give customers is crap. When I went FTTC, they gave us a modem and Home Hub3. The HH3 was crap and had zero functionality so swapped it out for a Netgear WNDR4500 router.

Everything was fine for 7 years then everything went tits up with frequent disconnects. In desparation, I took out the BT modem and WNDR4500 and started using a Home Hub 6 they gave me.

Connection was shite even with the HH6 but stabilised a little such that I was only getting disconnects every 2 to 4 weeks. Things came to a head again recently and after having a few BT visits which included them swapping out the HH6 which made things worse, decided to bin off the HH6 and re instate the BT modem and WNDR4500 combo.

So far touch wood and everything has improved. The ping rate has gone down from 26ms to 17, speed has stabilised at 47Mbps instead of 42 and connection hasnt dropped once in the last 21 days.

If you can, Id replace any BT supplied modem\router combo they have given you with a 3rd party one.

• Upvote 1

Been with Virgin since before they were Virgin. Like most people I've spoken to with Virgin broadband, you get more than you pay for in terms of speed. I don't think I've ever had an issue in about 20 years. Not one that I can remember anyway. That said, if you're not going to use ethernet cables, you won't get your full speed but you should get close to it. It's just the nature of wifi. There's only one broadband company I'd swap Virgin for, and that's Hyperoptic's 1gb pack for 35 quid, but it's not available to me at the moment. 

Think we are on Virgin 500mb, they are crap if things go wrong but I have not had anything go wrong for many years, usually have this speed too. Their WiFi is crap and I became pissed off about 6 months ago so decided to fox myself. Now just use their router in modem mode and have a couple of Asus XT8's and a single XD4 mini to cover very back of house / garden. The XT8s would prob cover whole place if it was more strategic placing them but I decided to hardwire the 2 togeather and run all my media and one pc through a network switch hardwired to the satellite xt8. Also running a server from home that is connected to our 3d printer farm for the buisness, each printer has a camera feed and I can then access this from anywhere so need solid wifi in the house to make this possible.

I had countless BT people testing the lines to the house and a connection that was dropping regularly so decided to say screw it and went with virgin, which has been solid ever since.

We now have the option of FTTP through BT wholesale so might look to jump ship. Ideally I would have a tri band Asus Ax modem / router as I can them be more strategic with one of the XT8. Although finding one seems to be a bit of a pain in the arse righ now. My buisness can pay for it as an expense apparently, because we work from home. Might just fuck everything off and just iptv / kodi and the best connection I can find. Also need decent upload speed for said server and uploading videos to YT.

Thinking Zen or idnet as both have been going ages and have great reputations.

• Upvote 1

The mesh system has been great tbh, nearly bought dirt cheap one and then upgrade when the 6E ones were out. In end went with AX system Asus one, pleased I stopped procrastinating about it and just did it. Has been great, and runs all the devices flawlessly. Dead easy to setup and use too.

I'm on the same package as you @Red74, 900 meg FTTP, although mine's only £60-something due to an offer they sent me. As said earlier in the thread, try and connect a laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable and see what speed you get then. Make sure whatever network adapter you're using is set correctly too, as below (, mine was set to 100 mbps half duplex for some reason.

image.png

I can get the full 900 over ethernet, and I usually get 400-600 mbps over wifi depending on where I am in the house. The only problem we've had before resulted in them replacing our router as it was fucked, so there may be some dodgy ones out there and I don't think the supplied ones are supposed to be that good anyway, so maybe look into replacing it. I would also keep on at them and see if you can get an engineer out to take a look, especially at that ONT modem they would have installed for FTTP.

• Upvote 1