You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City 2 Liverpool 2 (Apr 10 2022)

tlw content

13 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Meant to post this here instead of the other thread -

I dont agree with the narrative that Pep has figured us out. In the last 6 games we've played against City, they've won 2 and we've won 1. The others being 3 draws. Yes, they were probably the better team across the two draws this season but they still didnt beat us. We caused them enough problems each game.

The two they won in the last 6 include the

4-0 after we had won the league (some of our players still looked hungover). The 2nd win was at an empty Anfield with us missing Van Dijk and a couple other key players. 6 games and only 2 wins which have an asterisk. That doesnt qualify as "Pep has us figured out" in my opinion. Hope I'm not jinxing the FA cup semifinal now though.

Some really good points there 

I don't watch city at all but those new double advertising boards they have at the side of the pitch are ridiculous, “Abu Dhabi” “visit Dubai”  “24 million happy visitors”  “UAE" “Dubai expo"  it's like an assault on the senses for 90 minutes of a football match a desperate attempt to appear relavent while diverting attention away from the real UAE. They are an abomination a fucking disgrace the worst thing that's ever happened to the game.

• Upvote 1

Great point that if they can change their game plan we can do the same. When they are pressing so high, just turn them round with a longer pass forward. The back 5 can all play them so just do it. We invited more pressure when we were already under enough. 

Mané's two halves were chalk and cheese, the team was but the difference in him was stunning. 

36 minutes ago, bigal said:

Great point that if they can change their game plan we can do the same. When they are pressing so high, just turn them round with a longer pass forward. The back 5 can all play them so just do it. We invited more pressure when we were already under enough. 

Mané's two halves were chalk and cheese, the team was but the difference in him was stunning. 

He took his ice skates off at half time.

• Upvote 1

We need to mix it up and keep them guessing. Sometimes just play it long straight away, sometimes try and play through, sometimes play a few passes to draw them in and then hit it long. On Sunday they were licking their lips waiting for us to pass to someone with two players ready to charge into him.

• Upvote 1

I know why some will point to Brighton or Brentford, I just think those are things that happen to every team. As mentioned above, City drew twice with Southampton. But that's football, results like that happen every season.

What happened at Leicester just should never happen and it's a result I'll probably never get over. It's up there with the Gerrard slip game for me, and Arsenal winning at Anfield in 89.

Great to see your report again Dave, top man.  Agree with just about everything as usual including what a horrible give away of the points against Leicester when they had basically given up but we just couldn't come up with a professional performance. 

We showed enormous character in this game and I fancy us to turn them over on Saturday, our fire power will do the job 

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

City are a better side than us no doubt about it, it’s down to the midfield, that’s the big difference. That and being a state sponsored cheating institution.

No doubt about it??? Behave. They couldn’t beat us this season (yet) and there’s only one point between us over the last four years! They may be better than us (they’re not) but if so, it’s far from conclusive. 

• Upvote 3

Both City and Chelsea have figured out that Fabinho is a bit crap under pressure. 

Might be an idea to play Thiago as the 6 at Wembley to receive the ball from defence under pressure and put us on the front foot 

Only problem is we don't have anyone else to bring in as an 8.

• Downvote 1

I think that is unfair to Fabinho. You can pick any great midfielder in history and if they are surrounded by 3 top class opposing players while being giiven few options from their own colleagues, they will struggle. He was really poor on Sunday, but I don''t think he has been 'figured out'.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I think that is unfair to Fabinho. You can pick any great midfielder in history and if they are surrounded by 3 top class opposing players while being giiven few options from their own colleagues, they will struggle. He was really poor on Sunday, but I don''t think he has been 'figured out'.

I've never seen Alonso, Gerrard, Mascherano, Hammond, Kante, Keane play that badly in a big game.

This City outfit are a different animal though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

To be fair not many of those brilliant players played in the era of press, and opposition players may not be as skilful but they are practically all athletic and fit. Not sure what Richard Hammond brings to the party.

Hahah.

Didi Hammond

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, dave u said:

If we drop points to this Everton side then everyone involved should immediately retire.

Its for that very reason Im nervous about it. If they were having a "normal" season Id be confident but I can see the headlines already.

Incredibly, I have been wrong before though

They've dropped points in 8 games this season. To the same 4 teams home and away. I sense they have another game where things won't go their way; my worry is whether we can win the last 7.

Their press worked well Sunday but when we went long early, even in the first half, it paid dividends. My guess is that will be our plan for satdee. Despite being outplayed by them twice, I fancy us this weekend.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic