You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City 2 Liverpool 2 (Apr 10 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

You know what I was thinking about after this? It wasn’t how bad we were in the first half. It wasn’t how we bravely came back in the second half. It wasn’t even anything about this game. I just thought about that fucking stupid, inexcusable loss at Leicester a few months ago, and how that has completely skewed things to the point that a draw away at City now probably isn’t really good enough.

I know we’ve dropped other points this season and some of you will look at Brentford away or Brighton at home. That’s fair enough, but to me those are just results that can happen throughout a season. The Leicester one just can’t happen though. Not when you’ve got literally everything stacked in your favour. Even if we’d drawn that game we’d be top right now. But we didn’t, we lost. And the consequence of that was we needed to go and win at City. And we never fucking win at City.

In the end the draw is probably not going to be enough for us, but it’s probably a result we should be quite thankful for based on how the game went. We were lucky not to be down by three or four at half time because we were shambolic at times in that first half. It wasn’t all bad and there were spells in which we did quite well, but mostly it was a mess.

The second half was much better and we probably shaded it, even if City still had the better chances. The performance from us was good and the character of the players is commendable, because at half time we looked in big trouble. I’d have snatched your hand off for a draw at half time because, if I’m being totally honest, I thought 4-1 or 5-1 was more likely than us getting something. As it turned out, I sold the lads short there.

I’m appalled though that we did that thing so many shit teams do and allowed City to score inside the first five minutes. It’s rule number one when you play them. You just can’t do that, but we did. And although the goal was a fluke we can’t complain too much because we would have conceded even earlier but for a brilliant save by Alisson from Sterling.

That doesn’t mean I have no complaints about the goal, because I do. And it’s more about the officiating than our defending. Firstly, and this is not the fault of the linesman but more the shitty changes they’ve made to the rules, there was an offside that wasn’t given in the lead up to the free kick that led to the goal.

Sterling is miles offside and the ball is knocked up towards him. He doesn’t challenge for it, but him being there meant that Virgil had to head the ball clear because he can’t be sure Sterling is offside as he won’t know where the rest of the defensive line is. So I really don’t like that, but in fairness we would benefit from something similar on our first equaliser, which I’ll get to shortly.

So the ball is headed clear and there’s a foul by Fabinho, who was miles off the pace for the entire first half. City took a quick free-kick, about six yards away from where the foul took place. Should that have been pulled back? Probably yeah, but I also feel that the attacking team should get some leeway in those circumstances. Six yards of leeway? Not sure.

That advantage meant that De Bruyne had the ball on the edge of our box before we were in any kind of position to deal with him. His shot took a wicked deflection of Matip and left Alisson with no chance. Proper fucking spawn shit, and not for the first time as he did the same thing at Anfield earlier in the season. The net result of it was that we’d done the one thing you can’t fucking do against these pricks - concede early.

This is just a teaser, click here view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report Dave. I thought we were absolutely shocking in that first half. Sadio, Trent, Robbo and Fabinho all slipping on their arses yet I dont recall seeing any city players doing it. Wear. Some. Fucking. Proper. Studs. FFS!

City crowded us as we wanted to play the ball around the back and we were just inviting trouble. Not for the first time away at city I have to ask why were our players not ready for this?

The inevitable happened, We gave a foul away under pressure (Fabinho?) then was slow to react to city taking the free kick quickly. And yet again, an oppo has a shot outside the box and surprise, surprise, after buying a ticket in the lotto, wins a prize with yet another deflected goal off Matip.

If this was Skrtel deflecting shots into the net some people would be losing their shit. Joel, stop sticking your foot, knee, leg, whatever in the way of the shot if you're not fully blocking the thing!

I'll tell you something else that fucking annoys me, the number of times Robbo, Trent, Hendo, Fabinho, Jota and one or two others rush the oppo with the ball but never come away with it. Have we lost the art of tackling or what?

2 well taken goals by us but 10 minutes after scoring each, we seemed to retreat back into our shells. In the last 10 minutes, I thought we might nick it only to see Mahrez break through the offside trap and just have Alli to beat. Alli's reputation must have put him off or he wanted to be a prize cock winning the game with a cheeky chip.

Thankfully the cunt got it all wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Tyler instantly started looking for some reason for our first goal to be disallowed too. When he saw Mane in an offside position in the buildup you could hear the hope in his voice, and I got the impression that he was about to make a big thing of it before Neville quickly cut in and dismissed it. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that him getting worse in our games has occurred as we've become more successful. It was probably a lot easier to appear impartial when we were rarely threatening to win anything. 

A much improved second half but our passing was still infuriating at times in the final 20 minutes. It seemed like every dangerous City moment came from us giving the ball away cheaply. Hopefully Athletico take a lot out of them on Wednesday and that becomes a factor in the cup semi final. The Benfica game for us should be straightforward enough and surely has to be seen as being an opportunity to give a few players a rest. 

• Upvote 2

Worryingly, we've been second best to them or a few years now

We were lucky again yesterday

Fab was especially terrible and we looked nervous and disjointed

Klopp needs to try something else this weekend... we're losing the initiative 

• Upvote 1

City took a quick free-kick, about six yards away from where the foul took place. 

Fail too see how the ref allows that. How many times do we see a ref go all, it's not from there, move the ball back, no, back some more? Quick free kick I get, but from the right place.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mike23 said:

Tyler instantly started looking for some reason for our first goal to be disallowed too. When he saw Mane in an offside position in the buildup you could hear the hope in his voice, and I got the impression that he was about to make a big thing of it before Neville quickly cut in and dismissed it. I'm sure it's not a coincidence that him getting worse in our games has occurred as we've become more successful. It was probably a lot easier to appear impartial when we were rarely threatening to win anything. 

Yeah I noticed that in Tyler's commentary. He's an absolute twat. Wycombe fan my hairy arse!

I just can’t have your whole Leicester thing, Dave. You’re absolutely right in everything you say about what a shit result it was and yet when the margins are so fine every week in a competition  as ridiculously intense as the PL, it’s understandable that we have one or two proper shite days.

It’s actually pretty remarkable that we don’t have more though to be honest, because for pretty much the entire history of the English top flight, that’s been the norm. Even with that utter shit show we’re still light years better than anyone else who preceded us bar the cheating cunts out in front. 

So that performance and result is only shite because we’re trying to keep pace with cheats. And that’s not on us. 

• Upvote 6

Dave has his Leicester, mine is the 2 or 3 blatantly dreadful decisions made in city games that could well turn out to be the difference at the end of the season.

Imagine being in this Liverpool team and losing not through some fault in their own performances but by the hand of some incompetent/biased bastards.

We were sleeping on their first goal, which was unforgivable (although as DaylanPete mentions above it wasnt where the foul was). Plus it took a massive deflection. And the second goal was sloppy. 

I know we could have shipped a couple more goals, but the goals they did score weren't exactly world class. Which is disappointing in a way - we had to work really hard to score our goals, and they were gifted theirs. Infuriating. 

Meant to post this here instead of the other thread -

I dont agree with the narrative that Pep has figured us out. In the last 6 games we've played against City, they've won 2 and we've won 1. The others being 3 draws. Yes, they were probably the better team across the two draws this season but they still didnt beat us. We caused them enough problems each game.

The two they won in the last 6 include the

4-0 after we had won the league (some of our players still looked hungover). The 2nd win was at an empty Anfield with us missing Van Dijk and a couple other key players. 6 games and only 2 wins which have an asterisk. That doesnt qualify as "Pep has us figured out" in my opinion. Hope I'm not jinxing the FA cup semifinal now though.

1 minute ago, Supremolad said:

I dont agree with the narrative that Pep has figured us out. In the last 6 games we've played against City, they've won 2 and we've won 1. The others being 3 draws. Yes, they were probably the better team across the two draws this season but they still didnt beat us. We caused them enough problems each game.

4-0 after we had won the league (some of our players still looked hungover). The 2nd win was at an empty Anfield with us missing Van Dijk and a couple other key players. 6 games and only 2 wins which have an asterisk. That doesnt qualify as "Pep has us figured out" in my opinion. Hope I'm not jinxing the FA cup semifinal now though.

I posted my reply in the other thread.

Go and read it over there.

Also, City got caught offsides 5 times during the game. There were 2 or 3 other times the linesman didnt even raise his flag which were also offside decisions.

So I think they shouldnt be given too much praise for getting in behind on a few occasions. Our high line still did a decent job to catch them out at least 7 or 8 times.

They dont relish playing us, the same way we dont relish playing them. Guardiola repeatedly says we are an annoying pain in the ass for him. Let's not go overboard with credit to them, Dave. Yes our first half was poor but they still failed to put us away while we were more clinical with our chances.

9 hours ago, Paul said:

I just can’t have your whole Leicester thing, Dave. You’re absolutely right in everything you say about what a shit result it was and yet when the margins are so fine every week in a competition  as ridiculously intense as the PL, it’s understandable that we have one or two proper shite days.

It’s actually pretty remarkable that we don’t have more though to be honest, because for pretty much the entire history of the English top flight, that’s been the norm. Even with that utter shit show we’re still light years better than anyone else who preceded us bar the cheating cunts out in front. 

So that performance and result is only shite because we’re trying to keep pace with cheats. And that’s not on us. 

Yep. I mean, you could just as easily argue that the only reason Liverpool are anywhere near City is because they drew with Southampton. Twice. 

• Upvote 1

Spot on report, Dave. I share your view 100%. 

It`s like a chess game between Klopp and Guardiola. Pep has found a way to dominate games against us. Now it is time for Jurgen to come up with some tactical moves that can swing the games against them back in our favour. 

Anyway; what we can hope for now is beating them in the FA-cup and CL, which probably means that we win both, and it will make this a fanatstic season, regardless of the outcome of the league

Let’s face it; the league title is gone. I still have mental scars from the 18/19-season where they were one single point in front with 14 games to play. Not one of the useless other teams bothered/managed to take one fucking point from them during those 14 matches. It still makes me angry to think about it. With the program they have left, it is very unlikely that they will lose points. The only team that is capable to take points from them in a situation like this is us.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Paul said:

The Leicester result hurts because we missed a pen but for me the draw with Brighton from 2 up was piss poor. Lets also not forget the ridiculous pen decisions v Wolves and Everton in the  oil cheats favour. That's a 4 point swing in those 2 games alone.

Great to have your match reports again Dave.

A few things came to mind watching the game. Firstly Klopp got the selection wrong. Fabinho is getting stick for having a bad game which is true but we have always been good at defending from the front and not playing Bobby was in effect taking away our best defender up front. This meant that City could play thrrough and get the ball in to KDB who killed us with his ability on the ball.

Secondly Ali all round game is very good especially positionally and shot stopping but his distribution is his weakest part and his calmness with the ball at his feet borders on lackadaisical which puts others under pressure. City have sussed thsi and they play the highest of high presses against us. It wouldnt harm for the first 10 minutes having played around at the back one or twice to then put your foot through it rather than getting stuck in ever decreasing circles which leads to a turnover in a more dangerous place.

On a more positive note going forward I though we looked dangerous throughout the whole match and they were very wary of us so the key has to be to get more possession and move it forward quicker against these.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

The Leicester result hurts because we missed a pen but for me the draw with Brighton from 2 up was piss poor. Lets also not forget the ridiculous pen decisions v Wolves and Everton in the  oil cheats favour. That's a 4 point swing in those 2 games alone.

Yeah, the Brighton draw and the Brentford away draw are the games that annoy me.  

12 hours ago, Jimmy Hills Chin said:

Dave has his Leicester, mine is the 2 or 3 blatantly dreadful decisions made in city games that could well turn out to be the difference at the end of the season.

Imagine being in this Liverpool team and losing not through some fault in their own performances but by the hand of some incompetent/biased bastards.

I have those too mate, the Everton and Wolves ones especially. Those aren't anything we can control though. Beating Leicester was, so that's why it's my focus.

11 hours ago, Supremolad said:

I'm basing it on the eye test as much as (if not more than) the actual results.

I used to fancy us to steamroller them. Now it's clear we can't do that and we're having to scramble to stay with them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Judge said:

Spot on report, Dave. I share your view 100%. 

It`s like a chess game between Klopp and Guardiola. Pep has found a way to dominate games against us. Now it is time for Jurgen to come up with some tactical moves that can swing the games against them back in our favour. 

Anyway; what we can hope for now is beating them in the FA-cup and CL, which probably means that we win both, and it will make this a fanatstic season, regardless of the outcome of the league

Let’s face it; the league title is gone. I still have mental scars from the 18/19-season where they were one single point in front with 14 games to play. Not one of the useless other teams bothered/managed to take one fucking point from them during those 14 matches. It still makes me angry to think about it. With the program they have left, it is very unlikely that they will lose points. The only team that is capable to take points from them in a situation like this is us.

They aren’t as good as that year. They are going to drop points, but can we make 21 out 7 while still competing in CL ?

They are very strong mentally, like us, but they should have won that game and therefore the league Sunday. I’m sure there mad about  that. 

Great report Dave. I wanted Mane subbed at half time I thought he was dreadful but fair to him great goal and he was much better in second half.

Every  second of that match was horrible to watch….my stress levels hit new heights. To think we have to go through it all again on Saturday. I’m praying they get knocked out in Champs league as I don’t want to play them in Paris if we get there !

• dave u unpinned this topic