You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Man City 2 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

tlw content

It's as you were in the title race as the Reds were unable to close the gap on leaders City and needed to twice come from behind to even secure a draw.

Chris Smith is joined by Julian Richards and TLW Editor Dave Usher to discuss the game and the implications of the result on the rest of the season. Do we need to change our approach against City now? Can we win out and even if we can, will it be enough?

View full article

• Upvote 6

• dave u pinned this topic

I love Dave's analysis. He tells it how it is, the good points and the bad points and isnt into absolutes like some.

Totally agree with Dave about changing our style against them and think we'll get beat if we approach the semi the way we did this game.

First half was very, very poor. Felt we put ourselves under far too much pressure trying to play it around at the back. We've got away with it against lesser teams but it doesnt work against city. And Matip needs to stop deflecting De Bruyne's shots past Alli!

Wembley's pitch isnt bigger. It's the same length but a metre wider, isnt it?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

I love Dave's analysis. He tells it how it is, the good points and the bad points and isnt into absolutes like some.

Totally agree with Dave about changing our style against them and think we'll get beat if we approach the semi the way we did this game.

First half was very, very poor. Felt we put ourselves under far too much pressure trying to play it around at the back. We've got away with it against lesser teams but it doesnt work against city. And Matip needs to stop deflecting De Bruyne's shots past Alli!

Wembley's pitch isnt bigger. It's the same length but a metre wider, isnt it?

Quite telling that the side who have had the most joy against them this season is Spurs who, against the top sides, defend very deep and hit quickly on the break with runners through the middle. Kane is excellent at holding the ball up in midfield then laying it off into runs from the likes of Son. That's the way we need to play in the semi final.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

If we play the same system as yesterday, we need to have alot more intensity, especially in midfield, to cut out the through balls against our high line. If we show the same timid indecision as the first half, we'll more than likely get beat.

Agreed.

The thing is, even if we decided to defend deep and play on the counter, we'd have to beat their press and get out consistently to be effective, which we could barely do for most of the game yesterday anyway. It would defend against the diagonals they hit over the line, but it's not doing much else if we can't get out.

• Upvote 1

You bypass it by getting it up the forwards early and back them to win some of the one v ones they'll have.

I don't think we will mix things up, I just think that we should.

With regards to Rushie's Tash's post about needing more intensity in midfield if we're to play the way we want to, I agree but there's a problem there. That's our best midfield three and none of the other options would offer more intensity than them, so not really sure what we can do.

I expect Klopp's answer to it will be to just play better. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Agreed.

The thing is, even if we decided to defend deep and play on the counter, we'd have to beat their press and get out consistently to be effective, which we could barely do for most of the game yesterday anyway. It would defend against the diagonals they hit over the line, but it's not doing much else if we can't get out.

The amount of times I found myself shouting "just twat it" at the screen yesterday. I'd rather we bypassed their press by hitting the channels with Mané, Salah or Diaz than fanny about with it at the back like we were doing. All that did was encourage them to press even more.

7 minutes ago, dave u said:

You bypass it by getting it up the forwards early and back them to win some of the one v ones they'll have.

I don't think we will mix things up, I just think that we should.

With regards to Rushie's Tash's post about needing more intensity in midfield if we're to play the way we want to, I agree but there's a problem there. That's our best midfield three and none of the other options would offer more intensity than them, so not really sure what we can do.

I expect Klopp's answer to it will be to just play better. 

5 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

The amount of times I found myself shouting "just twat it" at the screen yesterday. I'd rather we bypassed their press by hitting the channels with Mané, Salah or Diaz than fanny about with it at the back like we were doing. All that did was encourage them to press even more.

In theory, yes, you get it early to the forwards but I suspect it would be difficult for our forwards, who are pretty much all 5 foot 8, to win the physical duel with City's centre backs. And if you hit it early and it's never working, City will engulf you until you're defending in your box.

The thing that works so well with Spurs against them is that Kane is like a #10 with the physical qualities of a striker. So he can drop and then he can spray the ball into the channels for Son, or Spurs can go long to him and he can sometimes handle the battle.

The most similar thing we could do if we tried to play like that is have Firmino in that role, but he doesn't have Kane's passing range to send the wingers through as effectively.

You spoke about the linesmen doing your head in - it's also worth mentioning Klopp going mental at one point at the 4th official because the linesman on City's attacks would keep his flag down until their move had broken down or they got a shot away, whereas our offsides got flagged straight away.

• Upvote 1

Often when you watch a match back its completely different to watching it live which the emotions running wild. I initially thought we were shit, especially first half.

Having watched it back we weren't really, we created 7 or 8 situations in the first half that we proceeded to butcher. 

- Jota clean through.

- Trent had a easy pass to Mo but shot from 60 yards

- Hendo had a clear shot 18 yards out  it but passed to the stupid 7 foot tall adverts.

- We created a 2 v1 when Sadio put Robbo in and he played a shit cross.

- Mo had a 2v2 where he over hit it.

Obviously there is the goal and one or 2 other opportunities that we messed up.

These were situations City give up once or twice in a game, we had plenty but where sloppy or made the wrong decision. Lack of composure is shitness I suppose but we were closer than I originally thought. 

Good pod again, loved the little rant about Manchester the place.

FYI my Spotify was freezing regularly, don't know if it was just me.

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Halcyon Days said:

Great Pod again boys, best out there for me.

Happy Mondays fun fact, Bez is a Scouser. Well his parents are from Norris Green so does that count?

And the posh fella Chris really hates mancs doesn't he? Great rant haha!

Posh! That’s the first time I’ve ever been called that in my life haha. My parents would be proud. 

Even Everton could have drawn with these but for one of the worst decisions (or lack thereof) you will ever see. 

Throw in the CL, a potential Ederson kamikaze moment, another De Bruyne injury...

Long way to go yet. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Can someone please get Paul one of those lame Madchester training tops so he can fully express his manc love.

He'll be touting Guardiola as Klopp's replacement next.

Ha, ha, ha!!! Don’t make me screenshot the group chat. 

• dave u unpinned this topic