Jump to content
Trumo

Benfica (H) - UCL Quarter Final 2nd leg, Wed 13th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Aventus said:

There's a saying in Formula 1, that the idea is to win the race in the lowest possible time.

 

You don't get extra credit for blowing away the competition, all you get is extra wear and tear on your car, which can cause bigger problems later on. 

 

There's a saying amongst swordsmen that if you give that fit bird you meet in a pub your best she might try and find out who you are. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Fair post. Nothing wrong with offering some constructive criticism. I just feel need proper context needs to be applied. One of the games was away to Man City  who aside from us are the best team in Europe. They were always likely to score against us, as we are likely to do so against them. They had the best defence in the league and still shipped two to us.

 

The 3 conceded against Benfica has to be taken in proper perspective. Firstly that isnt our first choice defence at all. And more importantly, I wager all the 5 lads in defence tonight have never played together at all. That counts for something. The other thing is the team collectively switched off just a bit after going 6-2 up on aggregate. They shouldn't do so but these guys are human. Even the greatest teams are prone to switching off a bit ovcasionally when they think a game is won 

 

And finally, Benfica are not mugs. They made it this far because they are decent and us making so many changes was always going to give them a fighting chance of nicking a draw.

All good points and I take on board all you've said. I just dont like us conceeding goals.

 

Hupefully these are just a blip and we become real tight arses at the back again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You saw City get tired and be shaky against Atletico as well. The game Sunday would have taken a lot out of both teams. It wasn't great and the intensity wasn't really there. This was more a case of just getting it over with. With all the rotation and the pre-planned subs, it looked like a fitness exercise.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, I was a bit guilty of doing it with Mané last season because he had a bad season and I was expecting we might sell him soon, but the comments on Firmino from a lot of people about him being shite and cooked are consistently incredibly stupid. It's very clear to see what he brings still and he has a very good goal per minute ratio this season.

 

We have 4 attackers who favour a more direct style now which leaves him more on the outside, but besides the more frequent injuries, he's having a good season.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, suzy said:

My stream died and I missed the last goal, can’t believe we actually drew on the night! Still on we march.

Pretty happy overall. Maybe they found our offside trap vulnerable w/o VVD, dunno but going back to the yr we won it, there were some dodgy ends to games in the knock out stages. I remember us conceding late goals back then too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Also, I was a bit guilty of doing it with Mané last season because he had a bad season and I was expecting we might sell him soon, but the comments on Firmino from a lot of people about him being shite and cooked are consistently incredibly stupid. It's very clear to see what he brings still and he has a very good goal per minute ratio this season.

 

We have 4 attackers who favour a more direct style now which leaves him more on the outside, but besides the more frequent injuries, he's having a good season.

You would not be making these noises had his second half been as dire as his first.  He was awful first half, better second half.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Pretty happy overall. Maybe they found our offside trap vulnerable w/o VVD, dunno but going back to the yr we won it, there were some dodgy ends to games in the knock out stages. I remember us conceding late goals back then too

I was never worried or nervous though. 
Hope city get knocked out, do not want to meet them in the final.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Job done. Being 3-1 up probably effected our mentality knowing it was job done. I know it's a boring trending topic but the really high line worries me a bit, teams have cottoned on to the fact it's very much a tactic of ours utilising VAR and offsides most sides aren't good enough to do much about it  but there's goals to be had for ones who do. The spurs game worries me. Tonight though, we're through and quite comfortably whilst resting legs, another semi final.. what more could you ask for. 

 

Actually I'll ask for the same thing I always do please be more clinical because I'm greedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, suzy said:

I was never worried or nervous though. 
Hope city get knocked out, do not want to meet them in the final.

Yes that would be shit wouldn't it?  FA Cup Semi Final, League title battle then Champions League final all against Man City.  No thanks!

Unless we win them all, obviously.  That would be ok.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, m0e said:

Why does it concern you? When have we ever played badly for a sustained period of time?

 

Let alone without getting the results?

 

I know, when we had all our centre halves out with injury, and our main midfield too, just for giggles.

Because it's a situation where we will need all our squad to step up and play a part if we want to win more trophies. I just hope we aren't as casual as that, defensively speaking,before the season's end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yes that would be shit wouldn't it?  FA Cup Semi Final, League title battle then Champions League final all against Man City.  No thanks!

Unless we win them all, obviously.  That would be ok.

 

It was always going to happen, we are the two best club sides in the world.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, suzy said:

I was never worried or nervous though. 
Hope city get knocked out, do not want to meet them in the final.

Me too. I have a feeling - not trying to read too much into it - it’s going to be a re-match between us & Real. Mo’s going to extract his revenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shows serious strength in depth that we were able to make seven changes from our 'first' team from Sunday for such an important European tie. If anything, Fabinho, Thiago and Mo coming on disrupted our rhythm a bit before we conceded the two late goals. It also keeps lads like Tsimikas, Gomez and Konate in good nick should they be needed again soon. 

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

If anything, Fabinho, Thiago and Mo coming on disrupted our rhythm a bit before we conceded the two late goals. 

Crossed my mind as well. Wondered if the original guys were determined to make their mark whereas the first teamers were looking at it as a fitness session in an already won game to keep ticking over and avoid getting injured for the weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have said, we started with a second string eleven and a defence that's never played together before. That second point (along with the lateness of their goals when we were already on the beach) is especially important in explaining the conceded goals given the high line we play and the discipline and familiarity among the players needed to employ it properly.

 

If there's any argument to be had on this it would be that Klopp, knowing this, should change the defensive line when changing the defence, although that's not something I'd necessarily go along with. 

 

At the end of the day, we're through to the semis (the semi-final of the Champion's fucking League), at no point were we clinging on in desperation, and we've rested most of our first team in the process for another semi-final this weekend. 

 

We're not perfect, but we're not too shabby either. Enjoy the fucking ride.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Shows serious strength in depth that we were able to make seven changes from our 'first' team from Sunday for such an important European tie. If anything, Fabinho, Thiago and Mo coming on disrupted our rhythm a bit before we conceded the two late goals. It also keeps lads like Tsimikas, Gomez and Konate in good nick should they be needed again soon. 

Imagine anyone going into a European quarter-final with a spine of the quality of van Dijk, Fabinho, Thiago, Salah & Mané missing from the starting lineup. Nobody else would get the result they need in those circumstances.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Also, I was a bit guilty of doing it with Mané last season because he had a bad season and I was expecting we might sell him soon, but the comments on Firmino from a lot of people about him being shite and cooked are consistently incredibly stupid. It's very clear to see what he brings still and he has a very good goal per minute ratio this season.

 

We have 4 attackers who favour a more direct style now which leaves him more on the outside, but besides the more frequent injuries, he's having a good season.

 

I'll probably get some comments on being his dad again, but this ridiculous narrative needs to be stopped. If we disregard the Covid-season (without fans and pacey central defenders), which most on here think we should, he's basically had a rough 6 month-spell where he's had recurring injuries and Covid himself. Whenever he's been available, he's been as good as anyone not named Salah from the forward line playing-wise. 

 

The ONE thing I'll give his detractors is that his passing (slightly longer distance, like 15-30 metres) has been below par for a few of the games he's played this season, which has led to a few unnecessary counter-attacks. Guess what though, that's a lot bigger problem with all our other forwards (and most forwards in the league). The effort, the close control, the pressing and the quick interchanges between him and the other forwards are all still a joy to watch (unless you're looking to feed the "finished" narrative). It also looks to me like Firmino is nearing peak physical condition again after a tough time both illness-/injury-wise and due to lack of minutes.

 

We've finally (after a few years of people nagging about it being a huge problem) got real depth in the forward positions. Most have been screaming for it, thinking it will lead to heightened competition and better performances. In many cases, that will happen. In other cases, it leads to lack of rythm and decreased self-belief. I don't know how it will affect Mane and Firmino medium/long-term (Salah probably starts no matter what due to his goal-threat and left-footedness), but I can't really get why people are in such a hurry to get rid of something we know works for something completely unproven (the Nunez shouts in the Summer Transfer thread for example).

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lebron said:

 

I'll probably get some comments on being his dad again, but this ridiculous narrative needs to be stopped. If we disregard the Covid-season (without fans and pacey central defenders), which most on here think we should, he's basically had a rough 6 month-spell where he's had recurring injuries and Covid himself. Whenever he's been available, he's been as good as anyone not named Salah from the forward line playing-wise. 

 

The ONE thing I'll give his detractors is that his passing (slightly longer distance, like 15-30 metres) has been below par for a few of the games he's played this season, which has led to a few unnecessary counter-attacks. Guess what though, that's a lot bigger problem with all our other forwards (and most forwards in the league). The effort, the close control, the pressing and the quick interchanges between him and the other forwards are all still a joy to watch (unless you're looking to feed the "finished" narrative). It also looks to me like Firmino is nearing peak physical condition again after a tough time both illness-/injury-wise and due to lack of minutes.

 

We've finally (after a few years of people nagging about it being a huge problem) got real depth in the forward positions. Most have been screaming for it, thinking it will lead to heightened competition and better performances. In many cases, that will happen. In other cases, it leads to lack of rythm and decreased self-belief. I don't know how it will affect Mane and Firmino medium/long-term (Salah probably starts no matter what due to his goal-threat and left-footedness), but I can't really get why people are in such a hurry to get rid of something we know works for something completely unproven (the Nunez shouts in the Summer Transfer thread for example).

 

 

Agree with that. I love Bobby, I thought last season he relied too much on the back heels that didnt come off. It was great seeing him instinctively notch 2 goals last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Me too. I have a feeling - not trying to read too much into it - it’s going to be a re-match between us & Real. Mo’s going to extract his revenge.

I like that version!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Me too. I have a feeling - not trying to read too much into it - it’s going to be a re-match between us & Real. Mo’s going to extract his revenge.

It's in Paris. It will be a dour match decided by an Andy Robbo goal.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

 

There's a saying amongst swordsmen that if you give that fit bird you meet in a pub your best she might try and find out who you are. 

Who told you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rubble-rouser said:

I’ve never witnessed him offer to open someone like a can of tuna.

Not one of my finest moments to be fair. I shit myself when she heard me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×