You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (H) - UCL Quarter Final 2nd leg, Wed 13th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

11 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Why was their 3rd goal given? It looked a mile offside on the first VAR pictures.

I couldn't understand why the commentators were acting like it would be disallowed and then full on shock when it wasn't, looked clearly offside to the naked eye... Was surprised it was as close as it was when they put the lines up

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'm annoyed at the performance more than anything. We always look like scoring goals whoever we play but the defending was a bit Keystone Kops,or should that be Klopps? Anyway,the performances in the last two games have been really poor, with most of our squad getting a run out so no excuses for anybody really. I was surprised at how easily Alisson was beaten tonight given his usual brilliance too. A very strange evening indeed.

The defending was always going to be a bit ropey. Has that exact back four even played together at all? 

I think the good thing to know is we made 7 changes and still got the job done with something spare in the tank. I don't get why people expected a fluent performance from start to finish from a much changed side. Benfica ain't entirely mugs. Teams in the Qfinals of the CL usually aren't. We didnt get beat, we got through. Let's stop being so fucking spoilt.

In another champions league Semi, absolutely delightful.

Mad game tonight, to get expected making 7 changes and so many at the back. Quite unlike Klopp, but was the right decision given the situation we find ourselves fighting on three fronts now.

Delighted for Bobby, two proper number 9 goals, 2 off 100 for us now. Would be brilliant if he can grab a few more until the end of the season. Konate finding his range in the air also almost welcome. Tsimikas was also brilliant tonight I thought.

The red machine keeps rolling.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

The defending was always going to be a bit ropey. Has that exact back four even played together at all? 

I think the good thing to know is we made 7 changes and still got the job done with something spare in the tank. I don't get why people expected a fluent performance from start to finish from a much changed side. Benfica ain't entirely mugs. Teams in the Qfinals of the CL usually aren't. We didnt get beat, we got through. Let's stop being so fucking spoilt.

It's more that we've been very poor in two games running,not just a one off. That concerns me. I hope the lads put a show on again at the weekend but we will have to improve. The big concern is 'is tiredness creeping in or is it just pressure?' We can handle the pressure but the tiredness is the big concern.

Just now, VladimirIlyich said:

It's more that we've been very poor in two games running,not just a one off. That concerns me. I hope the lads put a show on again at the weekend but we will have to improve. The big concern is 'is tiredness creeping in or is it just pressure?' We can handle the pressure but the tiredness is the big concern.

Why does it concern you? When have we ever played badly for a sustained period of time?

Let alone without getting the results?

I know, when we had all our centre halves out with injury, and our main midfield too, just for giggles.

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

So, let's not do that.

Here's a thought; maybe we could start with our first choice XI on Saturday.

I'm not annoyed by that at all. We're in the semi-final of the European Cup and we still have a full tank for Saturday. Enjoy it.

I really enjoyed that performance. Loads of fun, qualification never in doubt and some valuable game time for the squad. Great times.

• Upvote 5

At the end of the day everything that is happening at present has to be looked at in the context of the run of massive games we are in and have just added to by qualifying for the semis of the European Cup.

It’s all about doing what is needed to stay in the hunt for each trophy and where possible resting legs/managing workloads and players fitness as much as possible whilst still getting the job done - like tonight.

A rarely (if ever) used defensive 4 plus a drop off in intensity led to letting in a couple of goals tonight but we’re still through and with a decent shout of being a bit fresher than the cheating bastards will be on Saturday....we can go really strong and not feel like we are flogging players too much.

We also have the mancs on Tues and as shite as they are they will of course be dead up for it - the fixture of course demands that is case....and we'll need to be on it.

The games are coming thick and fast as we chase something that has never been done before....

1 pt off top of league with 7 games left

Semis of European cup

Semis of FA Cup

League Cup already bagged

These are the days....these are the fucking days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

9 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

In another champions league Semi, absolutely delightful.

Mad game tonight, to get expected making 7 changes and so many at the back. Quite unlike Klopp, but was the right decision given the situation we find ourselves fighting on three fronts now.

Delighted for Bobby, two proper number 9 goals, 2 off 100 for us now. Would be brilliant if he can grab a few more until the end of the season. Konate finding his range in the air also almost welcome. Tsimikas was also brilliant tonight I thought.

The red machine keeps rolling.

I was only thinking today that in the CL under Rafa we had a clean sweep of eventualities. Our record was:

2005 Won

2006 Lost in last 16

2007 Lost final 

2008 Lost semi final 

2009 Lost quarter final 

2010 Knocked out in group stage

Under Klopp in the CL our record is:

2018 Lost final

2019 Won

2020 Lost in last 16

2021 Lost quarter final 

If we lose the semi final, prepare for a shock exit in the group stages next year. Just saying

13 minutes ago, m0e said:

Why does it concern you? When have we ever played badly for a sustained period of time?

Let alone without getting the results?

I know, when we had all our centre halves out with injury, and our main midfield too, just for giggles.

You forgot «and no fans».

Last season does not really exist in my head, football without fans is not really football. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Whatever you say superfan. Bet you wear a full kit on match days 

Good job on the addition of the second sentence to the original post.

That's how you use context to set up the punch line.

And what a punchline that was, eh?

You must be so proud.

Original and witty, while shining a light on the truth.

And there I was on the GF thinking you didn't understand how to structure jokes!

I probably deserve a slap for that, now.

Klopp:

On how it feels to reach his third Champions League semi-final with Liverpool...

It's great, absolutely great. It never happened that I take something like this for granted. I'm really, really happy. That's it pretty much. I said it now a couple of times, I know we will talk about the game and the things that happened, the goals we conceded and all of these kind of things, but on a day when I'm not over the moon about qualifying for the Champions League semi-finals then something is really wrong – maybe it would be the right time just to quit. So, it's all good.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, fungus said:

I couldn't understand why the commentators were acting like it would be disallowed and then full on shock when it wasn't, looked clearly offside to the naked eye... Was surprised it was as close as it was when they put the lines up

Fine margins, though. The back line was breached twice by decisions so tight that the ref and lino called both of them offside - and that's the kind of Keystone Kops defending that good teams never do. If whoever played them onside had stepped up an inch or two, we'd have won 3-1 and the moaners would have had to try harder to find something to moan about.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, m0e said:

Good job on the addition of the second sentence to the original post.

That's how you use context to the set up the punch line.

And what a punchline that was, eh?

You must be so proud.

Original and witty, while shining a light on the truth.

And there I was on the GF thinking you didn't understand how to structure jokes!

I probably deserve a slap for that, now.

You definitely deserve something I’ll give you that. Now sort your streams out, big game Saturday.

This time last year, we were out of all competitions and were wondering if we would even make it into the top 4.

As of today we are still in 3 competitions, having won one other. But we have cunts whinging about a "shite/sloppy/horrendous performance". Being hypercritical of a much changed team which was comfortable enough to go through to a CL semis. 

These are the cunts who would still find something to complain about even if we won all 38 league games in a season.

• Upvote 3