You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Benfica (H) - UCL Quarter Final 2nd leg, Wed 13th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

You definitely deserve something I’ll give you that. Now sort your streams out, big game Saturday.

And the gags keep on coming.

You're well on your way to your first special.

And boy, aren't you special.

6 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Fine margins, though. The back line was breached twice by decisions so tight that the ref and lino called both of them offside - and that's the kind of Keystone Kops defending that good teams never do. If whoever played them onside had stepped up an inch or two, we'd have won 3-1 and the moaners would have had to try harder to find something to moan about.

The lines are to straight. 

You want to coast through a game? Here's how you do it: you keep possession. You pass to feet, you move the opponents around, you keep your patience, and you pounce as they tire. That's how you do it. That's how your reserves do it. That's how a much-changed team does it. That's how a different back four keen to avoid mix-ups does it. 

What you don't do is play the ball out of touch repeatedly, try ludicrously hopeful balls into a crowded box, keep giving the ball away around your own box, and fall over a lot. That really is nothing to celebrate or excuse. It isn't conserving of energy, it isn't controlling a game, it isn't a good run out for the reserves, it isn't an acceptable performance. Maybe it is if you're some mid-table team having a wild adventure in Europe. Not otherwise. Paisley would have gone berserk at that kind of shambles, because he'd know it served no positive purpose in any sense. And if you think that Klopp, privately, isn't angry about some of that, you're deluded. True, it isn't a disaster, but you don't encourage bad habits and you demand to be impressed by those trying to get into the first team. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gkmacca said:

You want to coast through a game? Here's how you do it: you keep possession. You pass to feet, you move the opponents around, you keep your patience, and you pounce as they tire. That's how you do it. That's how your reserves do it. That's how a much-changed team does it. That's how a different back four keen to avoid mix-ups does it. 

What you don't do is play the ball out of touch repeatedly, try ludicrously hopeful balls into a crowded box, keep giving the ball away around your own box, and fall over a lot. That really is nothing to celebrate or excuse. It isn't conserving of energy, it isn't controlling a game, it isn't a good run out for the reserves, it isn't an acceptable performance. Maybe it is if you're some mid-table team having a wild adventure in Europe. Not otherwise. Paisley would have gone berserk at that kind of shambles, because he'd know it served no positive purpose in any sense. And if you think that Klopp, privately, isn't angry about some of that, you're deluded. True, it isn't a disaster, but you don't encourage bad habits and you demand to be impressed by those trying to get into the first team. 

We'll have no independent thought on here thank you very much.

15 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

This time last year, we were out of all competitions and were wondering if we would even make it into the top 4.

As of today we are still in 3 competitions, having won one other. But we have cunts whinging about a "shite/sloppy/horrendous performance". Being hypercritical of a much changed team which was comfortable enough to go through to a CL semis. 

These are the cunts who would still find something to complain about even if we won all 38 league games in a season.

If we conceded one goal all season, the defence would get dog's abuse for it.

• Upvote 2

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Careful, now.

You'll be accused of wearing full kits, and something about streaming.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Some goals you cant avoid. They're either well worked or some twat buys a ticket in the lottery and scores a once in their life time goal against us.

A goal's a goal but sloppy goals do grind my gears. Appreciate one's man's well worked goal is another's sloppy one.

Like I said elsewhere, Ive no problem with Jurgen's team tonight. I am majorly disappointed we conceeded 3 tonight and 2 on Sunday. One, our best team, the other a second 11 put out to do a job. Funny game football but I wouldnt want a repeat of the goals on Tuesday as the league is still the priority for me.

Sometimes I think we still go a bit gung ho, like tonight, chasing goals when we should be making sure we dont conceed in the last 15-20 minutes.

How many arses would have been squeaking if another of those offside goals had been legit?

Jurgen's done great getting us to be in the hunt for 4 trophies with one in the cabinet. But, it could quickly go tits up if we ship goals like in the last few games and the EFL Cup becomes the only one in the cabinet.

We play a very high line, the crux of which is a disciplined offside trap. 

3/4 of our defence isn't our first choice, and have never played a game together, so the strict back line that we normally base our defence around didn't have the same synchronisation that it normally would do. As a result they got a couple of goals that were borderline onside. 

Why are people so anxious about this? Losing 1-0 to inter was a worse result and people weren't arsed. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Some goals you cant avoid. They're either well worked or some twat buys a ticket in the lottery and scores a once in their life time goal against us.

A goal's a goal but sloppy goals do grind my gears. Appreciate one's man's well worked goal is another's sloppy one.

Like I said elsewhere, Ive no problem with Jurgen's team tonight. I am majorly disappointed we conceeded 3 tonight and 2 on Sunday. One, our best team, the other a second 11 put out to do a job. Funny game football but I wouldnt want a repeat of the goals on Tuesday as the league is still the priority for me.

Sometimes I think we still go a bit gung ho, like tonight, chasing goals when we should be making sure we dont conceed in the last 15-20 minutes.

How many arses would have been squeaking if another of those offside goals had been legit?

Jurgen's done great getting us to be in the hunt for 4 trophies with one in the cabinet. But, it could quickly go tits up if we ship goals like in the last few games and the EFL Cup becomes the only one in the cabinet.

For the last 10-15 minutes, I was hoping we could sneak Milner back on to calm things down.

I don't think this is the start of a trend, though. We conceded 2 on Sunday because we were up against the best team we can play against. (The only other team that good is us.) We conceded 3 tonight, because we could afford to make a million changes, so loads of players got a run out, but none got knackered or injured. 

I can't see us shipping goals or dropping points against United, because we won't make that many changes and United are shite.

• Upvote 2

I think Klopp has got us stepping at the level we need to be in every game. No point over exerting if we can save some fuel. I'm cool with that. We all should be. The only one that annoys me is not putting 7/8 past Utd at Mordor. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fair post. Nothing wrong with offering some constructive criticism. I just feel need proper context needs to be applied. One of the games was away to Man City  who aside from us are the best team in Europe. They were always likely to score against us, as we are likely to do so against them. They had the best defence in the league and still shipped two to us.

The 3 conceded against Benfica has to be taken in proper perspective. Firstly that isnt our first choice defence at all. And more importantly, I wager all the 5 lads in defence tonight have never played together at all. That counts for something. The other thing is the team collectively switched off just a bit after going 6-2 up on aggregate. They shouldn't do so but these guys are human. Even the greatest teams are prone to switching off a bit ovcasionally when they think a game is won 

And finally, Benfica are not mugs. They made it this far because they are decent and us making so many changes was always going to give them a fighting chance of nicking a draw.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think Klopp has got us stepping at the level we need to be in every game. No point over exerting if we can save some fuel. I'm cool with that. We all should be. The only one that annoys me is not putting 7/8 past Utd at Mordor. 

There's a saying in Formula 1, that the idea is to win the race in the lowest possible time.

You don't get extra credit for blowing away the competition, all you get is extra wear and tear on your car, which can cause bigger problems later on. 

• Upvote 2