You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is your guitar hero?

I like Jack White a lot.

James Dean Bradfield is hugely underrated.

I used to like The Edge - he was like the anti guitar hero...no shredding, no fancy playing but created his own sonic soundscape with the delay and the minimalist approach...but sadly he and his band turned into an absolute pile of shite about 20 years ago and never recovered.

Johnny Marr is boss.

I really enjoy Carrie Brownstein's playing from Sleater-Kinney and her band mate Corin Tucker.. The thing with Sleater-Kinney as a guitar band is the way the two guitarists play off each other. There is no bass guitar but there is basslines, which Corin Tucker played through a harmonizer when she wasn’t playing the trademark rhythms.

Annie Clark (St. Vincent) is someone i admire too.

Kim Deal may be known more for Bass playing - but she does it brilliantly IMO and is an underrated player on both bass and lead/rhythm...I love her off kilter style.

Jonny Greenwood is genius, very very versatile...

Others include - PJ Harvey, Thurston Moore, Black Francis, Nick Zinner, Prince, Graham Coxon, Will Sergeant and John Squire.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Pretty much anybody who can make a guitar sound melodic and pleasant. No heroes,just a strong respect for talented people. I hate all that loud pointless stuff that usually belongs to the heavy metal genre and by people with hair longer than a girl's.

Hair longer than a girls? You sound like my old fella!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Pretty much anybody who can make a guitar sound melodic and pleasant. No heroes,just a strong respect for talented people. I hate all that loud pointless stuff that usually belongs to the heavy metal genre and by people with hair longer than a girl's.

IMG_2840.JPG
Could do all your requirements and had hair longer than a girls.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Great mandolin (or is it a lute?) player?

He is playing a fair bit of mandolin recently with Blackmores Night, but I always preferred him ripping the piss out of a Fender Strat, the good thing about being the age I am is that I saw him at his peak, and he was, for me, untouchable

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, redinblack said:

He is playing a fair bit of mandolin recently with Blackmores Night, but I always preferred him ripping the piss out of a Fender Strat, the good thing about being the age I am is that I saw him at his peak, and he was, for me, untouchable

Agreed.  Love a bit of Purple or Rainbow. 
Long Live Rock and Roll is a fantastic album.

• Upvote 2

Green, Gilmour, Howe, Fripp, Hendrix, Clapton, Harvey Mann, Mick Taylor, Robin Trower, Brian May…… the usual suspects.

However, this a special shout out to one of the most underrated players and a surprise influence on many later players, including Brian May who even today, uses a Treble Master, as his idol did. May could always be seen at the London clubs as a kid, closely watching this guy strut his stuff.

How did he get his sound?

1. A Fender Stratocaster.

2. A Vox AC30 Combo

3. A Treble Master.

That’s it.

Now here’s a master class for any would be Strat player. No pedals, no gimmicks, just an amazing technique with pick, close volume and tone control, all from the guitar.

Still moves me after 48 yrs.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No man should have hair that long. Bring back National Service......Barbers.

Better?

IMG_2843.JPG
Can’t believe some cunt negged me posting Edward Van Halen.  Good job none of the Liverpool players of the 70s had long hair…

On 09/04/2022 at 20:03, Vincent Vega said:

I’m going to see Simple Minds at the Echo Arena next Saturday. I’ve read that they’re on for 2 1/2 hours so hopefully get to hear a few tracks from their older stuff which I prefer.

Me too, mate, i left it until late getting tickets as i assumed it was a "singles" type tour which i couldn't be bothered with at all. Having looked at the set list(s) they do a lot of the "hits" but also some of my favourite album tracks like "Book of Brilliant Things" and "Hunter and the Hunted", so i can't wait now.

Oh and for the record, it's Johnny Marr, Geordie Walker, Johnny Greenwood and Daniel Lanois in terms of "guitar heroes" - all hugely innovative and all completely different. 

7 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Green, Gilmour, Howe, Fripp, Hendrix, Clapton, Harvey Mann, Mick Taylor, Robin Trower, Brian May…… the usual suspects.

However, this a special shout out to one of the most underrated players and a surprise influence on many later players, including Brian May who even today, uses a Treble Master, as his idol did. May could always be seen at the London clubs as a kid, closely watching this guy strut his stuff.

How did he get his sound?

1. A Fender Stratocaster.

2. A Vox AC30 Combo

3. A Treble Master.

That’s it.

Now here’s a master class for any would be Strat player. No pedals, no gimmicks, just an amazing technique with pick, close volume and tone control, all from the guitar.

Still moves me after 48 yrs.

I remember David Coverdale saying Deep Purple wanted to approach Rory Gallagher when Ritchie Blackmore left and Tommy Bolin got the job.

Saw Rory several times he was brilliant.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, redinblack said:

I remember David Coverdale saying Deep Purple wanted to approach Rory Gallagher when Ritchie Blackmore left and Tommy Bolin got the job.

Saw Rory several times he was brilliant.

Tommy Bolin wasn't bad either...

• Upvote 1