You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is your guitar hero?

14 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Most of mine have already been mentioned but here's some that haven't.

Duane Allman,

Ritchie Blackmore,

Michael Schenker,

Stevie Ray Vaughan,

Mark Knopfler,

To name but a few. 

Knopfler rep 

13 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Charlie Burchill, Lyndsey Buckingham, Joe Walsh.

2176C645-242F-44B7-8108-92BA7CAB36A6.jpeg

1BD3A848-4698-42F9-A367-D538DB712B23.jpeg

65A9F698-660C-470A-A10D-D8583EE93808.jpeg

Joe Walsh rep.

He's another one who doesn't play fast runs or anything but every note sounds like his life depends on it...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Charlie Burchill, Lyndsey Buckingham, Joe Walsh.

2176C645-242F-44B7-8108-92BA7CAB36A6.jpeg

1BD3A848-4698-42F9-A367-D538DB712B23.jpeg

65A9F698-660C-470A-A10D-D8583EE93808.jpeg

I’m going to see Simple Minds at the Echo Arena next Saturday. I’ve read that they’re on for 2 1/2 hours so hopefully get to hear a few tracks from their older stuff which I prefer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I’m going to see Simple Minds at the Echo Arena next Saturday. I’ve read that they’re on for 2 1/2 hours so hopefully get to hear a few tracks from their older stuff which I prefer.

Me and Mrs are too has been cancelled twice hasn’t it, going to see Shalamar in May too haha.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

81-82 Simple Minds were fantastic.

Sons and Fascination, Sister Feelings Call and New Gold Dream were great albums.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Me and Mrs are too has been cancelled twice hasn’t it, going to see Shalamar in May too haha.

Yes mate, I was made up when it got switched from a Tuesday night in August (which was also my mam’s birthday) to a Saturday in April.

Going to head to town early to watch our game in the unmentionable, and then head over to the Arena about 7ish.

Loads of great shouts in here, but thought I'd put a few niche, personal faves in as well.

Chris Cheney - Living End (incredible player, especially live)

Joby Ford - The Bronx (main songwriter, so many great no-bullshit riffs mixing RnR, hardcore and punk across six GREAT albums)

Brian Baker - Minor Threat, Dag Nasty and Bad Religion is a hell of a resume. Still a mad fucker as well. Dag Nasty saw his best guitar work. 

2 hours ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Marc Bolan - not a technical guitarist in any way shape or form, but man his guitar sounded like no-one else.

Johnny Marr - the first non-macho guitar hero.

Bernard Butler - another one with just making a guitar sound and feel different.

three good shouts.  I love Marr and Butler's guitar work, and you're right about Bolan's little licks.

I'm not sure the likes of Peter Green or Wilco Johnson were particularly macho though

Kin 'ell.

The OP says hero - since folks are posting a half a dozen fellas I will add another.

jeff-skunk-baxter_un-rock-n-roll-jobs_66

There is an great interview where he is asked about his career. The gist of it (paraphrased)

"I played bass for Hendrix when I was in highschool at a gig, got in Holy Modal Rounders, was Tommy Tedesco's protege in LA, did Carly Simons debut on pedal steel. After that I started Steely Dan, then joined a band called the Doobie Brothers. Later on I became a missile defense consultant for the US Government."

• Downvote 1