You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is your guitar hero?

John McLaughlin. The guitar solo in Lila's Dance (starting at 2:50 in the clip) still gives me goosebumps even after hearing it a thousand times...

Special mentions to Jimi Hendrix, Ed Hazel, Pete Cosey, Jimmy Page & Pete Townshend.

• Upvote 2

Hubert Sumlin ( Howling Wolfs guitarist)

Arthur 'Blind' Blake

Anyone who's watched the Reacher TV series would have heard 2 of these. Smokestack Lightning was used at the beginning of the first episode and Police Dog Blues at the closing credits of the last episode.

• Upvote 4

Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton goes without saying. 

Favourites from my favoured metal scene are:

Dave Murray and Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden

Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine 

Dimebag Darrell from Pantera 

Kim Thayil from Soundgarden

All have produced some of the greatest guitar riffs of all time.

20369B68-02BE-4118-A624-586ECFF6A8C0.jpeg

30981D68-9A74-4562-ACCC-4065FD7C766A.jpeg

EAE63015-CDE7-4AB6-981E-DBDD0F855E19.jpeg

319644E3-E46E-403C-9251-07A0229AB436.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My son. He first played guitar at around 9 years old and was brilliant, give him any song/riff and 20 minutes and he'd have a good grasp of it. As with most kids that age he got bored and moved o to other things, much to my dismay but I wasn't going to push him, the guitars ended up in the garage until a few weeks ago when, now aged 16 he asked me to dig them out.

Of course he was rusty as anything but I was amazed how quickly he remembered stuff he'd learned some four or five years back, to hear the likes Jonny B Goode or She sells sanctuary   being played again made me smile.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3