You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) - Sun 10th Apr 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

4 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Amusing Sky pretend to care so much about 'The Quadruple' seeing as they - like most of the rest of the media - never acknowledge Fagan's treble. Anyway, I wish we weren't playing them again next weekend - it feels like a massive distraction, and I only hope we're not left knackered for subsequent games. I've always suspected the real challenge will be how both teams respond to the fatigue of playing each other, and I still think that's the key factor.

Football wasn't invented until 1992. 

12 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Henderson played alright. But that little bit in the first half when it got pulled back to him on the edge of the area and he dinked a little pass that was practically impossible to make anyway out of play really did my head in. 

Do what De Bruyne did. Have a shot. A deflection could take it anywhere. Or it could land at the feet of one of our attackers. Or we could get a corner and create something from that. It was just a total waste. 

That was maddening. Hendo should really just lace the fuck out of it more.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Amusing Sky pretend to care so much about 'The Quadruple' seeing as they - like most of the rest of the media - never acknowledge Fagan's treble. Anyway, I wish we weren't playing them again next weekend - it feels like a massive distraction, and I only hope we're not left knackered for subsequent games. I've always suspected the real challenge will be how both teams respond to the fatigue of playing each other, and I still think that's the key factor.

Yep. My fear is this cup semi is going to fuck us over and prove to be one game too many. We already have many players who looked gased.

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yep. My fear is this cup semi is going to fuck us over and prove to be one game too many. We already have many players who looked gased.

Dunno, I thought City looked 99% reliant on De Bruyne running hard, and he's got form for getting an injury when he's redlining. 

Pep will likely be thinking he needs KDB for the league and CL. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Don’t think that’s fair or realistic. Fabinho had a rare off day against one of the most expensively assembled sides in history. Our midfield is good enough in 99% of games. I’m sure we’ll bring in a new midfielder in the summer, but we wouldn’t still be alive in the league and European Cup if it was so bad currently. 

Fabinho was freakishly awful, granted. 

But Henderson looks shot. And we have nothing / Naby from the bench. 

That's slim pickings at this level. 

Firstly, solid point. A draw was probably a fair result but if a team did deserve to win, it was them. We showed great spirit to come back twice.

Everton and United are only tricky because of the history of those games. I am worried about Spurs. They are a dangerous animal. Looking at the three away games, I amn't overly concerned - Newcasle will be safe and Sothampton and Villa are midtable - I would be shocked if it isn't 9 points.

Looking at City, the only two nasty games are West Ham and Wolves. I think City will win all their games but decent chance they don't. They didn't drop any points in 2014 and 2019 so playing the odds they do eventually drop something. Any top team can have a bad day.

Richards is a gobshite. Hillarious that he is beside players like Souness, Keane (and Neville to be fair) and he is going on about great teams. I personally wouldn't put the current team in the category of our 70s and 80s team right now, but I might do when Jurgen leaves. Are the current City great? Again, I would argue no. They have never won in Europe, even if you could make a case that they are every bit as dominant domestically as our 70s/80s teams or the Mancs under Ferguson. Our currrent lads have done that. If we win a Cup treble this year, does that make us a better team than City if they marginally win the league? Then we would have been two times Champions of Europe. I think our 70/80s team edges it over United's late 90s team with City leading the pack just ahead of our current side, Arsenal in the early 00s and Revie's Leeds. It's all marginal though. What I do feel is that it would be a real shame if Jurgen leaves with only one title to his name, though I suspect City fans would probably say the same if Pep doesn't win in Europe. In my opinion, Jurgen is arguably our greatest manager. To have us where he has is frankly incredible.

Carragher is a terrible pundit when it comes to us. He's completely emotive because he's talking like either an excited hyena or a sulky knobhead depending on how it's going for us. Throw in that he feels the need not to be seen as biased towards us and he over compensates towards our opponents. Souness manages it perfectly.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, Bloke said:

The attack being disjointed or the uncharacteristically nervous defence was largely down to our midfield 3 not getting a sniff. They were exposed today. 

Our biggest fear was conceding early, you could tell our players were nervous about it, and lo and behold...our big leaders didn't set themselves, theirs did. 

Our midfield don't count for shit if one of the spine of Allison, Van Dijk, Fabinho, start the game awkwardly.  

But overall, Henderson is a definite two steps below the quality ceiling of Thiago and Fabinho.  The latter two are world class, but Henderson is the step below that City no longer have in midfield, so comparatively it's an issue. It's even more of an issue, like today, when he doesn't even reach his own standard.  

I think it's an inescapable truth for Klopp now, not that he'd ever admit it or single Henderson out, he doesn't do that, but I think the truth will become apparent when you see how much we spend this summer on a midfielder.  It won't be Todd Cantwell, or John McGinn...

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Bollocks.

Absolutely. Mentioning Gini is a shithouse thing to do. True, he was a very good player. But he did play in some big games which we lost.

The fact that we are still in the hunt for a quadruple without him is evidence that we as a team have moved on quite well.

3 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

KDB is their Steven Gerrard. One thing we need in the summer is more dynamism in our midfield and players that can dominate the ball. That first half city just passed through our midfield as if it wasn't there. 

The best player on the pitch by a mile. If Mo wants that wage he needs to put in those performances in tha top games. 

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The best player on the pitch by a mile. If Mo wants that wage he needs to put in those performances in tha top games. 

He's the closest I've seen to a peak Gerrard and he's too classy for them lot. 

Annoys me he plays for them. He should be in our midfield.  

• Upvote 2

A 24 year old Steven Gerrard is exactly what we need in our midfield. Tragic some of the shite he had to play alongside when he was here.

Although KDB is a very good player I’ve always felt that he was a bit flat track bully. Gerrard was on another level to him. 

I complain during the match about someone being ‘shit’ and all the rest of it but for deffo we are spoiled by this team of ours. The toughest game in the world at the mo is playing a motivated city at their own ground. We should take a lot of belief from this and just keep on keeping on. I feel fine. 

I'm sure the way we used to play - full on for about 70 minutes, then hanging on for twenty minutes (I exaggerate, but you know what I mean) - would be better suited to playing against City. They're such a methodical team (I mean, they got into our area a couple of times with some great space to shoot, and they actually passed back 'because it's what we do' - they don't cope well when they're really shaken up. But we probably don't have it in the team any more to play that way for that long. They'll beat anyone at being patient, and I think we just play too much like them these days (albeit with greater urgency). It was that sense of controlled chaos that used to send Pep mad.

1 hour ago, Josef Svejk said:

Fabinho was freakishly awful, granted. 

But Henderson looks shot. And we have nothing / Naby from the bench. 

That's slim pickings at this level. 

Henderson has done some of his best work this season coming off the bench, weirdly he seems to have a much bigger influence on games than when he starts.