You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) - Sun 10th Apr 2022 (4:30pm)

Trumo

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They pressed us to absolute shit in the first half and exposed Fabinho, Henderson, and our lack of outlet up front.

They largely dropped off and let us get back into it in the second half, but that's mostly because you can't press like they did in the 1st half for a whole game. They were probably caught between trying to play more on the counter, and killing us off, but in the end, did neither.

That’s true, but we also used the ball much, much better in the second half too.

they did press us well, so credit to them, but we’ve been pressured before and kept the call better than we did in that first half today.

17 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Don’t think that’s fair or realistic. Fabinho had a rare off day against one of the most expensively assembled sides in history. Our midfield is good enough in 99% of games. I’m sure we’ll bring in a new midfielder in the summer, but we wouldn’t still be alive in the league and European Cup if it was so bad currently. 

It's true that you can't base your team and business off simply playing a team like City. They are unlike any other team.

The way we apprehended the game though made it hard for Fabinho and Hendo, who are technically a level below the other midfielders on the pitch. If we're going to defend so high and play out from the back against a pressing steam roller like City, those two are exposed. The lack of press resistance is amplified and you can't afford to lose so many balls.

I think we undoubtedly need more technique in there against top teams if we're going to keep playing like we have this season. We're not the team we were in 18-20, those two were top in that style of play but It's more daring now.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

They pressed us to absolute shit in the first half and exposed Fabinho, Henderson, and our lack of outlet up front.

They largely dropped off and let us get back into it in the second half, but that's mostly because you can't press like they did in the 1st half for a whole game. They were probably caught between trying to play more on the counter, and killing us off, but in the end, did neither.

Maybe we deserve some credit for pressing the shit out of them in the first part of the second half?

First: that city side is really, really good. The complaining I will present is merely nitpicking. 

But; the midfield trio was terrible onepaced, which allowed them to cut through the middle far too easy. Fabinho, Robbo and Jota were below par. 

We adjusted the lines at half time and got better, but the lack of tempo in midfield left the high defensive line open way too many times. 

But, we huffed and puffed and got a fairly deserved point in the end. Expect Konate, Keita and Diaz to start next Saturday. 

We just can't play with Henderson and the front three we fielded today. We need either Keita for Hendo or Bobby for Jota or Mane. Or both.

With Keita we will have someone that occasionally nicks the ball from the opposition.  Tired of seeing Henderson pointing and yelling but never getting anywhere near a tackle or winning the ball. 

Bobby is still the only forward player that makes life difficult for the opposition midfield, and if we want to play toe-to-toe with City, we need better pressure from the front.

Great that both Jota and Mane scored, I still wouldn't pair them against Chelsea or City (or Real M). Our midfield regularly loses the battle when we try to match up with the elite teams, as Thiago is the only one that gets near the opposition to nick the ball from them of todays starting midfield. 

Put it simply, we need someone in midfield that moves their feet quicker. If we're playing Hendo, Fab, Thiago in the cup, Bobby has to start.

We know city start off like a train yet we never seem prepared for it or if we are, never appear to have an answer for it. The Champions League 2nd leg at their gaff, every league game at their gaff and every league game at Anfield until Guardiola realised doing it at Anfield wasnt advantageous.

I dont understand why we look shocked by this tactic.

Richards is such a tit.

Saying Liverpool cannot be called a great team if they only win one PL title and a CL?!

What when your club is the main opposition, is buying the PL every season and attempting the same in the CL with an unlimited budget? When the only club stopping another being acknowledged as great is one that's a bunch of oil fucking cheats? Tit.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I know what you mean they had 3 or 4 offside when the ball was swung in but Jesus was the only one onside. I think we have benefitted from those scenarios too.

It's the same sort of ploy that Tuchel got Chelsea to do against us, and it worked, so I'm not surprised Pep has copied it. 

I think it's contentious when it's done deliberately, which it obviously was, as Laporte was signalling with his arm to pass the ball to the other side of the area while they dawdled out in a line, obstructing defenders trying to get back across to Jesus. 

After a first half were they tore us completely apart, it didnt turn out too bad in the end. We fought our way back, made som tactical adjustments and managed to even things out in the second half. I reckon we managed to press a bit higher and better, meaning they weren’t allowed to chip it in behind us so easily.

In the first half our attack dropped very deep and we weren’t good enough in the pressing. We ended up with only 30 yards between our front players and the back four. Very compressed, and probably difficult to play through. This made it very easy for Abu Dhabi to get in behind us and we were lucky to only be one behind at half time.

Also this game really showed that they are superior in midfield. Henderson and Fabinho were never in the game, they just couldnt compete at this intensity and quality.

Very pleased with a point the way things went.

Thiago our best player again, and also Mane and Salah did ok. Both lifted their game in the second half, and made some key contributions both in attack and defence. Mane tracking back and covering Rodri running through on a free kick was a vital moment.

Need to make some tactical adjustments next time we meet them, and Keita probably needs to start ahead of Henderson.