You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Sunday Feeling

Oh Buoy

Sunday league and ridiculous 10.30 kick off's with a hangover. I perfected the art of hiding at corners so I didn't have to head the ball. Pub lunchtime for 4 or 5 pints and a snooze in the afternoon then the realization the next morning it was back at it. I hated them teachers.

• Upvote 1

Frodsham. Early 1970s - Sunday morning. Mum slept in,  Dad got us kids up & did the fry up. Defo no beans on my plate, but my brother, god rest his soul, loved his Heinz baked beans. If we were lucky, we were too late to go to Sunday school, otherwise the morning was wasted.

Roast for dinner - some called it lunch. Lamb was my favourite. Hated peas and sprouts. Lashings of mint sauce. Gerald Sinstadt commentating on Granada football in the afternoon. A bath at 7pm listening to the Top Twenty countdown on the radio (Tony Blackburn?) followed by Lemon curd sammies & salt and vinegar crisps before BBC2’s ‘The High Chaparral’ at 8pm….or was that monday night? Long time ago.

• Upvote 2

As a kid the weekend felt over to me when Baywatch came on at 5pm on Saturday afternoon. It was downhill from there.

Do remember though that the 9pm on a Sunday show was always good. London’s Burning and The Knock being my favourites. 
Remember being haunted by an episode of London’s Burning where 2 lads had got on top of a lift, mucking about and then it went up, I’m sure one got crushed in the top and the other fell to his doom. My mum ushered me out the room sharpish. I asked my dad what happened to them the next morning and he just have it the plumbers whistle and he said ‘they’ll never play the violin again’ Still don’t know what he meant. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Not much beats cooking a sunday roast in the kitchen with a nice glass of red wine and a sunday playlist on. 

Entirely agree but once Ive eaten its like Im on a million mile an hour motorway to bed.  

19 hours ago, Mook said:

Was The Clothes Show not on a Sunday?

That was a cunt of a programme, my Mum used to watch it.

It was indeed. And now I can feel that I’ll be turning their pronunciation of ‘close’ around in my head for the rest of the day

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Dave D said:

It was always hairwash night. We only had one of those push on the tap shower things and had to lean over the bath.

Did you get cracked on the head with a hairbrush by your mum too?