You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Sunday Feeling

Oh Buoy

I've been trying to explain this to a friend but unsure whether it's just me or if anyone else ever felt this way about Sundays. 

Growing up, I always thought Sundays had a really weird relaxation/nostalgia feeling about them. Around midday you'd all settle down and there'd always be some film on whether it be a old film, a disney classic or something else. There'd always be this kind of music at accompanied it: https://youtu.be/hYs1OY28atE?t=25

You'd watch the film (no matter how shite it was) and wait for tea, stuff your face and catch another film or two. You'd always have this nice feeling before the dread of Monday hit in the evening. 

The only day that matched that was Christmas after everyone's pissed and fucked off home. 

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

I hated Sundays. The misery of Church followed by the dread of School. As soon as Esther Rantzen appeared on screen, I knew I was fucked. 

Amen brother. And Hale & Pace.

Fucking hated school my whole life so naturally Sundays were the coming storm.

Never really been a thing for me personally as when I was a kid it was all about Sunday league football and getting ready for school and as a adult I've been doing shifts that mean I work 2 out of 3 weekends for 20 years. Lately though I've had a feeling I would like to work Monday to Friday and just sit down as enjoy Saturday evenings. Though I think it's more nostalgia that much else. If my memory is correct A Team,WCW followed by Dinosaurs, Gladiator was early Saturday evening.

But for a Sunday morning feel how has the thread got past a few posts without the ultimate Sunday song

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Bot said:

I've been trying to explain this to a friend but unsure whether it's just me or if anyone else ever felt this way about Sundays. 

Growing up, I always thought Sundays had a really weird relaxation/nostalgia feeling about them. Around midday you'd all settle down and there'd always be some film on whether it be a old film, a disney classic or something else. There'd always be this kind of music at accompanied it: https://youtu.be/hYs1OY28atE?t=25

You'd watch the film (no matter how shite it was) and wait for tea, stuff your face and catch another film or two. You'd always have this nice feeling before the dread of Monday hit in the evening. 

The only day that matched that was Christmas after everyone's pissed and fucked off home. 

As someone growing up in the mid 50's and 60's, I fucking hated Sundays. There was fuck all to do and even though my parents were not religious, they didnt like you playing with your mates on a Sunday.

Sunday was for either going out to see grandparents, aunts and uncles or, the occasional day trip if your arl fella had a car, van or motorcycle and sidecar!

In the house, it was a posh Sunday dinner, watch some cowboy and indian film on a tiny black and white tv, bath time early evening, Sunday Night at the London Palladium on tv and hope for something like Toppo Giggio or Pinky and fucking Perky to be one of the star acts, bed then get up for school on the Monday.

That was grim because the lino on the floor was fucking freezing, you had to be well off to have carpet in your bedroom!

• Like 1

Funny bleeder is a Sunday. Generally it came before School or Work so the dread would inevitably kick in at some point.

I used to stave this off by drinking heavily until I realised that a change to self employment would ease much of that pain. 

Sunday was also the day I played football and ate roast dinners so were also to be looked forward to.

Thinking about it, I’ve probably had a fair percentage of my total sexual escapades on a Sunday as well (if you count the early hours). These also left me with mixed feelings of pleasure and despair as well so appropriate that they should happen on a Sunday. 

Lastly Blondie sang Sunday Girl so here’s a photo of Debbie Harry. 

2AB81382-87F9-4716-88E7-2F06CC059B4D.jpeg

• Upvote 2

The theme tune to Howard's Way, and later Poirot, sent me into depression as it signifies the weekend was over.

Also, we'd usually have the radio on all day - Hold Your Plums followed by Brian Jacques. Jacquesey would play a lot of 'old' music, like Mario Lanza etc. 

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

The theme tune to Howard's Way, and later Poirot, sent me into depression as it signifies the weekend was over.

Also, we'd usually have the radio on all day - Hold Your Plums followed by Brian Jacques. Jacquesey would play a lot of 'old' music, like Mario Lanza etc. 

Nooooooo! You've just reminded me of BBC Light Programme on the radio, Family Favourites from about 11:00am because the tv service didnt start until about 1:30-2:00pm!

The great thing about Sunday back in the 60s and 70s was loads of people would be preparing their Sunday roasts,windows wide open with their radios or record players on loud and with great songs from people like The Beatles,Elvis,Johnny Cash,Frank Sinatra,Perry Como,Glen Campbell and so on,real classics. Now it's the smell of pot with shite noise that is made on computers which all sounds the same. As kids we thought some of that music was a bit 'uncool' but god we were wrong in that assessment.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Growing up in the 50s and 60s, Sundays were a strange mix. Sunday school/Church followed by a quick visit to my Nan's, then home for a big roast dinner. We weren't allowed to play out, and there was no daytime TV but the Sunday midday radio shows were great. I particularly remember "Round the Horne" with Kenneth Williams who was always good for a laugh, and I think the Goons were on too.  

• Upvote 1