You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Downing: Diaz has a similar type of desire to Suarez

TLW

Stewart Downing has lauded the signing of Luis Diaz and says he carries similar traits to Luis Suarez.

Diaz has made an instant impression since joining the Reds in the January transfer window scoring two goals in nine appearances.

But his contribution has been more than what you see on the scoresheet with very strong build-up play and a great connection with his teammates in the final third of the pitch.

It is never easy to come to a new league, let alone halfway through a campaign and that is what makes the performances of Diaz even more noteworthy.

The ability and desire of the Colombian to take on his defender and have a attacking mindset has been a real boost to a Liverpool team who is already ticking along very nicely and fighting for honours on all fronts.

The recently retired winger is certainly impressed with the ability of Diaz to adapt to the England game and having played with Suarez certainly sees some similarities with the two players. the similarities as he told Goal.

image.png

“Diaz has been brilliant. 

"The first thing I look at when a player comes to the Premier League is the physicality. How do they handle all that? But he looks like he likes it. He gets stuck in, he bounces straight back up, he goes again. 

“Suarez was a bit like that. He had all the ability in the world, but he had that burning desire as well, never to give up. I look at Diaz and I see that same desire.

“He’s hit the ground running. It helps that the team is winning and he has unbelievable players around him. The manager has been able to dip him in and out, pick and choose which games he starts and when he comes off the bench. 

“He’s been able to find his feet, and he looks like he’s been here for years. It says a lot about him that he’s been able to do that.

“A lot of clubs were chasing Diaz - I know Everton, Spurs, Leeds were all looking - but it couldn’t have turned out better for him, I don’t think. He’s got the best move and Liverpool have got a great player.”

image.png

For a fair stretch of time during the Jurgen Klopp era, there has been a dependability placed on the front three of Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane to score the goals.

While they have carried the responsibility with aplomb, Klopp has looked to add depth to ease the burden on the superstar trio and that is exactly what Diogo Jota, and in recent times Diaz have looked to do, while Takumi Minamino has more than played his part in domestic cup competitions.

Downing is greatly impressed with what Klopp has quietly built.

“It’s great for us as supporters, but for Jurgen there are so many big decisions coming up in terms of what team to play, how to manage the squad.

“In the past we’d look at Mane, Salah and Firmino and think: ‘they’re not getting moved’. But now it’s any three from five or six, isn’t it?

“They’ve managed to improve while they were at the top, which is not easy to do. It’s not as easy as you’d think to convince players to come and join a team that has been so settled. Players want to play, and for a long time we knew what Liverpool’s forward line was going to be.“

On the weekend there was reports of a sense of optimism that Salah will sign a new deal and Downing does not see why that wont be the case.

“It takes time, I know it feels like a big thing because he is out of contract next year, but think of the contract Salah is going to be looking for. He’s 29, turning 30, it’s probably his last big one, his last big commitment, so it’s bound to take time.

“For me, I just think ‘where does he go from here?’ He will have offers, but he’s not going to be joining a team as good as Liverpool. He wants to win things, he wants to play for a big club, a great manager, and get a nice, healthy contract, and for me Liverpool tick all those boxes.

“I think it would be very strange to see Salah leave this summer. If he wants to win things, big things, the best chance he’s got is here. Wherever he goes, he’ll get good money, but there’s more to it. Liverpool offer a player so much in terms of history, fanbase, and the quality of their team. 

“And the Premier League is the best league in the world, so why would he want to leave? I think he’ll sign.”

View full article

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TLW said:

Stewart Downing has lauded the signing of Luis Diaz and says he carries similar traits to Luis Suarez.

Diaz has made an instant impression since joining the Reds in the January transfer window scoring two goals in nine appearances.

But his contribution has been more than what you see on the scoresheet with very strong build-up play and a great connection with his teammates in the final third of the pitch.

It is never easy to come to a new league, let alone halfway through a campaign and that is what makes the performances of Diaz even more noteworthy.

The ability and desire of the Colombian to take on his defender and have a attacking mindset has been a real boost to a Liverpool team who is already ticking along very nicely and fighting for honours on all fronts.

The recently retired winger is certainly impressed with the ability of Diaz to adapt to the England game and having played with Suarez certainly sees some similarities with the two players. the similarities as he told Goal.

image.png

“Diaz has been brilliant. 

"The first thing I look at when a player comes to the Premier League is the physicality. How do they handle all that? But he looks like he likes it. He gets stuck in, he bounces straight back up, he goes again. 

“Suarez was a bit like that. He had all the ability in the world, but he had that burning desire as well, never to give up. I look at Diaz and I see that same desire.

“He’s hit the ground running. It helps that the team is winning and he has unbelievable players around him. The manager has been able to dip him in and out, pick and choose which games he starts and when he comes off the bench. 

“He’s been able to find his feet, and he looks like he’s been here for years. It says a lot about him that he’s been able to do that.

“A lot of clubs were chasing Diaz - I know Everton, Spurs, Leeds were all looking - but it couldn’t have turned out better for him, I don’t think. He’s got the best move and Liverpool have got a great player.”

image.png

For a fair stretch of time during the Jurgen Klopp era, there has been a dependability placed on the front three of Mo Salah, Roberto Firmino and Sadio Mane to score the goals.

While they have carried the responsibility with aplomb, Klopp has looked to add depth to ease the burden on the superstar trio and that is exactly what Diogo Jota, and in recent times Diaz have looked to do, while Takumi Minamino has more than played his part in domestic cup competitions.

Downing is greatly impressed with what Klopp has quietly built.

“It’s great for us as supporters, but for Jurgen there are so many big decisions coming up in terms of what team to play, how to manage the squad.

“In the past we’d look at Mane, Salah and Firmino and think: ‘they’re not getting moved’. But now it’s any three from five or six, isn’t it?

“They’ve managed to improve while they were at the top, which is not easy to do. It’s not as easy as you’d think to convince players to come and join a team that has been so settled. Players want to play, and for a long time we knew what Liverpool’s forward line was going to be.“

On the weekend there was reports of a sense of optimism that Salah will sign a new deal and Downing does not see why that wont be the case.

“It takes time, I know it feels like a big thing because he is out of contract next year, but think of the contract Salah is going to be looking for. He’s 29, turning 30, it’s probably his last big one, his last big commitment, so it’s bound to take time.

“For me, I just think ‘where does he go from here?’ He will have offers, but he’s not going to be joining a team as good as Liverpool. He wants to win things, he wants to play for a big club, a great manager, and get a nice, healthy contract, and for me Liverpool tick all those boxes.

“I think it would be very strange to see Salah leave this summer. If he wants to win things, big things, the best chance he’s got is here. Wherever he goes, he’ll get good money, but there’s more to it. Liverpool offer a player so much in terms of history, fanbase, and the quality of their team. 

“And the Premier League is the best league in the world, so why would he want to leave? I think he’ll sign.”

View full article

Shush.