You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Playing FA Cup semi at Wembley is one of the most ridiculous stories I have ever heard

TLW

Jurgen Klopp has had his say regarding the decision to keep the FA Cup semi final tie with Man City at Wembley Stadium despite no trains running from the North West to London on the Easter weekend due to engineering works taking place.

The decision to not move the fixture to a more suitable location for fans of both clubs under those circumstances has been met with predictable uproar and the Mayors of both cities and Politicians have also got involved.

Despite the backlash, the FA has remained unmoved and dug their heels in but speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of the Watford clash, it is a decision that has the Liverpool manager completely bewildered as the Echo reported.

image.png

“(It makes) absolutely no sense for supporters to be asked to trek across the country without the help of rail services on a Bank Holiday weekend.

“It is one of the most ridiculous stories I have ever heard," Klopp said. "I heard that they knew about the works for 18 months and I'm not sure what the FA thought; that no club from the north west could be part of the semi-finals?

“I really can't believe that things like this can happen with all of the information you have out there. I heard now that the FA or whoever are putting some coaches on the road. What is it, usually four-and-a-half-hours to London?

“It will probably then be 12 with both sets of supporters coming from the same direction. It makes absolutely no sense. Great decision.

While the Governing body has looked to calm the waters by putting on extra buses to make the trip down south, once again it looks a reactive move rather than a common sense one.

Klopp said more dialogue and sensible solutions were required in this situation and once again the fans are the forgotten party.

“I'm not sure when they had to decide when the semi-finals would be but I think there is another weekend between the Champions League games [they could have chosen].

"It would have been our City game. That would have been funny, moving the City game for a City game, but at least on that weekend all fans could have gone to Wembley without making it more difficult for them.

"How I know it, our people, they will find a way, but I'm just not happy that somebody made it so complicated. It should be easier to see your football team in a semi-final than the way they have chosen.”

View full article

• Upvote 9

The voice of reason as usual. Sorry Jurgen our country is not half as efficient as the country of your birth!

Imagine if there is some sort of accident  on the motorway on the day? The KO could be delayed causing even more problems.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, suzy said:

The voice of reason as usual. Sorry Jurgen our country is not half as efficient as the country of your birth!

Imagine if there is some sort of accident  on the motorway on the day? The KO could be delayed causing even more problems.

As long as you pay for your ticket the FA couldn't give a shite. As we all know too well in this area. And people wonder why our club has not been arsed about the FA Cup for years.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

As long as you pay for your ticket the FA couldn't give a shite. As we all know too well in this area. And people wonder why our club has not been arsed about the FA Cup for years.

Exactly. Greedy, corrupt and incompetent - that's football and the government in this country. Completely tinpot.

He's spot on. It's the corporate Wembley tickets, they sell them offering access to every game including semi finals, concerts, any NFL etc. 

I remember a few years back the TV would have Bournemouth v Newcastle on as the midday kick off a few seasons in a row. All about the fans? Fuck off. 

They were always going to hold it at Wembley as they promise all the club Wembley, boxes etc both semi finals now. They range from £2300 to £37k, so it doesn’t take a genius to work out what the FA would deem more valuable. 

They’ll sell most of the tickets one way or another so couldn’t care less.

Money before fans - every single time.

Twats

Quite ironic that around this time last year folks were in uproar over the proposed ESL and all you heard was football is nothing without the fans etc. 

Where’s that message now?

To both Liverpool and Man City, the FA Cup is the lowest priority of the season. There's part of me thinking why don't two two get together and arrange to play somewhere else, in the North West, on the same day. If the crowd at OT won't be party, at either ground on the back of a coin toss. It's not like either are unable to deliver it. Invite TV to cover it FOC if needs be. 

As supporters, sure, you want your team to win it... but until someone actually puts it up to the FA, they'll carry on acting like cunts.