You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunak's Budget Speech

dockers_strike

57 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

You make it sound like pensioner parents do fuck all to help their kids get on the housing ladder.

I'm sure some people definitely get help to buy from their parents, but a lot won't.

The fact remains we have old people owning houses they bought for a pittance that are now worth hundreds of thousands, while young people, who can't afford to buy themselves, are working to sustain the pensions of those very same oldies.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm sure some people definitely get help to buy from their parents, but a lot won't.

The fact remains we have old people owning houses they bought for a pittance that are now worth hundreds of thousands, while young people, who can't afford to buy themselves, are working to sustain the pensions of those very same oldies.

Not the fault of the old people is it? They played the hand they were dealt,  maybe try pointing the finger at the perennially  useless politicians. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Gotta love the way Sunak says that they’re the party to address the Nations financial problems when they’ve been in power for 12 years. I’m starting to truly detest Labour now, dogshit leader after dogshit le...

Ok going to stop you there.  You think this helps?  This talk just rots and rusts the idea of another Labour government.  Stop doing the Tories work for them.  I'm sick of hearing this line from people, it sounds like an excuse to vote Tory, and it HAS been used as an excuse for working class people to vote Tory.  

What have Labour actually done wrong?  Last time I checked, they were offering people hope.  But people instead chose 'Boris', like it was an X Factor vote for some posh celeb they felt was a right laugh.  

Labour didn't drop the baton, the voters believed in an alternate reality because they thought the jolly fat man was giving out pints and ice creams and driving us all back to 1966 with his mate Farage.  The voters need to either grow up and apply facts to their decisions, or they can keep pretending this is something it's not.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Not the fault of the old people is it? They played the hand they were dealt,  maybe try pointing the finger at the perennially  useless politicians. 

I don't think I was attributing fault to anyone. I just think it's a bit rich for people sitting in mortgage-free 600 grand homes to moan about their financial burden. If only there was a way they could easily release some capital...

2 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Sorry to hear this bud. Out of juice but will be back.

I keep reading stuff about pensioners have never had it so good and the rest but, it's a real eye opener to your finances when you do retire. I went through all our finances and to see what we could cut back on. Ended up with a list that included my seassie, sky tv, BT Sport and internet and cars. There's only so much you can cut.

Obviously we didnt need 2 cars once I stopped working so the bimmer went and we kept the old girl's Twingo which is road tax free. I cancelled BT Sport and always negotiate a cheaper deal with them and Sky when the deal ends. When the current Sky deal ends, Im seriously thinking of jibbing the sports package to save some more.

We're not getting Sunak's 150 quid rebate on the council tax because the house when built in 1996 cost £112,000 so was put in council tax band E. Only A to D qualify. Cunts.

Ive sold some stuff on flea bay to cover the seasie for next year but if gas and leccie continues to go up, it's hard to justify lashing 600+ quid on it. Octopus have just sent me a mail suggesting I up my DD to £212 a month from April but seeing as March bill was only £142 on reducing gas usage, they can fuck off.

Prior to these massive energy cost increases and rocketing inflation, Id say we were comfortable and still have some wriggle room. But if gas and leccie keeps going up, we'll be fucked and either have to be careful what we spend or start dipping into savings.

I dont know how a lot of people on pensions are going to manage.

On the 150 rebate - there’s also a discretionary scheme which some local authorities are using to just include band E as well on top of other cases. There is still a lot of unknowns as each authority can set their own parameters but worth keeping an eye on. It’s also been announced that a household can apply for more than 1 lot of the £150 as well.

5 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I don't think I was attributing fault to anyone. I just think it's a bit rich for people sitting in mortgage-free 600 grand homes to moan about their financial burden. If only there was a way they could easily release some capital...

How many old age pensioners are sitting in 600k houses?

14 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I've said this to my mum many times.

My dad worked hard all his life and during the 70's and through to the late 80's so did she.

She should be comfortable and enjoying the finer things at her time of life, not worrying about paying extortionate prices for fuel, food etc, but she, like so many others won't hear of it.

As far as she's concerned they bought the house for our security when they'd gone.

"Mum, we're all in our 50's, we've raised our kids, we own our own homes, we're fine"

"No".

Old school.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Stronts seems to be implying a mansion tax, which means cash poor Harry's Lad's mum will have to sell her home.  It's okay though, some nice middle class couple who have a £40K deposit can then buy the house.

I'm pretty relaxed about increasing tax on unearned wealth. The current situation, where wealthy pensioners are passing on enormously valuable estates to their children, is only entrenching inequality in the system.

I'm pretty relaxed about increasing tax on unearned wealth. The current situation, where wealthy pensioners are passing on enormously valuable estates to their children, is only entrenching inequality in the system.

So I pay taxes all my life save what I can and then pass on what I’ve earned and paid for on to my children and you think they should get twatted for tax, on shit that’s already been taxed? Fuck…that….noise

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Bought for a pittance? Jesus, you like sweeping statements, mate. Those houses 'bought for a pittance,' the same ones where people who bought them were probably paid 50 to a 100 quid a week max if they were lucky and had to pay 25 year mortgages where rates were minimum 8 or 9% and even reached 15%?

Oh and dont forget the ones drawing pensions now paid full NI when they were working and often over and above the then minimum 30 qualifying years worth.

58 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Yes, it would be a 'bit rich' if they were mortgage free owning 600 grand homes moaning about their financial burden. But we aint. Again sweeping generalisation.

Tell you something else that's a bit rich as well. If you have a mansion in Mayfair or Westminster worth a million quid plus, because of the council tax banding, these can be in that council's tax band D and qualifies automatically for Sunak's 150 quid rebate where up north, houses worth sub 300 grand can be in band E and not automatically qualify for the 150.

Talk about benefit going to the well off. Yeah 'bit rich' mate, isnt it?

53 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

On the 150 rebate - there’s also a discretionary scheme which some local authorities are using to just include band E as well on top of other cases. There is still a lot of unknowns as each authority can set their own parameters but worth keeping an eye on. It’s also been announced that a household can apply for more than 1 lot of the £150 as well.

Cheers bud. Didnt know that. But I still think Council Tax Banding is a blunt instrument that doesnt take into account regional variations.

40 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

Loads of them. In London pretty much anyone who bought a house before year 2000. 

Yeah but we arent talking about pensioners in 600 grand houses.

34 minutes ago, Strontium said:

25% of people in Britain aged 65+ live in households with wealth exceeding £1m.

So 75% of 65+ people dont live in households with wealth exceeding £1m. Another sweeping statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

So I pay taxes all my life save what I can and then pass on what I’ve earned and paid for on to my children and you think they should get twatted for tax, on shit that’s already been taxed? Fuck…that….noise

Of course they should have to pay tax on it. They should pay plenty because they did NOTHING to earn it. Most of us have to pay hefty taxes on the money which we go out and earn.

Of course they should have to pay tax on it. They should pay plenty because they did NOTHING to earn it. Most of us have to pay hefty taxes on the money which we go out and earn.

Well what can I tell you, I couldn’t disagree more, I paid the tax that was due, it’s mine to do with what I wish. It no longer has anything to do with state, dues have been paid I own it, the end.

• Upvote 1