You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunak's Budget Speech

dockers_strike

24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

This is very true.

My mum owns her own home so is asset rich, but money wise she has her state pension and my late dad's vastly reduced pension which pushes her over a threshold.

If she didn't get my dad's pension she would be entitled to pension credits and would be better off so she struggles to make ends meet and so is cash poor.

I worry about her because she's gone very frail over the last 3 or 4 years. She had bowel cancer, the same thing that took my dad, 10 years ago today actually, and the whole Covid thing set her right back.

She'll be 80 in May and while we've just got over winter, next winter will see an awful lot of people who stand absolutely no chance of heating their homes correctly due to the massive hikes in fuel prices.

I fear for her and people like her, but don't worry, the billionaire chancellor Sunak will be just fine because the price he'll pay for his fuel is exactly the same price as we pay because we're all in this together.

For such a small man he's an absolutely massive cunt.

Sorry to hear this bud. Out of juice but will be back.

I keep reading stuff about pensioners have never had it so good and the rest but, it's a real eye opener to your finances when you do retire. I went through all our finances and to see what we could cut back on. Ended up with a list that included my seassie, sky tv, BT Sport and internet and cars. There's only so much you can cut.

Obviously we didnt need 2 cars once I stopped working so the bimmer went and we kept the old girl's Twingo which is road tax free. I cancelled BT Sport and always negotiate a cheaper deal with them and Sky when the deal ends. When the current Sky deal ends, Im seriously thinking of jibbing the sports package to save some more.

We're not getting Sunak's 150 quid rebate on the council tax because the house when built in 1996 cost £112,000 so was put in council tax band E. Only A to D qualify. Cunts.

Ive sold some stuff on flea bay to cover the seasie for next year but if gas and leccie continues to go up, it's hard to justify lashing 600+ quid on it. Octopus have just sent me a mail suggesting I up my DD to £212 a month from April but seeing as March bill was only £142 on reducing gas usage, they can fuck off.

Prior to these massive energy cost increases and rocketing inflation, Id say we were comfortable and still have some wriggle room. But if gas and leccie keeps going up, we'll be fucked and either have to be careful what we spend or start dipping into savings.

I dont know how a lot of people on pensions are going to manage.

• Upvote 1

The last 12 years has been all about speeding up the shift in wealth from the masses to the wealthy under the guise of disasters, from the credit crunch to pestilence, war and famine. Their first instinct is to grab. 

The problem when the ethics of your country is so broken is that any kind of corrective measures won't work anyway as everyone is on the make.

For instance, when fuckhead said he was dropping fuel duty by 5p, who didn't immediately think 'the petrol companies won't pass it on'.

The whole system is broken but those at the helm don't care.

Gotta love the way Sunak says that they’re the party to address the Nations financial problems when they’ve been in power for 12 years. I’m starting to truly detest Labour now, dogshit leader after dogshit leader since these horrible bastards took power. Milliband, Corbyn and Starmer, has there ever been such a maginificent triumvirate of absolute turd? Yeah he’s anthrax on here but can you imagine a prime Blair coming up against these fucking clowns. You would have to be 18 to be allowed to watch the dismembering.

14 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Gotta love the way Sunak says that they’re the party to address the Nations financial problems when they’ve been in power for 12 years. I’m starting to truly detest Labour now, dogshit leader after dogshit leader since these horrible bastards took power. Milliband, Corbyn and Starmer, has there ever been such a maginificent triumvirate of absolute turd? Yeah he’s anthrax on here but can you imagine a prime Blair coming up against these fucking clowns. You would have to be 18 to be allowed to watch the dismembering.

Yeah Blair gets slagged off to high heaven but the first three years of so of his tenure were the most optimistic I've ever felt about living in this country.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I keep reading stuff about pensioners have never had it so good and the rest but, it's a real eye opener to your finances when you do retire. I went through all our finances and to see what we could cut back on. Ended up with a list that included my seassie, sky tv, BT Sport and internet and cars. There's only so much you can cut.

Obviously we didnt need 2 cars once I stopped working so the bimmer went and we kept the old girl's Twingo which is road tax free. I cancelled BT Sport and always negotiate a cheaper deal with them and Sky when the deal ends. When the current Sky deal ends, Im seriously thinking of jibbing the sports package to save some more.

We're not getting Sunak's 150 quid rebate on the council tax because the house when built in 1996 cost £112,000 so was put in council tax band E. Only A to D qualify. Cunts.

Ive sold some stuff on flea bay to cover the seasie for next year but if gas and leccie continues to go up, it's hard to justify lashing 600+ quid on it. Octopus have just sent me a mail suggesting I up my DD to £212 a month from April but seeing as March bill was only £142 on reducing gas usage, they can fuck off.

Prior to these massive energy cost increases and rocketing inflation, Id say we were comfortable and still have some wriggle room. But if gas and leccie keeps going up, we'll be fucked and either have to be careful what we spend or start dipping into savings.

I share a Now TV Sports password with my mate which allows me to watch both f**ty BT and Sky for about 20 quid a month. Far better than paying for both packages.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Em City said:

I share a Now TV Sports password with my mate which allows me to watch both f**ty BT and Sky for about 20 quid a month. Far better than paying for both packages.

Well I do use hookie streams to watch our games that are on BT Sport. Naughty me!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Honestly looking at cutting my gas off and living on calor gas and electricity, how did it ever come to this. I genuinely don’t have the range of vocabulary to articulate how disgusting energy companies are, if ever there was an industry screaming out to be Nationalised it’s this one. The customer service of these cunts alone is a thing of absolute wonder.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Honestly looking at cutting my gas off and living on calor gas and electricity, how did it ever come to this. I genuinely don’t have the range of vocabulary to articulate how disgusting energy companies are, if ever there was an industry screaming out to be Nationalised it’s this one. The customer service of these cunts alone is a thing of absolute wonder.

I don’t know anyone who works there anymore so cant help. Have you tried writing to the Chairman of Centrica? That usually gave the letter a bit more weight - although he obviously never sees it and some poor cunt like a 26 yr old Baby Rico will answer it (when I did the job I only saw the Chairman once). 

11 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah but the good news is, if you can afford 15+ grand for a heat pumps, Sunak's cut the VAT on them to make them more affordable. The irony of someone saying cutting 5% VAT on energy bills would benefit the well off more than the less well off is kind of lost on me, somehow.

And yeah, well said Harry!

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I don’t know anyone who works there anymore so cant help. Have you tried writing to the Chairman of Centrica? That usually gave the letter a bit more weight - although he obviously never sees it and some poor cunt like a 26 yr old Baby Rico will answer it (when I did the job I only saw the Chairman once). 

All but given up mate, Mrs is going to embark on a Twitter war but fat lot of good that will do. We’re not paying the bill because it’s wildly inaccurate and we’re prepared to be cut off. It’s truly staggering how bad they are.

2 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

All but given up mate, Mrs is going to embark on a Twitter war but fat lot of good that will do. We’re not paying the bill because it’s wildly inaccurate and we’re prepared to be cut off. It’s truly staggering how bad they are.

That's a decent piece of advice Rico's given you there mate. It's worth a try at least?  

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but the good news is, if you can afford 15+ grand for a heat pumps, Sunak's cut the VAT on them to make them more affordable. The irony of someone saying cutting 5% VAT on energy bills would benefit the well off more than the less well off is kind of lost on me, somehow.

I mean he’s a billionaire isn’t he? That alone should disbar him from an office that dictates how the ordinary person will have to tailor their finances, he has absolutely no idea of reality, how could he?

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I mean he’s a billionaire isn’t he? That alone should disbar him from an office that dictates how the ordinary person will have to tailor their finances, he has absolutely no idea of reality, how could he?

He doesn’t and doesn’t care, never has.

He’s a plant that’s loosening regulations and cutting taxes for his friends in the city, it’s on record, they are making fortunes off his chancellorship. 

Covid, inflation and fuel deficits fucked up the easy job he had going and you’re seeing he has no fucking clue as this wasn’t the reason he got in to the job in the first place and he has no answers or ideas.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

He doesn’t and doesn’t care, never has.

He’s a plant that’s loosening regulations and cutting taxes for his friends in the city, it’s on record, they are making fortunes of his chancellorship. 

Covid, inflation and fuel deficits fucked up the easy job he had going and you’re seeing he has no fucking clue as this wasn’t the reason he got in to the job in the first place and he has no answers or ideas.

In my entire lifetime ( and believe me I’m old) the only politician who made any tangible difference for the better to my life was Blair and everybody wants to throw him in jail. 

That Katy Balls from the Spectator was saying that Sunak's spring budget today and Soft Ollies during PMQ's have in effect given us a sneak preview of the next Tory election strategy and possibly the timing.

Lower taxes and freebies from Sunak for the natural Tory voting pool allied to 'woke ' cobblers from Johnson.

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

That Katy Balls from the Spectator was saying that Sunak's spring budget today and Soft Ollies during PMQ's have in effect given us a sneak preview of the next Tory election strategy and possibly the timing.

Lower taxes and freebies from Sunak for the natural Tory voting pool allied to 'woke ' cobblers from Johnson.

I mean that promised whopping one percent tax cut just before the election. Not a carrot for the hard of thinking at all. It will work, of course it will, the opposition is so utterly appalling how could it not?

8 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

In my entire lifetime ( and believe me I’m old) the only politician who made any tangible difference for the better to my life was Blair and everybody wants to throw him in jail. 

Yep, Blair's policies are one of the reasons my life worked out alright, or I might have been another statistic that I would have been at any other time, a route the Tories are currently trying to take away coincidentally.

But, I've not lost hope yet , though it's fucking tough as it looks like the weatherman has been called in to show us which way the wind is blowing.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Howdy said:

I mean that promised whopping one percent tax cut just before the election. Not a carrot for the hard of thinking at all. It will work, of course it will, the opposition is so utterly appalling how could it not?

It's more the overall package being better than expected for middle earners and bugger all for poorer people.

I've no time for Starmer.

To sum up how this is working, fuel duty has been cut 5p. Petrol stations have today put their prices up by 5p. Tomorrow they will reduce again by 5p. So the 5p cut has gone in the pockets of the people selling the fuel.

It's reaching into pockets and thieving.