You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nottingham Forest 0 Liverpool 1 (Mar 20 2022)

tlw content

chris_smith.jpg

Report by
Dan Thomas

Not pretty but there’s one important thing about cup ties – getting your name into the hat for the next round. Team selection, performance and everything else can be discussed at a later date. Just win.

Of course, we had an extra incentive to overcome Nottingham Forest given that we’d been given a date with Manchester City in the semi-final draw and we did our part to meet them at Wembley next month. 

Even when not at our best (Inter, West Ham, Arsenal, Forest) and even without a full strength team, we have again become a results machine. Another clean sheet notch on our tomahawk and our first FA Cup semi-final since Lovren blazed the ball into Wembley Retail Park in the last minute of injury time against Villa. And yes, by the fact I have recalled it so vividly means I am not even close to being over it! 

It wasn’t a terrible performance but there were some really terrible individual displays. Firmino and Jota in particular absolutely stunk the place out. I have come to expect that of Firmino now, he frustrates me beyond all reason and I hate myself for getting annoyed with him because he’s Bobby. Jota has been grim since coming back from that short layoff with his ankle but did what Jota the Slotter does – comes up with the big play, puts it in the net, wins the game. 

But in terms of the performance, I certainly didn’t peg us as “Lucky Liverpool” or anything like that – we did enough to win that game comfortably. For the most part we played on the front foot, controlled the ball and dictated the tempo of the game. I think that is probably the best that Forest could have played against us, they worked their balls off and their fans were right up for it. And that’s not intended to be patronising or disrespectful to them, that is genuinely better than some of the teams in the Premier League manage. They were brave, tried to press us and weren’t afraid to play out even though we nicked the ball on more than one occasion.

In reality, if we would have gone up a gear and maybe had Salah out there, we would have won 3-0 with ease. We made plenty of chances but our finishing was profligate, our decision making lacking and our final ball off the mark. Even without Salah and Mané we shouldn’t have won the game in the manner we did because we had the chances to make it comfortable, but win we did.  

I hate the FA Cup these days. It’s full of commentating cliches, the normalising of dickheads running on the pitch and ThE MaGiC of The CuP excusing incredible refereeing decisions. But we are long overdue a run like this in the FA Cup – it just so coincides with us going all the way in the Carabao Cup and having the best draw we could hope for in the Champions League. It’s all going a bit 2001, when every game was of critical importance. 

But before I start going down that fork in memory lane, to the game at the City Ground. Beforehand I was wracking my brains for the last time we won there and I couldn’t remember when – easy reason for that, the last time we won there was 1984, a few months before I was born!

Our record there was pretty bleak, even the 87/88 team lost there and we all know how highly regarded those boys are. Even when they were getting beat 8-1 at home in 1999, we were contriving to draw 2-2 with them. I completely forgot about van Hooijdonk scoring an injury time free kick the last time we played them all those years ago until John Gallagher brought it up before. Getting jobbed out almost every week until the 1999 Reds come to town…

And we haven’t played them since. 23 years have passed and the Forest fans were right up for it. I had this down as a hard game. Not because this is the best Forest team ever or anything, but because they are well organised, play at high intensity and we were obviously going to rotate.

The team was about what I expected, the biggest surprise was probably Elliott starting on the right. That was the first time I’ve watched him play and thought he looked out of place. He has excelled in the centre of midfield for us this season before the long injury layoff so I can only think we put him out there to “do a job” and get some minutes under his belt as he has not really played all that much since he came back. I’d take Elliott “doing a job” wide right over Ox any day of the week!

Gomez at right back was an enforced change. He had a perfectly fine game but when in good positions, the ball in wasn’t of the same standard as you’d get from Trent, which is to be expected of course. Had Trent been fit I expect Gomez would have partnered Konaté. But up against the tricky Brennan Johnson, who I am assured is currently the talk of Nottingham, he was assured apart from a daft booking late on.

So it was no surprise that they came flying out of the blocks backed by a raucous crowd. Even though they are very much in the Championship playoff picture, Forest were up for the cup. They had already seen off Arsenal and embarrassed rivals Leicester City in earlier rounds and though massive underdogs, fancied their chances of getting amongst us and giving us a scare. They would have felt emboldened by seeing no Mo or Sadio either starting or on the bench.     

But despite them really getting into it for the first ten minutes, it all felt a bit like bluster. And again, no disrespect intended to Forest there. But they had the odd dangerous ball in and that was your lot for most of the game – except for the last ten minutes which I will get to in a bit. Everything they did was via that Brennan Johnson kid, who was flitting between the left and the right. He was quick and skilful and looks like one to watch, but their fast start fizzled out and once we started to knock the ball around we looked like we were going to take control. 

We threatened here and there, some nice moves down the right in particular got Gomez into good positions but the final ball wasn’t right. Jota was almost through but Worrall got back to nick the ball. Or not – I still can’t decide whether or not he got the ball and if he didn’t then it should have been a penalty. But really, The Slotter should have hit that earlier than he tried to anyway.

Tsimikas had a good effort whistle just over as well. I like Kostas, he has a really good left foot on him and I reckon he is going to score a screamer one of these days. The biggest chance of the half and probably the game was put on a golden platter for us by Jack Colback, who lost the ball in a dangerous position on half way and Firmino was put clean through.

I didn’t think he was going to score at any point. He had all the time in the world and instead of firing it low and hard, which is hard for any goalkeeper to get to, I thought he tried to dummy to go round the keeper before changing his mind. He then just clipped it straight at the keeper who reacted well enough to get the ball away. It was a really, really bad miss and at the time of the game, it would have put us in full control.

This is just what Bobby is now I’m afraid. He scored that lovely goal at Arsenal in midweek when he had no time whatsoever to think and today he has made a mess of a straight run in on goal. Is there such a thing as too much time? It’s something I hear a lot but it was not the finish of someone confident or in form. But this is who he is now – infuriating, inconsistent and adding to my growing legion of grey hairs by missing simple chances. 

The second half was the same as the first – Forest came flying out and eventually we wrestled back control. However, I didn’t think it was assured and Jurgen decided to empty the bench just after the hour. I think that we usually make the right sub at the right time, but I thought we became worse despite making what most of us were probably thinking would be the right changes.

Thiago to control, Henderson to set the tempo and a change of formation with Firmino going up top with Jota, Minamino and Diaz just behind him. But it didn’t work did it?

Whilst we were not hanging on by any means, we didn’t smother control of the game like I was expecting. I thought all of the substitutions were the right ones to make but we looked frankly ragged and chaotic for long spells after they were made.

We were almost caught out on the break with Tsimikas upfield on a lightning Forest counter. Johnson got in down the right and put over a perfect ball but Zinckernagel put it wide when perfectly placed. It was a really terrible miss, he didn’t even hit the target. Forest were always going to get one big chance and that was it. 

The same thing happened on Wednesday at The Emirates. Lacazette missed a huge chance and then we go down the other end and score not long after. It was a lovely goal. Henderson nicked the ball, Tsimikas put it into a perfect area cutting back onto his wrong foot and Jota’s finish was predatory. I didn’t celebrate initially as it looked offside and to be honest, I haven’t seen an angle that leads me to believe it was onside.

But it was given without too much ado so I can only think the jabronis in Stockley Park had got their protractors out and quickly decided it was onside. It was what we deserved, we’d had the chances throughout the game, but extra time was starting to loom large and it was a goal not in keeping with Jota’s performance. He was rotten. But it was the exact kind of goal he scores – Jota the Slotter. 

Of course, we can’t have a Championship vs Premier League team without “controversy” and I have to make a confession – I thought Mr Pawson refereed the game well. I don’t think our game management was anything to shout about (and I am not so sure it has been all season to be honest) and we gave away three big chances in the last 5 minutes. The biggest was Ryan Yates’ “penalty” shout.

I have to give Mr Pawson a lot of credit for spotting the clear dive by Yates. He left his feet in to try and manufacture contact. It’s as crystal clear an example as you’ll see of it and the referee bought none of it. Whilst the commentators screeched for a penalty (until they saw the replay) I had my heart in my mouth but the bum in Stockley Park didn’t get involved for once. It was ragged defending from us and Yates had a lot of space to get into. Alisson was kind of nowhere as well but a goal kick was the right decision – I thought this kind of cheating was supposed to be an automatic yellow now and treated like a dive? 

Yates had a header straight down Alisson’s throat as well thankfully and Cafu (big thanks to Lee Dixon for pointing out that it’s not *that* Cafu as I was confused…) blazed over from a tight angle late on. Again, credit to Forest for keeping going and being a threat until the very end but that was always going to be the case in a cup game.

We should have sealed it with the last kick of the game, but Jota succinctly summed up his performance by blazing the ball into the Trent (no Lee, not *that* Trent) when well placed. He was honestly absolutely awful. But again, two goals in a week despite two stinking performances. 

I was relatively confident we would win this but knew it would be a challenge. We can rotate many parts of this team seamlessly but there’s a big drop off when Trent doesn’t play and with better delivery we would have won that game much more comfortably with the openings we made in the first half.

Forest are no mugs, they are right up in the playoff picture and they played about as well as they could and showed us respect but no fear. Had we been on it, they might have got a smacking, but we weren’t and we had a really edgy last ten minutes when they were coming at us time and time again. We didn’t play well following the substitutions and Jurgen must have been really frustrated at that. 

But any win is a good win, especially in the business end of the season which we are now undoubtedly in.

We now have a two week rest. I am one of the biggest moaners about the international breaks but it feels like we need this one a bit. We are a momentum team but it feels like we need to recharge physically and mentally before we go over the top. April is one of the biggest months in the club’s history. We might well need to go 100% in the league to win it, we have a two legged tie against Benfica and we have an Easter weekend showdown with City in the semi-final, a stage in the competition in which they aren’t always the best. It feels apart from the Leeds game we haven’t played too well for the last month or so, and I am hoping a rest allows us to get ready for final after final.

The Star Man for me is a tough pick but I will go with Fabinho. I was surprised when he went off and I do think that maybe that was why we looked a bit more ragged after the subs. We always look more balanced when he is on the field. You could always make the argument to give it to the match winner but I am not giving it to Jota under any circumstances after that stinker! 

But again, it’s a great sign that we can gnash our teeth at the performance but we won yet again. Keep the clean sheets coming!  

Team: Alisson; Gomez, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas; Fabinho (Henderson), Oxlade-Chamberlain (Thiago), Keita (Diaz); Elliott (Minamino), Firmino, Jota:

• Upvote 17

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report, Dan. Although tou contradicted yourself on the dibs being the right ones, and then saying Fabinho should have stayed on.

He definitely should have stayed on. There was no need for Minamino AND Bobby.

We went with 4 up top trying to avoid extra time, and I suppose it worked, didnt it? But we definitely lost a bit of control of the midfield as a result.

25 minutes ago, m0e said:

Good report, Dan. Although tou contradicted yourself on the dibs being the right ones, and then saying Fabinho should have stayed on.

We went with 4 up top trying to avoid extra time, and I suppose it worked, didnt it? But we definitely lost a bit of control of the midfield as a result.

Subs, not dibs!

• Like 1

Great job Dan. I swear Bobby is the epitome of infuriation. Stunning flicks, turns and even interceptions, followed by a succession of underhit or misplaced passes. Surely few would have him in our starting 11 these days. 

He has one of the best songs going, but sadly, it's becoming bollocks in the most part. I really wonder why we sing it, so frequently. Because it's clever and catchy? Hmmmm.

There's something that the Kop wants you to know

Best in the training ground is Bobby Firminho (possibly) 

Our number 9

Give him the ball and you're very likely to regret it many times

Si senor

Give the ball to Bobby and he almost certainly won't score. 

Ox, Elliott, Bobby and Keita were awful. 

12 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Great job Dan. I swear Bobby is the epitome of infuriation. Stunning flicks, turns and even interceptions, followed by a succession of underhit or misplaced passes. Surely few would have him in our starting 11 these days. 

He has one of the best songs going, but sadly, it's becoming bollocks in the most part. I really wonder why we sing it, so frequently. Because it's clever and catchy? Hmmmm.

There's something that the Kop wants you to know

Best in the training ground is Bobby Firminho (possibly) 

Our number 9

Give him the ball and you're very likely to regret it many times

Si senor

Give the ball to Bobby and he almost certainly won't score. 

Ox, Elliott, Bobby and Keita were awful. 

No comment on Dan’s use of “jabronis” after he snuck it in just for you?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Cheers.

Yeah I should have added (apart from taking Fabinho off) because that change wasn't needed. I get what we were trying to do, going for the jugular in normal time. We were struggling at home to Norwich and went 4-2-3-1 and absolutely blasted them away. i think that's what we were going for here but it didn't work out at all. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

If Yates deserved a booking then so did Diaz. Embarrassing dive just in front of us.

I didn't think they were in the same league. Diaz was pushed, it wasn't exactly two handed but there was contact but nowhere near enough for a free kick, the referee rightly waved it away. Yates' dive was the worst, most insidious kind of cheating there is for my money. 

Dan you absolute fucking wanker. That's the last time I'm gracing you with my presence pre-match. I don't give out negs willy nilly you know. 

Stand shoulder-to-shoulder with Usher and you too will feel the full force of my tongue. 

Good report. Not been mentioned but Steve Cooper, ex LFC junior coach, has done a great job since taking over a side that looked like it was going to be in a relegation scrap under previous management.

I think Jota's late strike went nearer the town centre than the River Trent which is behind the stand at the other end but, good analogy all the same!

9 minutes ago, Agt Provocateur said:

I honestly had no idea jabroni was a prohibited word! I will swap it out with any array of the 80s cartoon villain insults I have in my locker moving forwards. 

It is. The wonderful, incredible, fantastic English language is rich with adjectives to describe useless people: "sucker", "loser", "fool", "Usher", etc. without resorting to american/Italian slang. And Dan's a twat. 

Agree that this 2 week break comes at a good time especially for players who wont be involved in important games for the national teams. I think we the fans also need this two week break. These past few weeks have been mentally exhausting to watch. Many fans are already feeling emotionally drained, so imagine how those players are feeling.

I am reluctant to criticise the team for not playing "too well" over the past few weeks. They have played well enough most times imho. There have been a few tough opponents in the run of games from February. We were hardly going to smash all of them 6 nil like we did Leeds.

Agree entirely about Jota: he was terrible and has been since his last injury. But he can still score while playing badly, which is a great quality.

In fact, I feel the team as a whole is a bit like that at present. So I reckon we need to find some form or there's a bad defeat on the way... 

4 hours ago, Supremolad said:

"I haven’t seen an angle that leads me to believe it was onside."

This angle should help. Looks quite onside here.

Screenshot_20220321-111406_Facebook.jpg

I know that we all like to see players leaning on things, so I'd just like to congratulate the Forest defender on some top air leaning.

• dave u unpinned this topic