You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anti nostalgia- things that used to be shit but are now really good

Captain Willard

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

On a (slightly) less superficial level, there are probably more women now who you would see as positive role models - women with intelligence and integrity who refuse to be silenced.

A real downside to modern life.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

No seatbelts in the back of cars with no ABS or airbags. If you sat in the middle, every trip was potentially lethal. 

I remember driving to my grandad's as a kid. Four of us in the back of an Austin Princess - no seatbelts,  all sliding around the plastic seats shouting for him to go faster over the small hump back bridge on the way to Princess Drive.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mike D said:

Central heating and double glazing, houses used to be fucking freezing,

Was brought up as one of five in a concrete flat in Netherley, single paned windows, one gas fire and one paraffin heater for the whole gaff. Used to walk up to the chandlers on Lee Park Avenue every Saturday morning with my mum for the paraffin. Winters were brutal but somehow great at the same time. It was the best of times etc.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

I remember driving to my grandad's as a kid. Four of us in the back of an Austin Princess - no seatbelts,  all sliding around the plastic seats shouting for him to go faster over the small hump back bridge on the way to Princess Drive.

Happy days. I had a friend at school who fell out of a mini whilst his dad was going too fast around a roundabout. He was fine but his mum went crazy. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Cancer survival rates.

Actually, medicine in general just amazes me. I mean, keyhole surgery; how good is that?

Personally think the war on cancer has been utterly abysmal. It was the scourge of everything when I was a kid, you didn’t even say the word it was simply called the big C. This was several lifetimes ago, I can’t believe that to this day it’s still a major threat to life. I continue to see so many people dying of it even after all this time, I don’t think it’s been a success at all.

10 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

Posh fucker.

We had a motorbike and sidecar.