You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shipwrecks.

Harry's Lad

I've always been fascinated by shipwrecks whether ocean going liners like the Titanic or the Lusitania, warships or ancient ships.

One of the most famous ships lost at sea was Shackletons ship, Endurance which was crushed by ice in the Weddell Sea during his Antarctic expedition in 1915, which been found 107 years later and on the 100th anniversary of Shackletons death.

https://news.sky.com/story/shackletons-lost-ship-endurance-found-in-antarctica-in-milestone-of-polar-history-12561406

This thread is for images and discussion of shipwrecks, famous, infamous or otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Someone recommended this on the Documentary Thread ages ago. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13175494/

About the MS Estonia cruise ferry which sank in 1994. It’s a five part documentary and it’s totally gripping. I think I watched it in two sittings, because it was late. I got up the next morning and put it straight on again. My missus watched it in one go. Extraordinary stuff. 

It’s on Amazon Prime. 

• Upvote 3

At School they parked us in the Library one afternoon to watch the Mary Rose being rescued from the sea.

The televisions was a black and white portable.

The ship was lifted at a speed virtually impossible to register with the naked eye.

Fascinating stuff. 

21 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

At School they parked us in the Library one afternoon to watch the Mary Rose being rescued from the sea.

The televisions was a black and white portable.

The ship was lifted at a speed virtually impossible to register with the naked eye.

Fascinating stuff. 

You can (or could) see the wreck in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. It's unreal considering how old it is. They have to constantly spray the wood apparently to keep it moist and stop it from rotting. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
On 09/03/2022 at 18:03, Bjornebye said:

You can (or could) see the wreck in Portsmouth Historic Dockyard. It's unreal considering how old it is. They have to constantly spray the wood apparently to keep it moist and stop it from rotting. 

There is similar awsome one Stockholm museum from early 1600's called Vasa, recovered from Sholm harbour. They say it is world's best preserved 17th century ship and the recoved alot of artifacts from her has she sank on made voyge and didn't even make it out to open sea.

They actually salvaged guns from it using a diving bell shortly after it sank. I know diving bells century's old, everytime I read about them being used back then though I find amazing that is was successful given construction techniques.

Anyway Vasa: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_(ship)

I also used to do quite a bit of scuba diving before I had a massive ear problem, used to find wreks amazing. Although sadly this happened fairly early on for me, so never really managed to get too in to it. There are quite a few round and about always wanted to go up to Scapa Flow, as you can imagine it is wreck divers dream, with all sorts of ww2 and ww1 ships as shallow as 12m: https://www.scapaflowwrecks.com/wrecks/

If you learn to dive around the North West like I did, they tend to take you to quarries where they have sunk various boats, helicopters, small planes etc. for divers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Just spent around an hour reading up on The Estonia sinking- 

This video explains it very well in the most simple terms-

There's a very good documentary about the Estonia tragedy on one of the Sky channels.

• Upvote 1