You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Liverpool 1 West Ham United 0 - Match Reaction

tlw content

The winning run goes on and the Reds are once again just three points off top spot in the Premier League. It wasn't the most convincing of wins but Sadio Mané's first half strike was enough to sink a game West Ham side who had their chances to equalise but couldn't convert any.

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Dan Thomas to reflect on a strange game in which several players performed really well yet the team just didn't quite fire on all cylinders.

View full article

• Upvote 4

• dave u pinned this topic

Yep, think you nailed it. Mo was lively all game but after missing that early chance, he seemed to overlook laying the ball off more especially in the 2nd half. Thought virgil and konate were excellent all night and dont understand how some fans thought virgil was not so good?

West Ham got a lot better when Berahma came on and we seemed to start running out of puff,

• Upvote 1

Looking forward to this, this was one of those games that was hard to understand. Individually, 10 players played well but collectively we didn't, I know Jurgen will know why and I'm about to find out if any of you know.

• Upvote 1

Completely agree with Dan on Sadio through the middle. Right now he's the one to be shifted from that position, based on how he's performed there, regardless of how good Jota has been/is. 

Of course, there'll be rotation, but for the biggest of games, I'm going with Sadio, Diaz and Mo at the moment. 

2 minutes ago, Chris said:

Completely agree with Dan on Sadio through the middle. Right now he's the one to be shifted from that position, based on how he's performed there, regardless of how good Jota has been/is. 

Of course, there'll be rotation, but for the biggest of games, I'm going with Sadio, Diaz and Mo at the moment. 

Yeah me too, but that might change if Jota plays through the middle tomorrow and bangs in a couple. It's a fluid situation and we're massively spoiled for choice.

I’m listening live at the moment from a Starbucks in Swords Co Dublin. How exciting. 

Really good so far. You can tell Dan has his own podcast as he keeps accidentally hosting instead of being a guest. But loving the 3 again. Really good chat. 

Can I do my customary moan though too as I’m old and I have to moan? - please stop cutting across people. I’m not going to say who it was, but I’m listening to a point being made that I want to hear get to its conclusion but then then person is cut off, usually by the person cutting them off to agree with them but add their own point. Let the person finish, and then make your point. It can be a wee bit frustrating when you’re interested in what’s being said. Obviously there’s chat going back and forth which is good. But when someone “wants to add” then let them finish. 

Hugs 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah he's crap on the right, he played through the middle in the second leg, scored two.  It was the most obvious difference you could get.

He's going to suffer because Klopp is going to see him as the one who can play lots of positions.

It's got the same vibe as Oxlade, and Origi on the left.

Sometimes a position doesn't work, and Kloppo needs to nip this idea of him on the right in the bud.

If Salah is unavailable or subbed, put Mane out there. That's probably his best position anyway.

• Upvote 1

Great pod. Regarding the Trent v Reece James debate, I dont think Trent is actually defensively inferior now. In fact, there were stats knocking around last year which showed Trent was better than him at defensive metrics like tackles and interceptions. Tbf, I dont have the stats for this season so I'm open to being shot down based on those.

I do think we shouldnt ignore the fact that James plays as a wingback with the security of a center back behind him due to Chelsea's 3 at the back system. This ensures he doesnt have to do as much defending compared to Trent who has to cover a lot more area in his fullback role. Overall, I think Trent is the better player defensively and offensively. Especially with the noticeable improvement in his defending over the past year.

• Upvote 4

13 hours ago, m0e said:

He's going to suffer because Klopp is going to see him as the one who can play lots of positions.

It's got the same vibe as Oxlade, and Origi on the left.

Sometimes a position doesn't work, and Kloppo needs to nip this idea of him on the right in the bud.

If Salah is unavailable or subbed, put Mane out there. That's probably his best position anyway.

Not sure that it's his best position, but yeah we know Mane is good on the right.  He was basically 1 in 2 in the league in his first season here playing on the right.  I reckon Diaz would be better than Jota out there too.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic
17 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Great pod. Regarding the Trent v Reece James debate, I dont think Trent is actually defensively inferior now. In fact, there were stats knocking around last year which showed Trent was better than him at defensive metrics like tackles and interceptions. Tbf, I dont have the stats for this season so I'm open to being shot down based on those.

I do think we shouldnt ignore the fact that James plays as a wingback with the security of a center back behind him due to Chelsea's 3 at the back system. This ensures he doesnt have to do as much defending compared to Trent who has to cover a lot more area in his fullback role. Overall, I think Trent is the better player defensively and offensively. Especially with the noticeable improvement in his defending over the past year.

Slaven Bilic made that point about systems too. Not only does James have three defenders behind him and not two, but Chelsea's CM's sit in quite deep as well. Certainly deeper than ours.

• Upvote 1

On 08/03/2022 at 10:28, JohnnyH said:

Oh man, with the benefit of hindsight, the hopeful chat around the Man Utd v Man City game is quite funny.

Really good chat around Trent. "Trent back" needs to become a thing.

Useless United making me look stupid. The streets won't forget that.

• Upvote 1