You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter (H) - CL Round of 16 2nd leg, Tue 8th Mar 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Their goal completely struck me by surprise, I was actually thinking there’s absolutely not a chance we don’t qualify here.

Don’t think we even played poorly, just one of those odd scenarios that 2 leg knock outs sometimes provides. In golf terms you’re between clubs, not needing to go completely go for it but at same time you need to keep focus and see it out.

We were very lucky not to score any of Matip, Van Dijk, Salah’s two of post and Diaz chances. 

Their goal was an absolute stunner, remember Valbuena scoring a similar one for Marseille in 2007 but came from a stupid goal kick routine.

In the last 8, this is where it gets interesting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Their goal completely struck me by surprise, I was actually thinking there’s absolutely not a chance we don’t qualify here.

Don’t think we even played poorly, just one of those odd scenarios that 2 leg knock outs sometimes provides. In golf terms you’re between clubs, not needing to go completely go for it but at same time you need to keep focus and see it out.

We were very lucky not to score any of Matip, Van Dijk, Salah’s two of post and Diaz chances. 

Their goal was an absolute stunner, remember Valbuena scoring a similar one for Marseille in 2007 but came from a stupid goal kick routine.

I had to look it up ( I don’t have an overly busy schedule)

9 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

This. I was the same - even though we weren't playing well I felt that they had no threat whatsoever. The goal came completely out of the blue.....but before I had chance to get nervous, Sanchez was deservedly sent off. A heat map of our penaly area across both legs would show Alisson.....and very little else. Whilst they played well enough to nuliify us, they barely created a single clear cut chance across 2 legs (the one against the bar in the first leg). 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Over 180 mins, Inter hit the bar and banged in a worldy. 

We didn’t play particularly well last night but we still should have won the game.

A loss with zero consequence. I didn’t lose any sleep over it. Hopefully it focuses minds ahead of two important away games in the next week.

They do say you learn more from a defeat than from a win. So, we just got a free lesson, to put us in better stead for the Quarters.

• Upvote 2

They were very good in possession in both games - probably the best technical side we've faced this season except City and maybe Chelsea.  But they had next to no threat and if we played that game again ten times we'd win it comfortably each time. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

They do say you learn more from a defeat than from a win. So, we just got a free lesson, to put us in better stead for the Quarters.

We definitely needed a kick up the arse, given how plodding we have been lately. A defeat with little to no negative consequences (no injuries of note) isn't that bad, and much better than in the league or the FA cup. Onwards and upwards, chaps.

49 minutes ago, aws said:

They were very good in possession in both games - probably the best technical side we've faced this season except City and maybe Chelsea.  But they had next to no threat and if we played that game again ten times we'd win it comfortably each time. 

I thought it was telling that we kept attacking until the very end, especially at set pieces. No running it into the corner or similar. I don’t think the players or Jurgen had any real fear after their goal went in.

It’s probably the mentality of the manager coming through and reminded me of us still getting stuck into Spurs after Robertson got sent off like they were the side with ten men. 

No scraps in our scrapbook, to quote Phil Leotardo. 

• Upvote 1

Italian teams usually are good with retaining possession and, Inter are current Serie A champions. Clearly they are no mugs.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I thought we played within ourselves during the first half as we had no need to go eyeballs out plus the heavy schedule we've had and still face.

But balls were bouncing off Sadio all night and he's been like that since AFCON. I understand Jurgen rotating the team but I just think Curtis was the wrong player for this game.

That said, we hit the frame of the goal 3 times and Inter scored from 1 of their 3 shots on target. One set of stats shows us with only 2 on target but I dont know how that works when you hit the frame of the goal 3 times.

Ive thought we've looked knackered in our recent games. Im a bit worried about Brighton who despite not having good results recently, are another bunch of twats who turn up their performance when they play us. Added to the fact that Mo, Sadio and Jota seem to have gone off the boil a bit, I think Saturday may be another tough game.

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

Haven’t read the thread but assume loads of moaning based on latest comments. Thought we were off the pace last night and didn’t play well at all. Inter also impressed me in the flesh.

Having said that, we still should have won the game based on the chances we created and spurned.

We deserved to go through over the two games and 2-0 is an awkward score ahead of a second leg from a psychological perspective.

We can discuss the aspects of the game that contributed to it being a poor performance overall but doesn’t need to be an inquest.

Your first 3 lines sum it up well. 

But I think we need to think about what combination of players in the forward line work best, which is a new thing. I don't know that that part of it is really working out right now. 

20 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Your first 3 lines sum it up well. 

But I think we need to think about what combination of players in the forward line work best, which is a new thing. I don't know that that part of it is really working out right now. 

I think Jota is lacking sharpness after being injured so he’s suddenly dropped down the pecking order for me. 

Havent had chance to read through this yet so it might just be Bascombe chatting shit!

EDIT: The twat makes it seem like refs have 'rescued' us from the jaws of defeat!

For Inter Milan 2022, read Roma 2001.

Anyone at Anfield searching for omens and wishing to draw parallels between Liverpool’s treble season under Gerard Houllier and Jurgen Klopp’s enduring quadruple effort need look no further than this most uncomfortable Anfield evening. 

There was a replica scene in the stadium 21 years ago. In the last 16 of the Uefa Cup, Houllier’s side travelled to Rome and won 2-0 thanks to Michael Owen. The hard work seemingly done, they were beaten 1-0 in the home leg after a curling 25-yard shot by Gianni Guigou, persevering thanks to a contentious decision by a Spanish referee. 

That time it was Jose Maria Garcia-Aranda. He awarded a penalty at the Kop end against Markus Babbel, changed his mind, sent off Roma’s Damiano Tommasi and helped Liverpool navigate one of the trickiest hurdles in their multiple trophy quest. Although Liverpool went on to beat Porto and Barcelona later in the competition, no European opponent threatened them so much that season. The Roma night felt like a turning point in the treble bid.

Another Spanish official came to Liverpool’s rescue in Europe on Tuesday evening. Should they make it to the Champions League final in Paris, Klopp's side will be eternally grateful to Antonio Mateu Lahoz, whose game-changing decision to dismiss Alexis Sanchez at Anfield enabled Liverpool to wrestle control from a classy opponent and reach the quarter-finals for the fourth time in five years.

The more Liverpool prolong their interest in all these competitions, the more such echoes of 2001 - when Liverpool won both domestic cups as well as conquering Europe - will chime. Now, as it was then, Liverpool’s ongoing interest in all competitions will be determined by whether there is an Anfield energy crisis.

Klopp, like Houllier, has managed to avoid it so far with regular rotation of a squad with exceptional depth. But when considering why Liverpool were not at their swaggering best here, their schedule cannot be ignored. 

This was Liverpool’s fourth game in a fourth competition in nine days; relentless, exhilarating, enticing but - as Klopp has been willing to concede - potentially exhausting.

For the first time this season, it looked like it might take its toll. Inter Milan did not meet the usual high-tempo Liverpool we have become accustomed to. Seeing the likes of Sanchez, Lautaro Martinez and Ivan Perisic demonstrating all the zest of a Klopp team was a reversal of the anticipated pattern. Inter were brimming with enthusiasm, their excellence able to shut down any counter-attack and regroup.

At their most stressful, Liverpool needed the game's pivotal moment to go their way. The Spanish official obliged.

Churlish as it sounds to describe a team hitting the post three times as fortunate, there is no escaping the lucky break of the timing of Sanchez’s dismissal, Liverpool having just conceded to Martinez's 25-yard strike.

Here was the danger Klopp spoke about - not only ahead of this tie - but whenever asked about the possibility of his team going all the way in every tournament. 

For any side chasing several trophies there are going to be testing nights such as this. And without the occasional smile from the football gods, forget it. Manchester United’s treble of 1999 was full of such moments, too. Everything that can go right must do so.

It is testimony to all the previous double or treble winners that they still prevailed amid such mental and physical examinations. The more they kept winning, the less fatigued they felt, and - yes - occasionally, the more fortunate they seemed to be.

As it turned out, the void Champions League round of 16 draw did not offer Liverpool the easy route to the last eight some anticipated.

“When you draw an Italian side in Europe you do not start a party,” said Klopp.

No, but the campaign might end with one.

History, so often a weight for Klopp’s immediate predecessors, might be a powerful ally this season.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/09/jurgen-klopp-must-avoid-anfield-energy-crisis-keep-liverpools/

I can’t believe the shit I’m reading on Twitter today (I know!) claiming Sanchez shouldn’t have received a 2nd yellow card.

Firstly, he should. I get he couldn’t do much else but he’s over stretching, studs up and catches Fabinho on the ankle.

Secondly, why is the question not, how is this not a straight red?

0DF77736-CCE0-4B29-BC50-10A1758CAEE1.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I can’t believe the shit I’m reading on Twitter today (I know!) claiming Sanchez shouldn’t have received a 2nd yellow card.

Firstly, he should. I get he couldn’t do much else but he’s over stretching, studs up and catches Fabinho on the ankle.

Secondly, why is the question not, how is this not a straight red?

0DF77736-CCE0-4B29-BC50-10A1758CAEE1.jpeg

Anything above shin height or on the knee should be a straight red. It's dangerous play and a possible career ender. 

When the replay was shown you could see the skin on Thiagos knee come off and he was bleeding when he got up. Sanchez was lucky that Thiago didn't make a massive deal over it and I think the ref even played on for a couple of seconds before another foul. 

I don't even think it was discussed at half time.

• Upvote 1