You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter (H) - CL Round of 16 2nd leg, Tue 8th Mar 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Freddo said:

Well this one won't live long in the memory. Lots to work on which we'll do. Great to have thiago back which is key. 

Bonus for us when sanchez was sent off, that swung it back in our favour as he picked up some good positions. 

Better finishing we win this game but we're through and that's what counts. 

But for how long? Studs imprinted on his leg, and he wasn’t moving well when he came off.

I hate us losing at Anfield especially but at least we're through. That was hell.

I guess we could and should have scored about four goals, but really, the way we seem to almost invite goals against us at times is getting ridiculous. You could see that goal coming a mile off. I don't want us to play like Citeh, but there are times when we surrender possession so cheaply by flashing balls across the box when a few more passes to feet is needed. 

And Salah: he mustn't waste the team's chances like this by going for stupid scuffed shots out of frustration. I know gettting the ball on the right and moving inside until he can hit it with his left has got him masses of goals, but sometimes you have to accept that the defenders really know what they're doing and adapt to the situation. It just can't be left to him to keep on trying the same thing when it clearly isn't on.

Some lessons to be learnt if we're to progress beyond the next round. 

1 minute ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I think you are under rating how good Inter are. They are a really good team. 

I've watched all their recent games & they are average. Well beaten at home against Sassuolo and they drew 3 of their other dometic games prior to beating bottom of the table at the weekend.  Going into the game 2-0 was always going to be tricky mindset but our attitude was poor imo

2 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think Mo has looked tired since his return ythe AFCON. Could do with a week off to recharge his batteries.

I wish his contract was sorted out. It would be easier to deal with him after that. He sulks when he's subbed and he won't like being rested, but he needs a boot up the backside. He reminds me at the moment of Owen at his worst, when he used to waste masses of chances because he was so obsessed with getting out of a lean spell. He needs re-connecting with team play.

7 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Mo needs a rest. The AFCON seems to have left him a bit fucked. A week or two won't harm him or us.

Why would he need a rest? Because he hit the woodwork twice instead of getting two goals?

Should we just sell the others then?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Well if we have to lose our home record best to do when we win on aggregate . You din't have to be a winnerto be a winner as the bloos keep saying.  Shit game really and unlucky hitting the woodwork three times. No-one played particularly well if truth be told. 

VVD first defeat at Anfield isn't it? 

1 minute ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think Mo has looked tired since his return ythe AFCON. Could do with a week off to recharge his batteries.

I'd rest him at the weekend and comeback against Arsenal.  With Firmino returning between him Mane, Jota, Diaz & Origi we should have enough options for Brighton. Then I'd give him a week off to rest. Mane could do with the same at some point too.

Just now, gkmacca said:

I wish his contract was sorted out. It would be easier to deal with him after that. He sulks when he's subbed and he won't like being rested, but he needs a boot up the backside. He reminds me at the moment of Owen at his worst, when he used to waste masses of chances because he was so obsessed with getting out of a lean spell. He needs re-connecting with team play.

Oof mate, I think that is incredibly harsh. I can't agree.

2 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

Thank christ for that. Overall, we deserved it, and except for a superb one-off Inter strike, a 2-0 aggregate scoreline, with us hitting the woodwork 3 times would have been a dominant result.

The line of sight between Van Dijk and Alisson to reach that far corner is almost non-existent, yet the ball found the perfect line through. Incredible strike. 

And the twats insisting it wasn't even a yellow for Sanchez are the same twats insisting Virg be sent off against Napoli a few years back for the same fucking thing. 

4 minutes ago, Code said:

Why would he need a rest? Because he hit the woodwork twice instead of getting two goals?

Should we just sell the others then?

Because EVERYTHING has to be PERFECT!!!!

My take from this game is that it kind of reminded me of the Roma game in 2001. I don't think complacency or work-rate were an issue. We didn't manage to score from numerous chances, hitting the woodwork 3 times and once denied by a brilliant defensive block (we even missed a penalty in that Roma game). The problem I think was that, other than Inter coming out and looking sharper as they had to, we didn't quite know how to tackle the game having gained a 2-goal advantage. It's been a factor on numerous occasions this season. Do we stick or twist? We end up in a halfway house of doing neither and all that happens is that we lack tempo and thus don't look as sharp as we should. Matip's moment of sloppiness led to the goal for Martinez, who was otherwise shite.

Referee Lahoz was in tiptop form as usual. He's one of those that lets play go and fouls go unpunished, only to clamp down hard on less serious offences later on in the same game. He'll miss really obvious offences (Skriniar on Mo near the end, what the fuck was that?!) and see fouls where none exist (Calhanoglou in the centre circle, where our player was miles away from him). And he'll send coaching staff to the stands on a whim. Sanchez was fortunate to only get a yellow card for the foul on Thiago, but then got a second yellow for a follow through on Fab.

Anyway, we are into the quarter finals which is immediate mission accomplished.