You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter (H) - CL Round of 16 2nd leg, Tue 8th Mar 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

It's an outrageous accusation. It's what comes from staring at slo-mo replays and imposing thought processes on actions that happen in a nano second. You couldn't 'cheat' like that, in that situation, even if you planned to. Leaping over the tackle, maybe, but how would you 'cheat' by letting your foot be battered into? I suppose Elliott 'cheated' against Leeds by having his ankle snapped apart. Strange days indeed.

Inter were the loveable underdogs, and therefore, they've been cheated, mate. That's just the narrative we have to deal with.

Screen Shot 2022-03-09 at 12.42.13 pm.png

Thing is, though, is anyone at fault here?

It's not even a tackle.  He's actually trying to poke a forward pass.

Fab is not even in frame when the Inter guy makes contact with the ball.  Nowhere near.

Perhaps the lad's a cunt and the ref took into account his earlier foul - but, if so, that's not judging the incident in isolation or on its merit.

The commentator I was listening to stated that:  refs have said it has to be a "cast iron" second yellow when it is a second yellow... because after all, you are terminating a player's participation in the match.

I genuinely don't think there is any malice (or danger) in this action.  It's a man clearly playing the ball. The only way he avoids contact with Fab is literally by refraining to participate in this phase of play.

Yep, you can call it a second yellow in the heat of the moment/aftermath... but I think the guy is dead unlucky.

Not sure whether VAR could have intervened here (can they on a second yellow?), but this would be a case, I think, of having a look and coming to a commonsense/benefit of the doubt conclusion... on the basis that the course of the rest of the match depends on it.

Me, I think this is further proof the ref/officials had a bad night.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Fab is not even in frame when the Inter guy makes contact with the ball.  Nowhere near.

Perhaps the lad's a cunt and the ref took into account his earlier foul - but, if so, that's not judging the incident in isolation or on its merit.

The commentator I was listening to stated that:  refs have said it has to be a "cast iron" second yellow when it is a second yellow... because after all, you are terminating a player's participation in the match.

I genuinely don't think there is any malice (or danger) in this action.  It's a man clearly playing the ball. The only way he avoids contact with Fab is literally by refraining to participate in this phase of play.

Yep, you can call it a second yellow in the heat of the moment/aftermath... but I think the guy is dead unlucky.

Not sure whether VAR could have intervened here (can they on a second yellow?), but this would be a case, I think, of having a look and coming to a commonsense/benefit of the doubt conclusion... on the basis that the course of the rest of the match depends on it.

Reckon he left a bit on purpose to make sure he studded Fabinho's ankle, a fairly standard snide move but he made it a bit too obvious that the ref spotted it.

It looks pretty clear on the clip posted earlier.

7 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Reckon he left a bit on purpose to make sure he studded Fabinho's ankle, a fairly standard snide move but he made it a bit too obvious that the ref spotted it.

It looks pretty clear on the clip posted earlier.

I might agree to disagree with you about how snide, on purpose or obvious it looked - the fact that Fab reacts like he's just stepped into a bear trap, I think, contributes just as much to any "obviousness".

Just now, s(k)aturation said:

I might agree to disagree with you about how snide or obvious it was - the fact that Fab reacts like he's just stepped into a bear trap, I think, contributes just as much to any "obviousness".

How dare you disagree?!

I reckon if you look at it, you can see Sanchez giving Fabinho a bit of a look too.  Gives it away that he deliberately meant it for me.

11 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

See?

Twists round and lifts his leg up to make sure he connects with a bit of force.  And the sinister stare.

Sorry mate, I think it's all a lot more contentious and subtle than that... I'm seeing him extend his leg in the air as part of playing the ball and it's on the way down and his heal on the ground by the time Fab arrives.  

As for the sinister stare, I must be getting old and definitely need glasses.

Good talking point, though... safe in the knowledge we're in the hat on Friday week.

1 minute ago, s(k)aturation said:

Sorry mate, I think it's all a lot more contentious and subtle than that... I'm seeing him extend his leg in the air as part of playing the ball and it's on the way down and his heal on the ground by the time Fab arrives.  

As for the sinister stare, I must be getting old and definitely need glasses.

Good talking point, though... safe in the knowledge we're in the hat on Friday week.

It goes down, then he lifts it back up again when he hits Fab..

Anyway, agree to disagree!  Good game to lose yet still win. 

20 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

It goes down, then he lifts it back up again when he hits Fab..

Anyway, agree to disagree!  Good game to lose yet still win. 

I hated the loss, but when you think about it... it was I think 12 wins on the bounce up until today. So, given we simply must keep winning up to and including the City game, and beyond...  it's the only loss we could "afford" and maybe "had to have".

No way we were winning 20-plus games in a row.

Hopefully, it was the "perfect" loss - at home, and no points involved. Dead rubber.

Maybe he's just not fit/sharp right now, which is contributing to this, but am I the only one that thinks that Jota is usually pointless in these high level matches?

Excellent flat track bully, great against teams we can bombard for 90 minutes because he'll get on the end of some chances, but when we're facing sides who can go toe to toe with us and press us, he can't help us get an upper hand as the number 9. His performance really bothered me. It was really, really bad.

29 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Maybe he's just not fit/sharp right now, which is contributing to this, but am I the only one that thinks that Jota is usually pointless in these high level matches?

Excellent flat track bully, great against teams we can bombard for 90 minutes because he'll get on the end of some chances, but when we're facing sides who can go toe to toe with us and press us, he can't help us get an upper hand as the number 9. His performance really bothered me. It was really, really bad.

What other high level matches are you thinking of?

5 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

What other high level matches are you thinking of?

The Man City games, Chelsea games, Real Madrid. Dunno. Just don't really want to see him against the top teams. It's not backed up by loads of examples but I'm just not that big of a fan of his style of play, to be honest, and I don't particularly like the Mane-Jota-Salah front line in big games. I think we struggle to get out of the pressing with those 3. I do think we were unlucky with the finishing tonight, though. I'm more irked with Jota, not Salah and Mané.

4 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Thing is, it doesnt matter anymore if you play the ball if you are exposing another player to danger. 

Going in with your studs high and hitting someone high on the foot with force will always be at least a booking nowadays. 

54 minutes ago, HolyHank said:

Thing is, it doesnt matter anymore if you play the ball if you are exposing another player to danger. 

Going in with your studs high and hitting someone high on the foot with force will always be at least a booking nowadays. 

Yes of course.

Lots of things about nowadays aren't necessarily a categorical improvement on yesterdays.

1 hour ago, HolyHank said:

This. It’s been the case for about the last 20 years but seems to have passed the likes of Ferdinand by. Sliding in, face-on, is always a risky tackle these days as your studs are inevitably raised.

27 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Yes of course.

Lots of things about nowadays aren't necessarily a categorical improvement on yesterdays.

Miss the days when you could have a slight touch on the ball and then smash a player. But, according to the rules there was no way Sanchis could stay on 

8 hours ago, Harry Squatter said:

Neil Warnock has been a player and manager for about 50 years and he is an unbelievably shit pundit. 

Peter Schmeichel and Marcel Desailly too. That's before you even get to the usual knobheads. 

I always thought Schmeichel was the biggest cunts (alongside Pickford) between the sticks I'd ever seen. Then along came his son.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Edward. said:

The co-commentator said the same that he left his foot there so Sanchez would foul him.

But I thought this was acceptable as this is the tried, trusted and celebrated method; often used by Sir Harold of the Kaneshire to win pelanties.

Is this not the "clever" play of English players being used by an overseas chap?

9 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

FF never fails to amuse. Watched the first half before I came here, thinking "Hmm. Not great but Jones is working hard, shame about Virg and Joel's close misses. Could be 2-0 up here."

Enter the FF....

"RAAAAAAAGGGHHHH SHIT CUNT RAT FUCKING USELESS CUNTS RAAAAGGHHH REF RAT CUNT SHIT RAAAAAGGGHH" 

We were shit but we're through. On another night we'd have put 4 goals away. Some of you need blood pressure checks when you're watching football. 

Yes, the ref was shit.  Instead of stuffing your face maybe watch the game.  On that note yeah, your blood pressure.

32 minutes ago, HolyHank said:

Miss the days when you could have a slight touch on the ball and then smash a player. But, according to the rules there was no way Sanchis could stay on 

Souness's exploits made that incident last night look like afternoon tea with Mary Berry.