You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inter (H) - CL Round of 16 2nd leg, Tue 8th Mar 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

12 minutes ago, Caramac said:

Fab was late and shouldn't have attempted the block here, because..

j6kHA8a.gif

Any 'pundit' who thinks Fab is at fault here needs to resign, get another job and then book an appointment at Specsavers (or any other opthalmist of choice)! Which one of these two players doesnt look in control of his body in this challenge? To the mentally weak, I'll give them a clue:it's not the player in red.

3 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Wenger just accused Fab of 'cheating' to get Sanchez sent off. What a strange night.

This shits me. In the 1st half, Martinez gets a hand high on the chest and goes down holding his face, then motions to the ref that it was an elbow. He is clearly playing and asking for a straight red for something that is possibly not even a foul. 

Was this incident even mentioned?

8 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The best pundits BT have are James Richardson and James Horncastle. Neither have ever kicked a ball for money. Dunno why football shows get bogged down in feeling only ex-pros are capable of reading the game. There's a chasm of difference between wisdom and experience.

Neil Warnock has been a player and manager for about 50 years and he is an unbelievably shit pundit. 

Peter Schmeichel and Marcel Desailly too. That's before you even get to the usual knobheads. 

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Any 'pundit' who thinks Fab is at fault here needs to resign, get another job and then book an appointment at Specsavers (or any other opthalmist of choice)! Which one of these two players doesnt look in control of his body in this challenge? To the mentally weak, I'll give them a clue:it's not the player in red.

Unbelievable the way they focus on this one but not the challenge in the first half on Thiago when his studs cut him just below the knee and could have ended his season or worse. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He's both really. He presents, and routinely offers an opinion, like Lineker on MotD.

No. He isn't there for analysis. And it's good for non-players to have that journalistic role, because they can ask the questions that viewers might want answered that pros might ignore. That's why Des Lynam was a fine host. I'm not going to be manipulated into a sexist claim when I'd never make such a thing. You need certain people for certain roles, and Richardson is top class at what he does but he's not there to provide expert analysis. That's a role for those who can give expert analysis. The pundit on BT tonight was there for tokenism, not on merit.

15 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Wenger just accused Fab of 'cheating' to get Sanchez sent off. What a strange night.

Sssshhhh, it's only the women that talk shit because, well they're women.  Or something.

edit - and Ferdinand too, he agreed with the woman.  But it's only the women that talk shit.  Quite.

2-0 a good set-up for them.

LFC controlled the ball through-out, but didn't pressure them as they normally would, and did in the first leg.

So instead of getting run off their feet, they could conserve their energy and, just barely, compete.

They still didn't create enough much.

Straight red for the first challenge, and definite second yellow for the second.

He knew what he was doing but decided not to bend his knee a bit and not catch Fabinho.

• Upvote 2

We’ve been a bit off recently, passing poorer than normal, chances not being put away, even Matip’s poor pass out that led to their goal, not the sort of thing we’ve been accustomed to.

However, we are through to the quarter finals and we’ve won one of the four trophies that are available to win.

Of course, overall we need to improve, (but then you should always be aiming for perfection anyway), but sometimes you meet a team who’s style and application just seem to prevent you from playing the way you normally do.

A bit like Athletico Madrid, and although not as cynical, I felt Inter were like that tonight.

I also agree with Dion Dublin, who said on Radio 5, on the way home, that he felt we kept Inter where we wanted, bar for an unexpected worldie from Martinez, and that we could have gone up a gear if needed in his opinion.

We lost, but we didn’t, which is a big plus, and I expect things will be getting addressed by Klopp and his back room staff tomorrow at training. What we’re trying to do is a very big ask, and it disappoints when we fail at anything, but I’m sure the players are as disappointed as we are.

At least we’re not Everton.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Reckoner said:

Hopefully start this well. I don’t think it’ll be a cagey affair, I think we are more likely to be sent out with the message of ‘put the tie to bed’ with lots of goal bombardment type behaviour.

Utter drivel. As usual.

• Upvote 2

What the duck was Virgil doing for their goal? Played Joel into trouble. Last ten minutes plays two blind passes - one is almost the sexiest thing I’ve ever seen into Robbo’s path; the other straight to their man. Summed up our weirdly laxadaisacal approach through. Really happy Klopp complained about the press because I was worried he’d told them to back off - that’s not what this team does.

we need to start really fast against Brighton - Diaz please.

9 minutes ago, Edward. said:

The co-commentator said the same that he left his foot there so Sanchez would foul him.

It's an outrageous accusation. It's what comes from staring at slo-mo replays and imposing thought processes on actions that happen in a nano second. You couldn't 'cheat' like that, in that situation, even if you planned to. Leaping over the tackle, maybe, but how would you 'cheat' by letting your foot be battered into? I suppose Elliott 'cheated' against Leeds by having his ankle snapped apart. Strange days indeed.

43 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The best pundits BT have are James Richardson and James Horncastle. Neither have ever kicked a ball for money. Dunno why football shows get bogged down in feeling only ex-pros are capable of reading the game. There's a chasm of difference between wisdom and experience.

I'd be inclined to go for ex-managers rather than players. The manager has to develop a more active way of watching the game and understanding everything that's going on. A player just needs to run around and kick things.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Moo said:

Sssshhhh, it's only the women that talk shit because, well they're women.  Or something.

edit - and Ferdinand too, he agreed with the woman.  But it's only the women that talk shit.  Quite.

Shhh, don't misrepresent someone else's comment. It's shhhit.

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I'd be inclined to go for ex-managers rather than players. The manager has to develop a more active way of watching the game and understanding everything that's going on. A player just needs to run around and kick things.

It'd certainly be more tactically inclined talk. I think the bigger problem is that the ex-players and ex-managers have often just clocked off, and turn up unprepared to offer any in-depth analysis. People like Keane even mention how little football they watch. It's all broad brushstrokes, hiding how little they know of the team they're being asked to watch that week, so it inevitably skews coverage to a contentious moment or two and some kneejeek reactions.

The best prepared presenters / pundits seem to be the ones with no high-level participatory experience in the field they're covering.

I think the pundits get a pretty harsh assessment from most people on this forum.  Personally, I have time for most of them.  The only ones I'm not really into are Sky, where they have a high opinion of themselves, take themselves and the game too seriously and make everything seem like it's a matter of life or death.  I imagine the very high salaries that the likes of Gary Neville are on (who at first was a breath of fresh air) go to their heads a bit, and the effort to stoke up controversy in every incident comes across as contrived.  

But in general I like listening to most pundits and usually seek out some post match bantz on youtube to enjoy after our games.  Most of them have something worthwhile to say, having played the game their whole lives at a professional level, in my experience.   

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

I think the pundits get a pretty harsh assessment from most people on this forum.  Personally, I have time for most of them.  The only ones I'm not really into are Sky, where they have a high opinion of themselves, take themselves and the game too seriously and make everything seem like it's a matter of life or death.  I imagine the very high salaries that the likes of Gary Neville are on (who at first was a breath of fresh air) go to their heads a bit, and the effort to stoke up controversy in every incident comes across as contrived.  

But in general I like listening to most pundits and usually seek out some post match bantz on youtube to enjoy after our games.  Most of them have something worthwhile to say, having played the game their whole lives at a professional level, in my experience.   

I for one am shocked you go against the grain.

• Upvote 2