You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shane Warne

Bjornebye

Devastating news in Australia. Him in the Australian team was like when we had Suarez in his pomp and you just knew he'd produce, except Warne did it for 15-20 year's. Most that have rolled an arm over as a kid in Australia and possibly the world  have tried to bowl leg spin like Shane Warne. Even the best of the best never came close. And he mentored many a young leggy whatever the nationality down the year's. His commentary was hit and miss but his enthusiasm can't be questioned.

He made mistakes, put his hand up for most of them. Mum's diuretics stands out as one he didn't haha.

Drinking, smoking, snorting, eating whatever all the while being the best ever in your field and shagging Liz Hurley with a dad bod.

Besides the middle of the MCG, a Thai beachside villa is a decent resting place for the king of spin. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Just watched Neil Robertson get interviewed after losing to Judd in the Welsh Open there, he's absolutely gutted. Compared it to when Argentina lost Maradona. I thought he was playing off, didn't even think why. 

I feel bad for posting Hurleys tits earlier because the man was a legend in his own right. 

31 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Just watched Neil Robertson get interviewed after losing to Judd in the Welsh Open there, he's absolutely gutted. Compared it to when Argentina lost Maradona. I thought he was playing off, didn't even think why. 

I feel bad for posting Hurleys tits earlier because the man was a legend in his own right. 

Was just coming on to post that. 

https://www.eurosport.com/snooker/welsh-open-1/2021-2022/stunned-neil-robertson-devastated-by-idol-and-national-hero-shane-warne-s-death_vid1645109/video.shtml

21 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I feel bad that I just have 2 NSFW messages on screen but the  pictures haven't loaded. I'd like to think Shane would have liked me to see them.

I was hoping that they were just warnings. There are more than one image?

Last day of our regular cricket season today. Pissing down with rain. The club has decided to meet at the rooms, smoke, drink, play cards and eat pizza all day in tribute to the great man. 

It's what he would have wanted. 

• Upvote 2

Fuck, I honestly cant think of someone outside of LFC who’s death would hit me more then this.  I know he wasn’t perfect but he captivated me in a sport I had zero interest in 2005. He has everything you could ever want in a sportsman. Tiger woods aside, I’ve never seen someone have the mercurial talent to back up some unrelenting desire to compete and deliver time and time again from beginning to end. It’s only the nature of the sport itself that he’s not talked about in the same breath of tiger woods/Federer etc. He had showmanship and theatre that they didn’t even have most of the time.

Thanks for giving me some of the most privileged sporting moments of my life. Even if it involved spanking England half the time.

Very sad news.  As some have already said I hated him at the start of his career but grew to respect him and admire his incredible ability & will to win.  One of the greatest cricketers of all time but quite possibly also its greatest personality.  Some of his later work in commentary and skills schools was mesmerising, wonderful and so insightful.  Seemed a top bloke too. Gone far far too soon

It was typical of him that arguably his greatest ever series personally was in the 2005 Ashes, arguably the greatest Test series of all time, while at the same time his private life was going to hell in a hand basket. 

Warnie in a nutshell. 

• Upvote 1

There hasn’t been a sporting loss like this here in Australia that I can remember anyway, just the fact that he was known and idolised in so many countries.

Growing up in the early to mid 90s Cricket was my first sporting love before Football came into my life (and never departed).

Basically it is a summer institution and therefore I had a pretty good opportunity to watch him very closely in his prime.

When Warne came onto the scene, he literally had crowds in the palm of his hands.

If I’m honest, he was never my favourite, that Aussie team of the 90s era despite being very good was also very questionable in its behaviour on the pitch.

But his talent was extraordinary and helped develop a new generation of cricketers, and leave plenty of mental scars on the opposition along the way

He was like the Michael Jordan of the Cricket world, larger than life and as many have mentioned on here, his legend off-field was almost as big as it was on it.

Only heard him a week or so ago doing some 20/20 commentary where he was in great spirits.

He had a great feel for the game as a co-commentator, his work on Sky during the English summer is a lot better than what he produced in Australia due to the fact that he fell into the “boys club” humour and got sidetracked talking about nonsense. But in the UK his talent shone.

Was only on Twitter yesterday paying tribute to one of his mentors in Rod Marsh another major loss for the sport albeit before my time.

But yeah, even if you didn’t follow the game, you just knew who he was.

A true icon

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, Jay H said:

There hasn’t been a sporting loss like this here in Australia that I can remember anyway, just the fact that he was known and idolised in so many countries.

Growing up in the early to mid 90s Cricket was my first sporting love before Football came into my life (and never departed).

Basically it is a summer institution and therefore I had a pretty good opportunity to watch him very closely in his prime.

When Warne came onto the scene, he literally had crowds in the palm of his hands.

If I’m honest, he was never my favourite, that Aussie team of the 90s era despite being very good was also very questionable in its behaviour on the pitch.

But his talent was extraordinary and helped develop a new generation of cricketers, and leave plenty of mental scars on the opposition along the way

He was like the Michael Jordan of the Cricket world, larger than life and as many have mentioned on here, his legend off-field was almost as big as it was on it.

Only heard him a week or so ago doing some 20/20 commentary where he was in great spirits.

He had a great feel for the game as a co-commentator, his work on Sky during the English summer is a lot better than what he produced in Australia due to the fact that he fell into the “boys club” humour and got sidetracked talking about nonsense. But in the UK his talent shone.

Was only on Twitter yesterday paying tribute to one of his mentors in Rod Marsh another major loss for the sport albeit before my time.

But yeah, even if you didn’t follow the game, you just knew who he was.

A true icon

Good post. Bang on about his commentary. Sky in England have a great balance, and he bought into that. In Australia, he seemed to be surrounded by blokes more interested in banter than the game, and he'd get sidetracked. 

Probably the biggest pair of icons dying since Peter Brock and Steve Irwin went in the same week in 2006. 

• Upvote 1