You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elden Ring

35 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm level 39 but dont really know what I should be doing. I've been doing a bit of farming and exploring but am at a loss as to what I'm supposed to be doing at current level. Any suggestions?

By the way, I'm pretty shit.

Would say get through the castle, if you haven't already. Then head North to explore Liurnia. There's a lot going on up there, so you don't have to head straight for the academy, but after a good explore you'll be in the late 40s and ready to clear that area too. It's a much bigger area than Limgrave, but is much more spread out, so you'll be on the horse a lot.

Make sure you've got your weapon as upgraded as you can. Experiment with a few of the ones you've picked up on the way as you might find one that will work better for you over the long-run.

• Upvote 1

Really felt like I'd hit a brick wall, so I went away and killed the mummy dragon, re-specced to focus more on faith, cleared the two forts in caelid (fuck the prawn ruins), and then also beat the bridge boss. Up to l72 and having refilled my confidence I went back to the big Caelid boss and... he destroyed me. Every time. 

Amazing fight, but could do without the mad tracking one-shot move.

16 hours ago, Pidge said:

Really felt like I'd hit a brick wall, so I went away and killed the mummy dragon, re-specced to focus more on faith, cleared the two forts in caelid (fuck the prawn ruins), and then also beat the bridge boss. Up to l72 and having refilled my confidence I went back to the big Caelid boss and... he destroyed me. Every time. 

Amazing fight, but could do without the mad tracking one-shot move.

I'm still getting my arse handed to me by that first boss at the castle.

24 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Would offer to help, but probably wouldn't be any better than Nepheli. What are your stats?

I'm vagabond. Str 27, Vitality 20, Endurance 20.

Also put 1 point on dexterity. 

I get him down to half health but then he fucks me up.

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I'm vagabond. Str 27, Vitality 20, Endurance 20.

Also put 1 point on dexterity. 

I get him down to half health but then he fucks me up.

Use a summons. Find the jelly fish or the rotten dog. Will help no end. Don't try and fight him solo if it's a struggle, the game has a number of different ways to approach the bosses.

17 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Use a summons. Find the jelly fish or the rotten dog. Will help no end. Don't try and fight him solo if it's a struggle, the game has a number of different ways to approach the bosses.

I don't have PS plus, I think I just need to level a bit more and get better armour/weapons. Can you upgrade those summons?

Levels look fine, but now your damage is at that level, I'd start bringing up your vitality again. Make sure you have your weapon upgraded as well.

I used the jellyfish (he's pretty weak to poison) spirit summon and the NPC, I found the trick was getting good enough at the first part that they both survived well into the second phase. I needed to split his attention at that point as well (I also had the advantage of a weapon that inflicts bleed damage and a spell or two to add some risk-free damage when his back was turned). 

Rolling through his twirly attack, but trying to roll toward him for that last big hit (when he jumps high) as you want to get in and punish when he pauses to recover. You can also jump in time with the ground smashes to avoid getting stunned, and the fire spray attack (bit risky).

If you're really sick of it, you can always go around the castle (there's a path to the right) and explore Liurnia for a bit. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pidge said:

Levels look fine, but now your damage is at that level, I'd start bringing up your vitality again. Make sure you have your weapon upgraded as well.

I used the jellyfish (he's pretty weak to poison) spirit summon and the NPC, I found the trick was getting good enough at the first part that they both survived well into the second phase. I needed to split his attention at that point as well (I also had the advantage of a weapon that inflicts bleed damage and a spell or two to add some risk-free damage when his back was turned). 

Rolling through his twirly attack, but trying to roll toward him for that last big hit (when he jumps high) as you want to get in and punish when he pauses to recover. You can also jump in time with the ground smashes to avoid getting stunned, and the fire spray attack (bit risky).

If you're really sick of it, you can always go around the castle (there's a path to the right) and explore Liurnia for a bit. 

I'll have to get the NPC and use the Jellyfish, I've just been using the wolves.

Just now, Elite said:

I'll have to get the NPC and use the Jellyfish, I've just been using the wolves.

You have to talk to her before the boss area (there's a room around the green area on the approach just before the troll), then she'll turn up just on the right before the boss door.

image.png

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Pidge said:

You have to talk to her before the boss area (there's a room around the green area on the approach just before the troll), then she'll turn up just on the right before the boss door.

image.png

What tips would you give on builds, I'm going for a melee build but wouldn't mind a few spells as well.

14 minutes ago, Elite said:

What tips would you give on builds, I'm going for a melee build but wouldn't mind a few spells as well.

I switched to Faith, after starting with Int (better fit for my prisoner) as the items you find suggest much more variation at the lower levels. But, there might not be much that'll help right now. I had a good spell as starting equipment, but one more level in INT would let you use glintstone pebble, which is at least a good way to drag enemies out of a group.

You need a staff to cast them, and you need to memorise the spell at a grace before you can select it. 

Claymore might be a good early weapon for strength. Think you can get it early.

edit: or the Lord's greatsword which I think you can get from a chest in the first ruins in the game.

25 minutes ago, Elite said:

I'm having trouble changing my ashes summons. No matter what menu I go onto, I can't change the wolves to the jellyfish.

Annoying as fuck.

Go to equipment and then go to the bottom bar and select it from there, they're just held as items, not like spells or weapon ashes.  It's a bit odd because you'd expect to have to assign it to the bell or something, but FromSoft actually did something simple for once.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I'm having trouble changing my ashes summons. No matter what menu I go onto, I can't change the wolves to the jellyfish.

Annoying as fuck.

Put them into your pouch and assign a d-pad to use whilst holding triangle.  

• Upvote 1

Loving the exploration but some of the boss fights are all over the shop. So uneven in terms of difficulty. Godlike Apostle is kicking my arse in Caelid Tower but then some of the other mini dungeon bosses are taken down in several or less hits. Even within the dungeons themselves you've got a backwards difficulty curve, with the fodder being tougher than the bosses.

23 minutes ago, Elite said:

I've started boosting up my faith to be a Strength/Faith build but no idea what to do with the faith side of things? Do I need anything to cast spells etc?

The middle blue bar is your fp bar, which you use to cast. Look at the spells and see what spells you want to use and the fp cost of said spell. You will need to meet the stat requirements to use the relevant spell. I would recommend that you allocate more flasks to blue as you won’t utilise melee much. 

I would also recommend that you YouTube how to get rock sling spell and the meteorite staff. They are available early game and will help massively. 

• Upvote 1