You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Abramovich reportedly puts chelsea up for sale

3 hours ago, deiseach said:

If you believe Abramovich is writing off that £1.5 billion, I have a Bridge (geddit, capital B? Oh, never mind) in Brooklyn for you to buy. For years he told us that he was a simple private citizen with no political connections, and certainly not with anyone in the Kremlin. Now he has the connections to be able to broker a peace deal but please don't ask him about it as it might jeopardise things and it would be your fault if anything went wrong, right? And in the space of a week he has gone from transferring the 'stewardship' of the club to a charitable foundation, which was news to said charitable foundation, to selling it at a massive writedown. He is a criminal of galaxy-sized proportions and like all criminals there is no lie he won't tell, no matter how absurd, to put off the hour when there is a reckoning for his crimes.

Speaking of reckonings, throughout the dark days of the 90's when Liverpool's standing as the premier club in England was unravelling in excruciatingly slow fashion, I frequently told my brothers that we just had to bide our time, that Liverpool would eventually dance on the grave of any club that had cause to ridicule them. I meant this in the context of the Wimbledons and Sheffield Uniteds of this world who fancied themselves as having a hex over Liverpool at various stages, and it proved true enough in the medium term. It was wishful thinking when it came to more established/doped-up peers though. But then Jurgen Klopp rocked up to Anfield, and having put the run on genuine heavyweights like Man Utd and Arsenal, I can see a future where welterweights like Chelsea and Man City lose access to the supplier of their amphetamines. It's going to be great watching Chelsea's jarg swagger unravel in excruciatingly slow fashion, and it's only a matter of time before it happens to City as well. 

Good post mate

i think it was on BBC or Sky news today that it would take a couple of months for the government to build a case and be able to start seizing the assets of these Oligarchs. Very convenient and a clear window from the Tories to allow them to move their assets. As for Chelsea then Abramovic talking about writing off the 1.5 bill loan seems bollocks . The shell  company owed the money will get weighed in out of the sale proceeds before anyone gets a sniff . The “costs of sale” will no doubt gobble up most of what’s left leaving a couple of plastic flags and a stale prawn sandwich to donate to the victims of the war in Ukraine 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, deiseach said:

Good point made by a lad over at F365 that "how can giving a football club a credit note of 1.5bn possibly be in line with FFP?" The usual response would be that FFP is a joke, but 1) the authorities are going to be a lot less generous for someone as damaged as Abramovich; and 2) what incentive would he have to do a City and deploy battalions of lawyers to fight it?

They'll be happy just to see the back of him.  FFP won't come into it, IMO.

9 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Good post mate

i think it was on BBC or Sky news today that it would take a couple of months for the government to build a case and be able to start seizing the assets of these Oligarchs. Very convenient and a clear window from the Tories to allow them to move their assets. As for Chelsea then Abramovic talking about writing off the 1.5 bill loan seems bollocks . The shell  company owed the money will get weighed in out of the sale proceeds before anyone gets a sniff . The “costs of sale” will no doubt gobble up most of what’s left leaving a couple of plastic flags and a stale prawn sandwich to donate to the victims of the war in Ukraine 

Strange that the Germans were able to seize Usmanov's yacht within the week.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

He's not donating the proceeds of sale to his "anti-war" (note it's generic platitudes rather than specifically "anti-invasion-of-Ukraine" wording) foundation; he's donating anything left over. And he's "writing off" £1.5bn of loans rather than calling them in, but he's also valuing the club at £4bn when there's no way it's worth it; word is he's been offered £2.2bn in the past so that would seem to make the sums work. Whoever buys it will have to pay him a price that covers the value of the club and the value of the debt that he's written off.

He's saying he'll sell the club to anyone, and rather than be an ongoing creditor he'll work that debt into the club's value and sell for that inflated figure. That means he washes his hands of it, stashes the cash in a foundation and can siphon it off when the heat dies down. He's a fucking crook who robbed a load of natural resources using the pension fund, no way is he doing anything altruistic here, anything good is just PR to avoid the heat.

As for Chelsea - I can't see anyone underwriting them in the same way Abramovich did even if he'd stopped throwing silly cash around a few years ago. What's very interesting now is the forthcoming rules on squad sizes and loans, which they've used as a bit of a cash machine for a few years. If that dries up and the sugar daddy is no longer around, they're going to be in the same real world as the rest of us - one where you'd better keep being successful because if you stop the money slows down and so do you.

Fucking yes.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry Squatter said:

Fingers crossed. Their fans are horrible racist flag shagging royalist boot lickers. 

At least that slag Astrid Witt won't be getting her tiny tits out after every game now. 

You're saying that like it's a bad thing. No idea who she is but seen the picture below and I approve that kind of support.

That or playing a recorder.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

You're saying that like it's a bad thing. No idea who she is but seen the picture below and I approve that kind of support.

That or playing a recorder.

I'd rather someone fit with massive melons supporting us and promised to get them out after every one of our wins. They'd be getting a lot of outings given our form recently.

On a side note, the Premier League trophy really is a gaudy piece of old tat, isn't it.

Ooh, we'll put a crown on it, in gold, and maybe some lions... and they're wearing crowns too! And then we'll write the name of it in big letters like it's for winning a largest marrow contest.

Load of old shite.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

On a side note, the Premier League trophy really is a gaudy piece of old tat, isn't it.

Ooh, we'll put a crown on it, in gold, and maybe some lions... and they're wearing crowns too! And then we'll write the name of it in big letters like it's for winning a largest marrow contest.

Load of old shite.

I remember Frank Skinner saying it was great, "like the European Cup at a Christmas party". Yeah, a party where the European Cup went home early to its supermodel wife while the Premier League trophy was found crumpled in a heap under the photocopier with its trousers around its ankles. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Staverley spouting off saying it's 'unfair' Abramovich is having his club 'taken off' him! Wonder if she thinks it 'unfair' Ukrainians are having their lives 'taken off' them?

Getting nervous, perhaps? Everyone knows certain regimes are only in the game to rehabilitate their image, so the possibility of it being taken away might linger and lead to a certain level of caution.

1 hour ago, polymerpunkah said:

Almost as unfair as having your head chopped off for saying bad things about someone, to be honest.

Or being pushed back into a burning school for not taking the time to put your headscarf on before you tried to save yourself.