You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Abramovich reportedly puts chelsea up for sale

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He has only said he is not calling any loan, he has not said that he is not taking the proceeds from a sale.

EDIT here - Actually he said he is donating any net proceeds, which means he is taking out whatever he has put in and anything left he is donating to Ukraine.

He would have to have near 2 bill in so if they sell for less than that he takes it all.

This surely will derail them.

Who is gonna pay the big money it will need to buy them and then be able to fund them way he has?

Their ground is small and even though they charge ridiculous London prices they must be behind other big clubs in matchday revenue....OK i am sure they do well in other areas, but they have been propped up by his money - gonna be a very different story wheb they have to run properly....

1 hour ago, RedKnight said:

The fuck does an 86 year old Swiss fella want to buy Chelsea for?

Spend his ill gotten Nazi money most probably.  Chelsea a good fit for him there.

Any new owner is an unknown but to have £1.5bn of debt virtually written off is very fortuitous from their point of view.  

Is it too much to ask while football is moralising about Russia they look at the middle east and their involvement in the murder of thousands of Yemeni people

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, ManéMan said:

Isn't John Henry mates with Bush? I know the link is less strong than Abramovich/Putin but still, war criminals are war criminals and Bush is as big as they come.

This is the problem with modern owners,no more than six degrees of separation from the world's most odious individuals.

Russian businessman places $1m bounty on Vladimir Putin’s head (msn.com)

A Russian businessman has placed a $1m bounty on Vladimir Putin’s head and urged the country’s military officers to bring the president to justice.

Entrepreneur Alex Konanykhin made the promise in a post on social media site LinkedIn and called it his “moral duty” to take action and help Ukraine following the unprovoked attack.

“I promise to pay $1,000,000 to the officer(s) who, complying with their constitutional duty, arrest(s) Putin as a war criminal under Russian and international laws,” wrote Mr Konanykhin.

“Putin is not the Russian president as he came to power as the result of a special operation of blowing up apartment buildings in Russia, then violated the Constitution by eliminating free elections and murdering his opponents.”

His post included a photo of Mr Putin, with the caption, “Wanted: Dead or alive. Vladimir Putin for mass murder.”

And he added: “As an ethnic Russian and a Russia citizen, I see it as my moral duty to facilitate the denazification of Russia. I will continue my assistance to Ukraine in its heroic efforts to withstand the onslaught of Putin’s Orda.”

The word "Orda" is Russian for "horde".

Mr Konanykhin has a complicated history with the Russian government, and in 1996 was arrested while living in the US after Russian authorities claimed he had embezzled $8m from the Russian Exchange Bank.

FBI agents testified that the Russian mafia had taken out a contract on Mr Konanykhin, and the case was settled and he was granted political asylum.

His asylum was revoked several years later, but his deportation was eventually cancelled by US District Judge T S Ellis, who overruled it, who said that a decision to return him to Moscow “stinks”.

Mr Konanykhin’s reference to blowing up buildings relates to a conspiracy theory that the Russian intelligence service, the FSB – which Mr Putin was head of from 1998 to 1999 – was responsible for explosions in four apartment blocks in 1999 which killed about 300 people. The attacks, blamed on Chechen terrorists, helped spark the Second Chechen War, which itself helped consolidate Mr Putin’s popularity in Russia. He became prime minr in 1999 and was named acting president on the last day of the year, subsequently being elected to a full term the following March.

The theory was expounded among others by former FSB officer Alexander Litvinenko, who was assassinated in London in 2006 – apparently by Russian agents – using the radioactive isotope polonium-21.

If you believe Abramovich is writing off that £1.5 billion, I have a Bridge (geddit, capital B? Oh, never mind) in Brooklyn for you to buy. For years he told us that he was a simple private citizen with no political connections, and certainly not with anyone in the Kremlin. Now he has the connections to be able to broker a peace deal but please don't ask him about it as it might jeopardise things and it would be your fault if anything went wrong, right? And in the space of a week he has gone from transferring the 'stewardship' of the club to a charitable foundation, which was news to said charitable foundation, to selling it at a massive writedown. He is a criminal of galaxy-sized proportions and like all criminals there is no lie he won't tell, no matter how absurd, to put off the hour when there is a reckoning for his crimes.

Speaking of reckonings, throughout the dark days of the 90's when Liverpool's standing as the premier club in England was unravelling in excruciatingly slow fashion, I frequently told my brothers that we just had to bide our time, that Liverpool would eventually dance on the grave of any club that had cause to ridicule them. I meant this in the context of the Wimbledons and Sheffield Uniteds of this world who fancied themselves as having a hex over Liverpool at various stages, and it proved true enough in the medium term. It was wishful thinking when it came to more established/doped-up peers though. But then Jurgen Klopp rocked up to Anfield, and having put the run on genuine heavyweights like Man Utd and Arsenal, I can see a future where welterweights like Chelsea and Man City lose access to the supplier of their amphetamines. It's going to be great watching Chelsea's jarg swagger unravel in excruciatingly slow fashion, and it's only a matter of time before it happens to City as well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 12

1 hour ago, deiseach said:

If you believe Abramovich is writing off that £1.5 billion, I have a Bridge (geddit, capital B? Oh, never mind) in Brooklyn for you to buy. For years he told us that he was a simple private citizen with no political connections, and certainly not with anyone in the Kremlin. Now he has the connections to be able to broker a peace deal but please don't ask him about it as it might jeopardise things and it would be your fault if anything went wrong, right? And in the space of a week he has gone from transferring the 'stewardship' of the club to a charitable foundation, which was news to said charitable foundation, to selling it at a massive writedown. He is a criminal of galaxy-sized proportions and like all criminals there is no lie he won't tell, no matter how absurd, to put off the hour when there is a reckoning for his crimes.

Speaking of reckonings, throughout the dark days of the 90's when Liverpool's standing as the premier club in England was unravelling in excruciatingly slow fashion, I frequently told my brothers that we just had to bide our time, that Liverpool would eventually dance on the grave of any club that had cause to ridicule them. I meant this in the context of the Wimbledons and Sheffield Uniteds of this world who fancied themselves as having a hex over Liverpool at various stages, and it proved true enough in the medium term. It was wishful thinking when it came to more established/doped-up peers though. But then Jurgen Klopp rocked up to Anfield, and having put the run on genuine heavyweights like Man Utd and Arsenal, I can see a future where welterweights like Chelsea and Man City lose access to the supplier of their amphetamines. It's going to be great watching Chelsea's jarg swagger unravel in excruciatingly slow fashion, and it's only a matter of time before it happens to City as well. 

Great post.

I'm very curious how this will all affect Chelsea's transfer plans.

Any ideas?

11 hours ago, an tha said:

This surely will derail them.

Who is gonna pay the big money it will need to buy them and then be able to fund them way he has?

Their ground is small and even though they charge ridiculous London prices they must be behind other big clubs in matchday revenue....OK i am sure they do well in other areas, but they have been propped up by his money - gonna be a very different story wheb they have to run properly....

Never understood why they made the ground smaller. If you look at old photos and footage of Stamford Bridge the actual area of the stadium was massive but they've made it ridiculously tight and decided to put in a hotel behind the stand where the away fans sit. 

The capacity is around 41,000 I think. 

Haha good bye Chelsea, i don't care who buys them there's no way they're pumping in money the way that cunt did. They are done as a regular top 4 club in the next 5 years. 

No chance they can afford to buy players and offer the wages Abromovich used to, they don't have the revenue for it long term. If he lost £1.5 billion artificially doping them and keeping them relevant for 20 years with his dirty money, they are losing about £75 million a season on average. No chance anybody else pumps that kind of cash in long term.

They are fucked, shit fans and shit club. Half of them will be supporting Man city in a few years time. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Haha good bye Chelsea, i don't care who buys them there's no way they're pumping in money the way that cunt did. They are done as a regular top 4 club in the next 5 years. 

No chance they can afford to buy players and offer the wages Abromovich used to, they don't have the revenue for it long term. If he lost £1.5 billion artificially doping them and keeping them relevant for 20 years with his dirty money, they are losing about £75 million a season on average. No chance anybody else pumps that kind of cash in long term.

They are fucked, shit fans and shit club. Half of them will be supporting Man city  Newcastle United in a few years time. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

They are fucked, shit fans and shit club. Half of them will be supporting Man city in a few years time. 

Fingers crossed. Their fans are horrible racist flag shagging royalist boot lickers. 

At least that slag Astrid Witt won't be getting her tiny tits out after every game now. 

• Upvote 1

I could be totally wrong on this but I reckon the government have told him to sell up quickly and get the hell out of Dodge. It’s one thing seizing a yacht, some homes and some stock, it’s another seizing a football club and having to run it. 

The donation to the war effort is either for allowing him the time to sell it or in agreement that no sanctions will be brought against him. He certainly hasn’t done that for altruistic reasons.

1 hour ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Great post.

I'm very curious how this will all affect Chelsea's transfer plans.

Any ideas?

Well, I remember them flogging Clive Allen for a couple of hundred grand because they needed fast cash to buy the lease on Stamford Bridge (or something like that). It probably won't come to that - but only because even Clive Allen has his have-boots-will-travel limits.

Good point made by a lad over at F365 that "how can giving a football club a credit note of 1.5bn possibly be in line with FFP?" The usual response would be that FFP is a joke, but 1) the authorities are going to be a lot less generous for someone as damaged as Abramovich; and 2) what incentive would he have to do a City and deploy battalions of lawyers to fight it?