You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Abramovich reportedly puts chelsea up for sale

Roman Abramovich has put Chelsea up for sale by inviting potential buyers to bid for the club this week.

Telegraph Sport exclusively revealed on Monday that Chelsea owner Abramovich will receive bids for the club and Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss has since confirmed he is one of the parties who has been given the opportunity to make an offer.

It is understood that potential buyers have been contacted by an American-based merchant bank, claiming to be in charge of the sale of Chelsea.

Chelsea have not responded to the claims of Wyss or the belief that the club is now for sale.

Interested parties are thought to have been told that Abramovich wants around £4 billion for Chelsea, but sources close to the process believe that he can only expect to receive bids in the region of £2bn.

Abramovich has previously turned down offers worth £2.2bn for Chelsea, while the club’s debt to him is £1.51bn.

Advertisement

Telegraph Sport knows of at least three parties interested in buying Chelsea, with Wyss claiming he is one of four potential buyers to have been contacted.

It is understood that parties have been encouraged to make their best bids by the end of this week, with Abramovich now under huge pressure to sell Chelsea.

Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has resulted in calls for Abramovich to be sanctioned, despite claims he has offered support to peace talks between the two countries. The 55-year-old’s spokesperson has not responded to reports he is selling his properties, including his mansion in Kensington Palace Gardens.

Abramovich has attempted to distance himself from Russian president Vladimir Putin, but, speaking to Swiss newspaper Blick, Wyss said: “Like all other oligarchs, he (Abramovich) is also in a panic. Abramovich is trying to sell all his villas in England. He also wants to get rid of Chelsea quickly. I and three other people received an offer on Tuesday to buy Chelsea from Abramovich.

Advertisement

“I have to wait four to five days now. Abramovich is currently asking far too much. You know, Chelsea owe him £2bn. 

“As of today, we don't know the exact selling price. I can well imagine starting at Chelsea with partners. But I have to examine the general conditions first. But what I can already say: I'm definitely not doing something like this alone. If I buy Chelsea, then with a consortium consisting of six to seven investors.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/02/roman-abramovich-puts-chelsea-sale-swiss-billionaire-hansjorg/

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

How much did Ashley get off of the Saudis? I wonder if he might like the sound of the Sports Direct Bridge. Much closer to home.

£320m wasnt it? Remains to be seen whether he actually does sell if he's looking for £4bn and supposed potential buyers are talking £2bn though.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Interested parties are thought to have been told that Abramovich wants around £4 billion for Chelsea, but sources close to the process believe that he can only expect to receive bids in the region of £2bn.

That's a brilliant briefing of the press. You can see how this great man amassed so much money in an entirely conventional and legal manner.

6 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

£320m wasnt it? Remains to be seen whether he actually does sell if he's looking for £4bn and supposed potential buyers are talking £2bn though.

In that case, I’m sure Ashley can spearhead a consortium. Maybe link up with an American (or two) who’d also like another bite of the soccer cherry? 

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

In that case, I’m sure Ashley can spearhead a consortium. Maybe link up with an American (or two) who’d also like another bite of the soccer cherry? 

Gillett. The worst a man can get? 

• Upvote 1

Nobody is paying £4BN for fucking Chelsea. Least of all in present times when there will be concerns what Roman will do with the money, and whether he'll use the money to help fund Russia's war in Ukraine. Best to just confiscate Chelsea and nationalise it, then run it into the fucking ground like the Tories have done with every other national asset.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I suppose we could have a whip-round. 

Dave can't have spent all of the subcription money. 

We could do anything. We could change their club song to the Benny Hill theme. 

Would we pass the fit and proper owners test though?