You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Chelsea 0 Liverpool 0 - 10-11 on pens (Feb 27 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

One down three to go. Of course we had to do it the hard way as nothing is ever easy with us in finals.

This one was particularly excruciating though as that penalty shoot out felt like it would never end. Neither team deserved to lose this one and for a long time it looked like neither would. Until Kepa ended the impasse.

You often need luck to win finals and that was certainly the case here. We were just about the better side but Chelsea probably had more clear chances. They also had THREE goals disallowed for offside. Two of them were clear enough, one of them was as close as it gets. We had one ruled out too, a decision not everyone is happy about but I have no complaints. More on that later.

In addition to the disallowed goals Chelsea missed some glorious chances. So did we, probably quite as many though. How on earth did this end goalless? It’s as good of a 0-0 draw as you’ll see. I thought it was a great game, really absorbing, full of incidents and chances and there wasn’t really any lull in it at any point. Maybe extra time things dropped off a bit as players got tired, but this was a pulsating game with two great teams going toe to toe.

We won and I’m obviously made up about it, but if we’d lost I wouldn’t have had any complaints as it really was one of those coin flip games. Chelsea played us really well once again. There’s absolutely nothing between us in three meetings this season now. It’s a good job they’ve dropped loads of points to shite teams or they’d be as much of a threat as City.

We have a clear edge over them up front although we didn’t show it in this game, mainly because Sadio wasn’t as clinical as we needed him to be. I thought he played well apart from the lack of a goal, but I agreed with the decision to take him off even if he didn’t. Again, more on that later.

The starting eleven was exactly what most expected. At least it would have been had Thiago not injured himself in the warm up. Keita replaced him and Elliott then found himself promoted to the bench. Both he and Curtis had been left out completely, as had Joe Gomez. Brutal for all of them, and it was noticeable that neither Jones nor Gomez seemed to play much of an active role in the post match celebrations. Not everyone can be like Kostas I guess.

It does seem a little strange that Elliott wasn’t on the bench initially yet he ended up going on to replace Hendo while Ox was left kicking his heels. I’m not questioning that decision, in anything I’m questioning why Ox was preferred for the bench when he is clearly behind Harvey in the pecking order. 

Losing Thiago was such a body blow though. It completely knocked the stuffing out of me just prior to kick off. I wasn’t exactly full of confidence beforehand but I had us maybe 60-40. After losing Thiago that dropped to 50-50. Which as it turned out was pretty accurate.

The game kicked off and we saw Thiago absolutely distraught on the bench, being consoled by Allison. I think if I was as upset as that then Alisson would be the person I’d want consoling me too. You’re not going to get anyone better, he’s just such a great fella. Gutted for Thiago though, and also for us if he’s out for any length of time. Still no word on the injury so let’s just hope for the best.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report Dave. I thought that kid was one of Alli's or the players. Laughed my moobs off when I found out he was a fan!

I noticed Sadio appeared to have a right cob on, too. That must have been Mo's poorest game for us yet he still stayed on? No wonder Sadio's grumpy. I honestly think he'll be looking for a move in the summer but, where to?

Think Gomez may also move on as he just doesnt seem in Jurgen's plans any more. Same with Ox (which will please some, no doubt!).

Cheers Dave. Really enjoyed that.

But also little disappointed that you’re being so fair minded to those cunts. I would have preferred much more vitriol at that lot and at Atwell. You are better man than me. 

Strongly agree with this:

We won and I’m obviously made up about it, but if we’d lost I wouldn’t have had any complaints” 

And that was my mindset too. Until Upson, Atwell, Rudiger and Cunt-in-Chief Azpilicueta got to me. Throw Reece-James in that mix as well, the arrogant finger sushing cunt.

Winning is a habit. To win in that atmosphere, with that tension, that level of stress and tiredness kicking in will surely add to our (already strong) mentality. How blessed to be watching this team.

I hope it crushes those plastics as much as it lifts us. And it will lift us. 

Cheers for the report. 
Onto the podcast.

• Upvote 1

Excellent report. Was looking forward to this and the pod all day.

Sadio left the celebrations when the champagne was popping. Otherwise he was fine. He has done this previously. Non issue.

Werner's was the pen that Kelleher should have saved. Surprisingly oul Timo had the worst penalty of the evening until the most expensive goalkeeper of all time, pulled a Charlie Adam, the prick (Charlie and "Kepa")

• Upvote 2

Great report, Dave. Really enjoyed the article but let's clear up the Mane titty lip narrative. 

True, he was disappointed to be taken off but him standing aside during the celebrations was because of his religious beliefs about alcohol. Being a devout Sunni muslim, he tries to avoid any contact with it. There is a video of him chatting to Minamino before the champagne started getting sprayed.

And even though Minamino respectfully agreed not to spray any, other people around did. That's why Mane eventually had to stand aside. There are a few pictures of him afterwards smiling and holding the trophy after that. He is fine.

• Upvote 7

12 hours ago, bossy said:

I’m knackered all over again reading this. Nice one Dave, but I still don’t understand Big Birds goal being disallowed. Then again, I was convinced Lukaku was on too.  What a great game of footy. 

I don't know if it's a recent thing (I think it is) but you just can't do what Virgil did anymore. If you're offside and you impede someone from getting back to challenge for the ball, you'll be penalised for it and I actually think that's a good thing. I have no problem with that goal being disallowed, just so long as they're consistent with it.

12 hours ago, RedSand said:

But also little disappointed that you’re being so fair minded to those cunts. I would have preferred much more vitriol at that lot and at Atwell. You are better man than me. 

Strongly agree with this:

We won and I’m obviously made up about it, but if we’d lost I wouldn’t have had any complaints” 

And that was my mindset too. Until Upson, Atwell, Rudiger and Cunt-in-Chief Azpilicueta got to me. Throw Reece-James in that mix as well, the arrogant finger sushing cunt.

The only issue I had with them were Azpilacueta being his usual cunt self, and I didn't like Mount trying to get Naby sent off for an 'elbow'. 

The shushing on the pens is fine. It's at our end, our fans are doing all they can to put them off, it's fine for them to give it some when they score. We loved what Jota did to the Leicester fans so a bit of shushing isn't that big a deal!

10 hours ago, Razoray said:

Sadio left the celebrations when the champagne was popping. Otherwise he was fine. He has done this previously. Non issue.

Werner's was the pen that Kelleher should have saved. Surprisingly oul Timo had the worst penalty of the evening until the most expensive goalkeeper of all time, pulled a Charlie Adam, the prick (Charlie and "Kepa")

I seen the Sadio stuff this morning and yeah it makes sense now. Not sure why Mo and Naby stayed in there but each to their own.

7 hours ago, Supremolad said:

Great report, Dave. Really enjoyed the article but let's clear up the Mane titty lip narrative. 

True, he was disappointed to be taken off but him standing aside during the celebrations was because of his religious beliefs about alcohol. Being a devout Sunni muslim, he tries to avoid any contact with it. There is a video of him chatting to Minamino before the champagne started getting sprayed.

And even though Minamino respectfully agreed not to spray any, other people around did. That's why Mane eventually had to stand aside. There are a few pictures of him afterwards smiling and holding the trophy after that. He is fine.

Again, yeah I saw all that this morning so happy there's no issue there. Some of the other lads were really subdued though. That inside the dressing room video was telling. Ox sat alone on his phone for most of it. No sign of Curtis or Joe (and others) even in the dressing room at all. Could be nothing, could be something.

3 hours ago, DJLJ said:

I’m pretty sure Timo in German means Stuart, and Werner translates as Montagu. 

fixed…

No it's definitely Barlow. I know Montagu in Spanish is Arrizabalaga, as anyone who has seen them both take a pen will testify.

2 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Top, top Timo Cisse analysis there, Dave.

I ought to neg that for the level of disrespect shown to the Earl of Frodsham.

• Upvote 2

Always impressed by Chelsea whenever we play them. It's easy to see why they're European champions. Have to think that if we win the FA cup and the Champions league, we'll have to go through them to do it. 

7 hours ago, Supremolad said:

All of that might be true, but it doesn't give Usher the chance to stick boot into Mane, does it?

11 hours ago, sir roger said:

I reckon I have seen us in over 30 finals and can barely remember a single totally relaxed, comfortable win in any of them. Maybe Sunderland and Newcastle F A Cups. 

How about Spurs in the CL final? Early goal, controlled possession against a weaker team, then got the winner with 10 minutes to go. 

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

How about Spurs in the CL final? Early goal, controlled possession against a weaker team, then got the winner with 10 minutes to go. 

Origi was 87th minute after a period of Spurs pressure.  I was pooing in my Calvins until Divock settled it. 

1 hour ago, dave u said:
1 hour ago, dave u said:

I don't know if it's a recent thing (I think it is) but you just can't do what Virgil did anymore. If you're offside and you impede someone from getting back to challenge for the ball, you'll be penalised for it and I actually think that's a good thing. I have no problem with that goal being disallowed, just so long as they're consistent with it.

The only issue I had with them were Azpilacueta being his usual cunt self, and I didn't like Mount trying to get Naby sent off for an 'elbow'. 

The shushing on the pens is fine. It's at our end, our fans are doing all they can to put them off, it's fine for them to give it some when they score. We loved what Jota did to the Leicester fans so a bit of shushing isn't that big a deal!

I seen the Sadio stuff this morning and yeah it makes sense now. Not sure why Mo and Naby stayed in there but each to their own.

Again, yeah I saw all that this morning so happy there's no issue there. Some of the other lads were really subdued though. That inside the dressing room video was telling. Ox sat alone on his phone for most of it. No sign of Curtis or Joe (and others) even in the dressing room at all. Could be nothing, could be something.

No it's definitely Barlow. I know Montagu in Spanish is Arrizabalaga, as anyone who has seen them both take a pen will testify.

I ought to neg that for the level of disrespect shown to the Earl of Frodsham.

Naby and Mo were desperately trying to get out of the way.

• Upvote 2

There's really no need to even have the proper stuff is there? Its not like the players even drink it like back in the day. Just give them non alcoholic stuff so everyone can take part.

I'm actually shocked that it isnt non alcoholic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kevin D said:

Thought about that one, but although they were mainly kept at arms length I don't think we played well and I never thought it was completely beyond Spurs until Divock's goal

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic