You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

On 11/04/2022 at 13:27, dockers_strike said:

Exactly. Some folk seem to be searching for the perfect player but does he exist in our price range?

More importantly,does this player have the right attributes both physically and mentally for this team? We dont sign superstars and not just because of their fee,but the mentality of our midfield players has to be strong and focused on the team over the individual. This is why Hendo is still a major part of our set up,Milner too.

Our midfield recycles the ball to Robbo/Trent generally, who then have pace and crossing ability to feed the front three directly. The exceptions are Hendo, who likes to get those short incisive 1-2’s going, and Bobby when he plays deep but get’s forward. We can look ponderous at times because we rely on the fullbacks & their creativity to a large degree. We’re a solid midfield when it comes to possession around the halfway line, but the downside is a slow build up into attacking chances at times.

I guess we can’t have it all. We create masses of chances though, in any one game, and as long as the final strike is accurate, we score goals. Lots of goals. The biggest problem for us right now, is that our no1 goal scorer has scored the vast % of his goals in the first half of the season.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

More importantly,does this player have the right attributes both physically and mentally for this team? We dont sign superstars and not just because of their fee,but the mentality of our midfield players has to be strong and focused on the team over the individual. This is why Hendo is still a major part of our set up,Milner too.

I can see it with Milner, but not with Henderson.  I don't believe he has a strong mentality.  He is weak under pressure on the ball, and he rarely challenges for the ball, preferring to be passive when we need him to be aggressive.  And even when given time on the ball, he prefers others to take the responsibility of shooting or making the killer pass.  Those floating curling instep percentage balls into the box when the ball is coming on to him are a good example of it. I can't recall when he's ever won a 50-50 header either.  Believe it or not I have nothing but respect for him off the pitch, but as a captain I just don't think he sets the right example on it.

• Upvote 1

People hate Henderson's crossing, but part of the reason he's still pretty much first choice is that he can go wide, which allows Trent to go infield. Probably also why Elliott was a factor, he has winger skills. Chamberlain, although he doesn't play much anymore, is the same. It seems to be with the optic of having Trent go central. I wonder if we'll persist with that or not. It's different when Keita plays for example, and we're not linked with centre mids who play that kind of way; Tchouameni is not that type of player.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

People hate Henderson's crossing, but part of the reason he's still pretty much first choice is that he can go wide, which allows Trent to go infield. Probably also why Elliott was a factor, he has winger skills. Chamberlain, although he doesn't play much anymore, is the same. It seems to be with the optic of having Trent go central. I wonder if we'll persist with that or not. It's different when Keita plays for example, and we're not linked with centre mids who play that kind of way; Tchouameni is not that type of player.

He’s a good crosses people hate those floatey shit balls he does from the centre.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, stringvest said:

I can see it with Milner, but not with Henderson.  I don't believe he has a strong mentality.  He is weak under pressure on the ball, and he rarely challenges for the ball, preferring to be passive when we need him to be aggressive.  And even when given time on the ball, he prefers others to take the responsibility of shooting or making the killer pass.  Those floating curling instep percentage balls into the box when the ball is coming on to him are a good example of it. I can't recall when he's ever won a 50-50 header either.  Believe it or not I have nothing but respect for him off the pitch, but as a captain I just don't think he sets the right example on it.

It does seem like Henderson is not his 3rd man anymore and Elliot has been struggling for a place in the squad since he was dubious in Milan.

14 hours ago, Kevin D said:

It does seem like Henderson is not his 3rd man anymore and Elliot has been struggling for a place in the squad since he was dubious in Milan.

I do wonder what happened with Elliot.  Was it the result of one bad performance, is it attitude, confidence?  He seems to have pedalled backwards at a rate of knots.

32 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I do wonder what happened with Elliot.  Was it the result of one bad performance, is it attitude, confidence?  He seems to have pedalled backwards at a rate of knots.

His ankle got snapped off

• Downvote 1

On 09/05/2022 at 08:15, stringvest said:

Hook,line and sinker!

It's a shame Ox is fucking useless defensively, he's actually pretty good at overlapping wide on the right and letting Trent and Mo come inside.

He's also not made many of the match day squads recently. Keita will be starting tomorrow unless Milner's convinced Klopp he can roll back the years.

• 4 weeks later...

So, Carvalho is in and it looks like Nunez & Ramsey won't be far behind.

Given we were in for Touchameni and Klopp personally spoke to him, I still think we'll go for a midfielder as well. 

Personally, this is where I'd have started our business this summer but I'm not going to complain.

From the names I've seen us linked with, IMO, Bellingham looks the best bet. Even though it'd be a lot of money, he could play for us for >15 years. I keep seeing reports Dortmund don't need the money now they've sold Haaland but they also have a new coach coming in. Would the coach want to have a season with Bellingham and then his side ripped apart or would he rather take the money now and build from there?

I don't know anything about this lad from PSV, Ibrahim Sangare, so can't comment.

What I would say, Touchameni, Bellingham and Sangare are all big lads, all >6.1ft, so we're obviously looking to put some extra physicality in there. 

I've not seen him linked but if De Jong is available, I wouldn't be against signing him either. Sounds like he'd be cheaper than Bellingham and given he's the mancs No. 1 target, it'd be funny to pip them to another signing. 

The links to McGinn from Villa seem to have stopped as well, at approaching 28, he's a few years older than the rest.

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Given we were in for Touchameni and Klopp personally spoke to him, I still think we'll go for a midfielder as well. 

I think it's Nunez for Touchemini in much the same way it was Alisson for Fekir.

Klopp signs potential superstars, irrespective of position, and moulds the team, shape and tactics to turn them into those superstars.

We have lots of evidence of this now with Mane for Gotze, Salah for Brand, Trent at 'right back', Elliott in midfield and Bobby as a one off #9.

He's a proper coach and a footballing legend.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, m0e said:

I think it's Nunez for Touchemini in much the same way it was Alisson for Fekir.

Klopp signs potential superstars, irrespective of position, and moulds the team, shape and tactics to turn them into those superstars.

We have lots of evidence of this now with Mane for Gotze, Salah for Brand, Trent at 'right back', Elliott in midfield and Bobby as a one off #9.

He's a proper coach and a footballing legend.

Yeah, I agree with that. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that Tchouameni and Nunez will end up going for close to the same fee. I think we set out to try to buy one of the best players on the market this summer. 

The interesting part will be if we go back in the market for midfield after. Had we bought Tchouameni, I imagine we would have had a more low cost option to replace Mane. Maybe it will be the same for midfield, or maybe we won't bother at all. 

I was going to say that we seem to take our time and identify the right player these days, e.g. Konate, so we'd probably not bother and hope that Jones, Elliott, Keita, Milner and Carvalho would be good enough for back up, if the quality of player we want isn't available.

But we did buy Jota when we needed numbers up front and he was seen primarily as a bench option.  So maybe there is a 30-40 million midfielder we are eyeing up as the Tchouameni fall back option.  Guess we'll find out.

44 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I was going to say that we seem to take our time and identify the right player these days, e.g. Konate, so we'd probably not bother and hope that Jones, Elliott, Keita, Milner and Carvalho would be good enough for back up, if the quality of player we want isn't available.

But we did buy Jota when we needed numbers up front and he was seen primarily as a bench option.  So maybe there is a 30-40 million midfielder we are eyeing up as the Tchouameni fall back option.  Guess we'll find out.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1621231/liverpool-news-kalvin-phillips-gavi-leeds-united-barcelona-transfer-gossip/amp

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

I do think Phillips is a decent player but his injury record isn’t great. 

Man City want him as well. 

The fact he’s from the same area of Leeds that I live in doesn’t effect my judgement. Although Milner is also from here, I’d be happy if he turned out like him. 

On 04/05/2022 at 13:35, Pete said:

Every Paella I have ever had from the Spanish restaurant (run by Spaniards) has had Chorizo in it, unless it's a seafood or Vegetarian Paella. 

I think paella with chorizo is like all those "Indian" dishes that you get in Indian restaurants in the UK but are unknown in India. 

Tyler Morton is going to be a bit special when he grows up.

42 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

I do think Phillips is a decent player but his injury record isn’t great. 

Man City want him as well. 

The fact he’s from the same area of Leeds that I live in doesn’t effect my judgement. Although Milner is also from here, I’d be happy if he turned out like him. 

Does he offer anything exceptional we don't have either in a single player or in a combination?

With Milner, Henderson and Fabinho in the squad he seems a bit redundant and would be an expensive back up.