You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

14 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, I noticed Hendo was well forward during the first half but the usual miscreants said he was anonymous. It's like Jurgen says, Hendo's biggest problem is he isnt Steven Gerrard and if some of our fans dont recognise that, there's nothing he can do to help them.

There are at least two or three times a game where someone will tee him up for a crack just outside the area and he doesn't take it - it is the main weakness in his game. He just doesn't seem to want to put his foot through it. As we were discussing DeBruyne in another thread - he would never pass up those chances to shoot. Neither did Steven.

4 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah, I noticed Hendo was well forward during the first half but the usual miscreants said he was anonymous. It's like Jurgen says, Hendo's biggest problem is he isnt Steven Gerrard and if some of our fans dont recognise that, there's nothing he can do to help them.

Not sure if I’m one of the miscreants, doesnt really matter. For me anyway, as a critic of Henderson, I do acknowledge his work rate, his leadership and his positional sense as good qualities. But I also think his passing and creativity is somewhat below what we should expect from a midfielder at this club. And I’m definately not using Gerrard as a yardstick when I say that. His weakest part however is his defensive qualities. He hardly ever makes a challenge, never mind wins a tackle, same for aerial challenges, and he’s also not very good at intercepting play. 

I’m probably guilty of being too critical of him, and definately in the match threads. But I honestly dont think he’s good enough to be a regular here. And after checking the defensive stats, they’re even worse than I imagined.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

His weakest part however is his defensive qualities. He hardly ever makes a challenge, never mind wins a tackle, same for aerial challenges, and he’s also not very good at intercepting play. 

I’m probably guilty of being too critical of him, and definately in the match threads. But I honestly dont think he’s good enough to be a regular here. And after checking the defensive stats, they’re even worse than I imagined.

Meh. He is similar to KDB, Gundogan and Silva in terms of tackles/interceptions. Difference is those three score golas. 

Alot of them.

• 4 weeks later...

Was tough viewing in that first half where Thiago kept conceding possession, we ended up just like a turtle on its back in the sun as they collected the gift and we were left exposed time and again. 

It worries me, probably unneccessarily, that a side less FUCKING SHIT than those cheating yellow cunts would put 3 past us if we gave them as many gifts as that, but then again I don't think Virgil would have been as shit as he was in that first half.  

Very hard to explain that first half.  Bit of everything contributed to it.  But rest assured Tuchel was watching and will try and build on it for the FA Cup Final. 

50 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Was tough viewing in that first half where Thiago kept conceding possession, we ended up just like a turtle on its back in the sun as they collected the gift and we were left exposed time and again. 

It worries me, probably unneccessarily, that a side less FUCKING SHIT than those cheating yellow cunts would put 3 past us if we gave them as many gifts as that, but then again I don't think Virgil would have been as shit as he was in that first half.  

Very hard to explain that first half.  Bit of everything contributed to it.  But rest assured Tuchel was watching and will try and build on it for the FA Cup Final. 

Chelsea have their bad days too. They lost to Everton, and Brentford spanked them at home. It happens. 

I noticed Paul Gorst, and I think someone else from the LFC patch reporters but can’t recall who, saying we aren’t looking to sign a midfielder for the first 11 or spend big money on one this summer, due to our strength in depth in that department. It was in the context of discussing the lad at Monaco and how we’re ‘aggressively monitoring’ him with an eye on summer 2023 and hoping he stays there til then. Hope that’s bollocks. As ridiculously good as we are overall and as many numbers as we have there, that area of the squad could do with the sort of quality boost Diaz, Jota, Konate and Tsimikas have given us, plus I feel a similar class of player to those would get into the first 11 now alongside Fabinho and Thiago.

2 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

I noticed Paul Gorst, and I think someone else from the LFC patch reporters but can’t recall who, saying we aren’t looking to sign a midfielder for the first 11 or spend big money on one this summer, due to our strength in depth in that department. It was in the context of discussing the lad at Monaco and how we’re ‘aggressively monitoring’ him with an eye on summer 2023 and hoping he stays there til then. Hope that’s bollocks. As ridiculously good as we are overall and as many numbers as we have there, that area of the squad could do with the sort of quality boost Diaz, Jota, Konate and Tsimikas have given us, plus I feel a similar class of player to those would get into the first 11 now alongside Fabinho and Thiago.

Your logic and sensibility is no match for our puny, dissatisfied invective.

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

Can I at least have some of that egg and chorizo?

But of course.

It's made everything I've had today since (apart from the bottle of red) totally inadequate.

I just had fucking cheese and biscuits for dinner!  

• Upvote 1

Just now, s(k)aturation said:

But of course.

It's made everything I've had since today (apart from the bottle of red) totally inadequate.

I just had fucking cheese and biscuits for dinner!

Cheers man. Looked fucking decent.

Very few things as pleasing within the cooking process as chorizo oil oozing out into the pan for subsequent ingredients. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

A592C309-B188-4D7E-8B7D-2D0A4B84CB3E.gif

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Cheers man. Looked fucking decent.

Very few things as pleasing within the cooking process as chorizo oil oozing out into the pan for subsequent ingredients. 

You can see why Spanish men treat cooking paella with Hemingwayian reverence.

6 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

I always put chorizo in paella, but I believe this might be frowned upon as inauthentic?

I wouldn't have thought so, but I could be wrong.

I know paella is chicken and seafood-y... but I'd have thought the salty smoked paprika chilli oil in chorizo is reasonably characteristic of some authentic paella versions.

I put the lot in.

3 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I know paella is chicken and seafood-y... but I'd have thought the salty smoked paprika chilli oil in chorizo is reasonably characteristic of some authentic paella versions.

I put the lot in.

Agreed, if I was Spanish I would put chorizo in every meal.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

I put the lot in.

Chorizo and rabbit are both authentic. 

• Like 1

Every Paella I have ever had from the Spanish restaurant (run by Spaniards) has had Chorizo in it, unless it's a seafood or Vegetarian Paella. 

What this has to do with our midfield I'm not sure but there you go.

• Like 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

How’s the x-rated cookbook coming along, mate? 

My USP of being a gone-to-seed middle-aged male version of Nigella Lawson hasn’t attracted quite as many publishers as I hoped, but we soldier on.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Every Paella I have ever had from the Spanish restaurant (run by Spaniards) has had Chorizo in it, unless it's a seafood or Vegetarian Paella. 

Yeah, it doesn't seem like a stretch does it.

It's reasonably perennially Spanish, is chorizo.