You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's irrelevant because it's about the desire to address the position. You can make deals if the desire is there. You can structure them differently, you can defer payments, as we already did for other transfers. 

Bullshit its obvious we have huge restrictions with FSG. Klopp can't make two signings for the first eleven in the same window. 

It's irrelevant because it's about the desire to address the position. You can make deals if the desire is there. You can structure them differently, you can defer payments, as we already did for other transfers. 

Deferring payments is irrelevant from accounting perspective. Value of the player + wages are accounted for based on the number of years of the contract....even if we don't make any payment to the selling club for, say, 2 whole years.

It's all about the books.

13 minutes ago, Code said:

What a load of shite. 

Thiago is 31 and Henderson is 32, we live in 2022, not 1972. 

Casemiro, Kroos and Modric were dominated in loads of games last season and picked their matches. You can't be energetic and have the motivation every week at that age, it's normal. Relax, mate.

4 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Bullshit its obvious we have huge restrictions with FSG. Klopp can't make two signings for the first eleven in the same window. 

We signed both Thiago and Jota two summers ago, lassy. And it helps my point. There was huge financial uncertainty and we made it happen anyway.

I know it is about "targets" and the "right players" but surely we must know that next summer Oxlade is finally flushed, Milner will surely be finished and of course we will be looking at Hendo being 33.

So there is going to have to be significant action in the transfer market - and that is without thinking about what might happen with Keita - if we finally say enough is enough and of course how it goes with the kids and Jones...

So if as it looks we are, we are walking into an injury crisis in midfield now - then surely we can look to bring a deal forward and get one in now - even if it costs a bit more than it would next summer....It also means we are not settling in 2 or 3 new midfielders in one go next summer.

We signed both Thiago and Jota two summers ago, lassy. And it helps my point. There was huge financial uncertainty and we made it happen anyway.

That summer we sold all our defenders to pay for them? 

Jota wasn't signed to go straight in

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I know it is about "targets" and the "right players" but surely we must know that next summer Oxlade is finally flushed, Milner will surely be finished and of course we will be looking at Hendo being 33.

So there is going to have to be significant action in the transfer market - and that is without thinking about what might happen with Keita - if we finally say enough is enough and of course how it goes with the kids and Jones...

So if as it looks we are, we are walking into an injury crisis in midfield now - then surely we can look to bring a deal forward and get one in now - even if it costs a bit more than it would next summer....It also means we are not settling in 2 or 3 new midfielders in one go next summer.

This is exactly it for me. Our weakest point is midfield which is going to get even weaker next summer so why not start the process now to atleast get 1 midfielder. I don't get it. When Klopp explained during pre season it was convincing to a great extent. But since then we have had injuries and Klopp did say if players leave or get injured we have to take a look at the situation.

If rumours are true about 3 months for Thiago it would be insanely criminal if we don't get a midfielder now.

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

That summer we sold all our defenders to pay for them? 

Jota wasn't signed to go straight in

Dejan Lovren and Natty Clyne equals selling all our defenders? Haha. Sure.

Even better on Jota. We paid 40m for a squad player. Big spending.

15 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Deferring payments is irrelevant from accounting perspective. Value of the player + wages are accounted for based on the number of years of the contract....even if we don't make any payment to the selling club for, say, 2 whole years.

It's all about the books.

We all know accounting is reality.

2 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

What's the nature of the injury for Thiago?

Who the fuck are we going to bring in on loan!?

Hamstring - a "bad" one according to Klopp.

Scan today....so probably get results of it in about a fortnight!

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Yeah I heard he is out until after Qatar and we are exploring a potential loan signing which, if true, is a joke.

I hope the bit about a loan is crap. 

I could see Thiago being out for 3 months, he dissapears for over a month for apparent innocuous injuries.

It's a shame because he is a wonderful, intelligent footballer and seems a cracking bloke.

54 minutes ago, Strontium said:

The thread title is increasingly reminding me of Gandhi's comments on Western civilisation - a Liverpool midfield would be a good idea.

Was he the guy who said ‘You may think that I’m a dreamer, but I reckon we can draw with City 1-1.’ 

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

This is exactly it for me. Our weakest point is midfield which is going to get even weaker next summer so why not start the process now to atleast get 1 midfielder. I don't get it. When Klopp explained during pre season it was convincing to a great extent. But since then we have had injuries and Klopp did say if players leave or get injured we have to take a look at the situation.

If rumours are true about 3 months for Thiago it would be insanely criminal if we don't get a midfielder now.

Completely agree. I don't get it.

My fear is they are being told there is money for Bellingham and that is it because I just don't how anyone can look at our options and see we have loads of players but think that the scenario that has occurred in the last week was unpredictable for Ox, Thiago and Naby.

My fear reading the comments Pep made about Diaz and the fact that they were desperate to get him in during Jan was that the move still didn't seem to be authorised until Spurs forced the issue.

If so, maybe Jurgen and Pep are trying to push the issue and now with the injury to Thiago they will have more leverage. Albeit I kinda don't really feel that is the case based on Jürgen's public comments.

I think we could easily justify two arrivals (including Bellingham) over this summer and next especially if the Ox, Milner and Naby go. I really really struggle to see how our medical and data analytics teams don't see the upcoming/present issues and with all of their databases how they don't have a list of players.

This idea of going after loan players suggests they either don't have the funds or hopefully that Jürgen has a couple of players he wants, doesn't want to deviate and they are simply not available.

35 minutes ago, an tha said:

A loan is not the answer here.

We have pretty major surgery to perform on our midfield over next year or so.

We should have been cracking away on it at the start of this window.

The bit that really annoys me is when I hear the club are "relaxed about it" and and then the likes of the Echo tell us they are "already" looking at midfield options for next summer while, without a hint of irony, telling us how they plan 2-3 windows ahead.

I just don't get why they aren't a bit more careful with how they word stuff because when you then have a load of injuries that were predictable it doesn't paint them in the best possible light