You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

Worked out alright hasn't it.

The walking footballers gone.

A midfield that scores a few goals.....

Macca has been brilliant. The others have made different impacts through the season. But they're all a step up on what keita, henderson, fab and Chamberlain gave us last season. I still think we're 1 light in there. 

15 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Macca has been brilliant. The others have made different impacts through the season. But they're all a step up on what keita, henderson, fab and Chamberlain gave us last season. I still think we're 1 light in there. 

That one is arguably Bajcetic. Hopefully we'll have him as a real option next season.

For me the jury is still out on Gravenberch, at the moment he looks like another body who can fill in but perhaps doesn't bring much else to the party. 

The club's  recruitment team and staff have done brilliantly with MacAllister, Szoboslai and Endo.

Jones and Elliott are great options, hopefully the former can stay fit and challenge for a first team space.

Clark looks a decent prospect. Unsure on McConnell, Morton and Bajetic for various reasons (ceiling and injury return), but even if one of them comes good that would be excellent.

If we can swap Thiago's significant wages onto an excellent defensive midfielder we should have near on the most competitive midfield in the league next year (injuries permitting).

• Upvote 1

No more 'Trent for midfield' claims of late? If you can't see why Trent is used at full back then look at Robbo's impact on the opposite side last night. Even Elliott with the space he had,but further forward of course,on Trent's natural side.

19 hours ago, an tha said:

That one is arguably Bajcetic. Hopefully we'll have him as a real option next season.

Maybe. I don't really want to think too much about him. Players who lose a year of the career at his age, it can have a devastating effect. I see him as someone who might be a bonus. We have enough question marks on Jones fitness capabilities without adding bajcetic to the equation. But obviously this could all change in the summer - not only may we adopt a different style of play, but the new manager may have differing views on where players like Elliot, gakpo, gravenberch and maybe even Dom can and should play. 

11 hours ago, Moctezuma said:

For me the jury is still out on Gravenberch, at the moment he looks like another body who can fill in but perhaps doesn't bring much else to the party. 

The club's  recruitment team and staff have done brilliantly with MacAllister, Szoboslai and Endo.

Jones and Elliott are great options, hopefully the former can stay fit and challenge for a first team space.

Clark looks a decent prospect. Unsure on McConnell, Morton and Bajetic for various reasons (ceiling and injury return), but even if one of them comes good that would be excellent.

If we can swap Thiago's significant wages onto an excellent defensive midfielder we should have near on the most competitive midfield in the league next year (injuries permitting).

I think it could be a couple of seasons before we really see if grav can make it. I have to keep reminding myself he's only 21. If we had a kid of our own break through at his age and contributed what he has this season, we'd be really excited. Instead, he's been quite frustrating at times, but I think it's partly because he has been talked about for years and cost us 30-odd million. 

• Upvote 1

On the assumption it's Amorim coming in (and with his go to tactic) we seem 1 light on the defensive side of the double pivot and perhaps 1 heavy on the more progressive side but as said elsewhere that depends on how the new manager see's some players roles that may differ to what they are now.

I'd still like a young proper defensive mid (or more accurately a dominant player who's focus is on defensive action first) to backup/eventually replace Endo and balance it out a bit, a young Palhinha/Ugarte.

Agree about Gravenberch, bit too early to make judgement on him yet.

Mac Allister is looking like a steal at £35M, in his right position he’s got to be one of the best players in the league, but, personally, I’ve been most impressed with Endo and the way he’s quietly gone about his work and allowed others to flourish.

Reminds me a little of Gini and the effect he had.

All in all, much better than last season, as results have shown.

On 05/04/2024 at 00:49, an tha said:

16 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Maybe. I don't really want to think too much about him. Players who lose a year of the career at his age, it can have a devastating effect.  

Hopefully he’s got a foundation to build on like Elliott (ankle) and, going further back, Gomez (ACL) seemed to have after they broke through.

3 hours ago, kemskem said:

Hopefully he’s got a foundation to build on like Elliott (ankle) and, going further back, Gomez (ACL) seemed to have after they broke through.

Hopefully. The big difference though is Gomez and Elliot had a season in the championship before they got hit with their injuries and they both missed far less football that bajcetic has. I hope you're right, but it's why I can't even consider him as part of our squad. He's just a massive bonus if he comes through. 

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hopefully. The big difference though is Gomez and Elliot had a season in the championship before they got hit with their injuries and they both missed far less football that bajcetic has. I hope you're right, but it's why I can't even consider him as part of our squad. He's just a massive bonus if he comes through. 

Fair point. He showed maturity though so hopefully he’ll be all right.