You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

8 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

If refs are going to allow more physicality then our midfield aren't prepared for that.  That was why Milner looked so good yesterday, he is hewn from stone. 

I think it changes the idea that our biggest midfield problem is a quality deficit, I think it's now a physicality deficit, and Bellingham ticks both those boxes.

I think we may see a bit more of Bajetic and Milner than we thought. 

Yes he does. My fear is that at the rate it is going we are building up Bellingham to be prime Souness and he will only be 19;

I agree on the physicality though. At times though I don't think we even need a player to be that great technically, we have plenty of technical players, what we need is raw physicality and presence. He gives us real presence and gives it to the others that can really play. If he can do both then wonderful. 

49 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Apart from Echo trying to fill pages and gain clicks by constantly linking us with Bellingham, is there anything else to say we are actually interested in him or him interested in us? 

No, we can't even afford his younger brother.

4 hours ago, HBenn said:

Yes he does. My fear is that at the rate it is going we are building up Bellingham to be prime Souness and he will only be 19;

I agree on the physicality though. At times though I don't think we even need a player to be that great technically, we have plenty of technical players, what we need is raw physicality and presence. He gives us real presence and gives it to the others that can really play. If he can do both then wonderful. 

The idea that you can be a midfielder in this league with raw physicality and precense and no skills is currently being tested at a PL club. I think they call it the McTominay experiment.

• Upvote 1

If that was going to happen then surely we would have done a pre contract and got him on a free this summer. 

I know Inter need money but seems a weird deal, so does us signing a soon to be 30 year old midfielder to sort out our ageing midfield. On a free it would make sense, 10ml and Nabby yeah i guess. But im going with normal utter tripe from the Italian press

I think we saw against Fulham how we will miss Mane. Mo was marked out of most of the game whereas usually it would be impossible to do that to both him and Mane. Mane would also get and carry the ball,at pace and with skill,from our box towards the opposition's area. Diaz is not yet adept at doing this and contributes little defensively therefore our defence and midfield dont have an out ball if Mo is being tightly marked. Arguably Nunez is that second option too. It will take some adapting to a new tweak and a couple of newer personnel.

See we are tenuously being linked with Nunes again. Not seen enough of him to know whether he would answer some of our issues.

Mentioned in the Barca thread that it will be interesting to see what happens with Gavi at Barca. If he doesn't sign his new deal over the next few days surely could be worth a cheeky bid. 

The club talk about being open to opportune deals, that could be one to test the water, unless the player is making it clear he isn't interested. 

3 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Here's an odd suggestion

Could Bobby play centre mid?

He's a decent tackler, always has been. Good range of passing, and excellent in tight spaces.... 

He might have a good range of passing, but he does not have the accuracy. Gives it away so often.

34 minutes ago, HBenn said:

See we are tenuously being linked with Nunes again. Not seen enough of him to know whether he would answer some of our issues.

Mentioned in the Barca thread that it will be interesting to see what happens with Gavi at Barca. If he doesn't sign his new deal over the next few days surely could be worth a cheeky bid. 

The club talk about being open to opportune deals, that could be one to test the water, unless the player is making it clear he isn't interested. 

He tackles, he fast, he ticks the box.

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think we saw against Fulham how we will miss Mane. Mo was marked out of most of the game whereas usually it would be impossible to do that to both him and Mane. Mane would also get and carry the ball,at pace and with skill,from our box towards the opposition's area. Diaz is not yet adept at doing this and contributes little defensively therefore our defence and midfield dont have an out ball if Mo is being tightly marked. Arguably Nunez is that second option too. It will take some adapting to a new tweak and a couple of newer personnel.

IMO If Nunez starts I can see Mo getting plenty of opportunities. With Bobby playing we really don’t give the cb’s too much to worry about and so they can tighten up on Mo. Nunez frees up Diaz and Mo. We desperately need a strong fast fielder who can contribute 6 to 10 goals.

5 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Here's an odd suggestion

He's a decent tackler, always has been. Good range of passing, and excellent in tight spaces.... 

If you mean good passing as in passes to the oppsotition constantly and excellent in tight spaces as in he constantly loses the ball in those spaces then yeah.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Supposedlt Neil Jones is saying the club that they have caught Thiago's injury early enough that he will out for a few weeks and not more than that 

That would be great news but when a player goes down like that in his own, hopefully they will still make a move. I hope it's not spin to avoid having to act.

13 minutes ago, HBenn said:

Supposedlt Neil Jones is saying the club that they have caught Thiago's injury early enough that he will out for a few weeks and not more than that 

That would be great news but when a player goes down like that in his own, hopefully they will still make a move. I hope it's not spin to avoid having to act.

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, etc. 

Seen this one before numerous times. Klopp will say Thiago should be back in a couple of weeks. In a couple of weeks, he’ll be asked about Thiago and say “still a couple of weeks more”. He’s done it so many times. 

That’s where I have an issue with Klopp. Because I do believe he covers for the owners with shit like that. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchEyeGlass said:

Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, etc. 

Seen this one before numerous times. Klopp will say Thiago should be back in a couple of weeks. In a couple of weeks, he’ll be asked about Thiago and say “still a couple of weeks more”. He’s done it so many times. 

That’s where I have an issue with Klopp. Because I do believe he covers for the owners with shit like that. 

Klopp has also said numerous times that "I have not heard anything different from medical guys so I am assuming player <a> is ok/not ok to train". 

Which tells me clearly that the coaches listen to the medics, which is the way it should be. If the medics say "2 weeks" then there is no other reason for Klopp to think otherwise. Especially when Klopp is a naturally positive person anyway.

6 hours ago, chrisbonnie said:

Here's an odd suggestion

my gawd?  What version of Firmino are you talking about?  The version that hasn't existed for 4 years?  

I've got a fantastic range of inaccurate passing as well, and every space I get into is a tight one these days.  Firmino is a busted flush.  If he's the heartbeat, we need a stent urgently.