You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our midfield

Mil-ing Around

Do people think it's the next part of the pitch we need to upgrade in the summer?

We have no legs in there anymore in my opinion. Fabinho is slow, Henderson is starting to look like he has many miles in his legs, Kieta runs in toffee and milner worrys me everytime we put him in there, he just has no composure. Thiago, for all his qualities, is pretty slow too. Curtis, 100 touches, Jones I'm still not convinced he'll be good enough.

I think this is why we look wide open sometimes, we can't press as quickly anymore, and teams can get through us much easier.

Also, we don't have anybody apart from Thiago who can actually receive the ball under pressure and pass it forwards. The rest of them seem so tired or slow that they don't even get into space to receive it from our defence or keeper. 

Get rid of Milner, Kieta and OX and bring in two young energetic midfielders. The more I see if Bissouma the more I think he'd be perfect for us. I think it's the next part of the transition we need to make. If we do this in the summer we will be a force for the next 5 years.

Milners too old, Henderson takes his position. Ox, keita, thiago unreliable fitness availability and nobody who can really step up and do Fabinhos job. I couldn't really name options though as I don't watch enough football. We don't have problems in midfield but its probably the part of the side that can be improved upon more than the rest. Id expect two midfielders in the summer. If the world hasn't gone insane.

Yes, it's the obvious area to upgrade. The rest of the side is realistically set, unless Salah goes. 

As far as the players go; 

Fabinho, Thiago and Henderson will remain the main men. Then you have Elliott and Jones who will probably be given time to develop. Milner it seems will stay as a player that Klopp can bring on as a sub to close out games. At least, that's what he clearly wants. 

The question marks are Keita and Chamberlain, plus if we sign Fabio Carvalho, he could also play in midfield. 

A decision has to be made on both Keita and Chamberlain because their deals end in 2023. Realistically, we can't predict what will happen because both might be unflushable, but I'd like us to replace Keita with a 40-50m signing and Chamberlain with Carvalho. That would be sensible. 

Fabinho is absolutely fine. Milner is one of the most composed players on the planet let alone the squad, problem is he’s too old now. I’d still keep him one more year because of his versatility and presence around the squad. People like Elliot and Jones can learn a lot from him. I’d give anything for Thiago not to be made of tracing paper.

We do need to sign a top CM though. Touchameni or maybe even try and get someone like Kimmich or Valverde 

The only thing that might go in Ox's favour is his homegrown status.

I want a tireless, relentless, aggressive, solid player who lives to win the ball. The next Kante, or the modern version of 05/06 Momo Sissoko.

Only better at passing. And quicker.

I have no idea if this player exists.

• Upvote 2

2005 Gerrard and 2019 Firmino and we’re sorted as long as salah extends. Spoilt for choice in goalkeeping, defence and wide areas. CF who could play back to goal and world class midfielder who scores and runs and that’s unbeatable. Would be interesting if Diaz end up more central

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

The only thing that might go in Ox's favour is his homegrown status.

I want a tireless, relentless, aggressive, solid player who lives to win the ball. The next Kante, or the modern version of 05/06 Momo Sissoko.

Only better at passing. And quicker.

I have no idea if this player exists.

OX is gone imo unless he has a stunning run in to the season. He just takes too long to get up to speed after every lay-off and this time I'm doubtful whether he will ever get back to where he was at his peak. Keita is the other one that has to have a very strong finish to the season. He has been better the last couple of games but not enough for me to want him next season. If we sold these two, brought in the Fulham lad and signed Thiago's much younger .more talented , superfit kid brother I would be delighted

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Ward-Prowse would be an ideal replacement for Hendo as the right sided centre midfielder, with his ability to deliver - great cross. I like Hendo, but in our setup he often finds himself outwide on the right and his delivery from can be erratic. 

You couldn’t pick your nose.

• Upvote 1

I don't think our midfield is weak like some posters make out. Henderson is still serviceable. Keita is useful when we're playing a low block. Milner always gives 100% and never lets us down. Ox is the one that needs to go. I'd also sell Curtis Jones myself but that may be an unpopular opinion. 

Carvalho looks like he's a shoo-in for the summer. I have a feeling we'll try and bring Darwin Nunez in as well, possibly for Firmino. Or we could use that money to bring in Touchameni. I don't think wholesale changes are needed. I'm really liking Fab, Thiago and Elliot.

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Ward-Prowse would be an ideal replacement for Hendo as the right sided centre midfielder, with his ability to deliver - great cross. I like Hendo, but in our setup he often finds himself outwide on the right and his delivery from can be erratic. 

What is it about shit English players you like.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Chris said:

Nothing like a debate about how lacklustre the midfield is, THE DAY AFTER it outlasted and outplayed (overall) one of the best midfields in world football, after losing one of the world's best players in the warm up.

Even if you rate the midfield, the issue is that Milner is out of contract and Ox and Keita are as well in a year. So, it makes sense to talk about some turnover.

52 minutes ago, Chris said:

Nothing like a debate about how lacklustre the midfield is, THE DAY AFTER it outlasted and outplayed (overall) one of the best midfields in world football, after losing one of the world's best players in the warm up.

It didn't outplay their midfield though. Let's be honest, they missed some absolute sitters and then would my original post have more relevance?

I'm not here slating the team and trying to take away from yesterday's achievement. I was absolutely overjoyed and I'm still buzzing. 

But, we have the best goalkeeper in the world, Best centre back, right back and arguably one of the best left backs around. Our attack is up there with anyone's on the planet. But we aren't controlling games like we used to 2/3 years ago when we had a younger Henderson, Gini's energy and fresher fabinho. We would absolutely suffocate teams with power, strength and energy from the middle of the park.

I'm not just talking about yesterday's game here, many of our games are end to end this season (and last). We get countered much more easily these days. It's definitely an area of the pitch we need legs and energy in. Teams get out far easier against us and the ball often ends up in our final third way more than it used to, causing everyone to run more. 

I agree fabinho is a beast, I love him, but he does need help in there. Calls for a momo type player i agree with. I think Bissouma is that player. He's also great on the ball in tight spaces. Sadly he's also trying to finger girls in the toilet so maybe it's a no go.

I'd love Bellingham but we aren't paying £80 million for a 19 year old. I just hope we buy two midfielders in the summer. But, if Kieta and Ox both have another year that's probably not going to happen 

Fuck Ward-Prowse aswell fucking hell aRdja, you must be really shit at fantasy football

2 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

It didn't outplay their midfield though. Let's be honest, they missed some absolute sitters and then would my original post have more relevance?

I'm not here slating the team and trying to take away from yesterday's achievement. I was absolutely overjoyed and I'm still buzzing. 

But, we have the best goalkeeper in the world, Best centre back, right back and arguably one of the best left backs around. Our attack is up there with anyone's on the planet. But we aren't controlling games like we used to 2/3 years ago when we had a younger Henderson, Gini's energy and fresher fabinho. We would absolutely suffocate teams with power, strength and energy from the middle of the park.

I'm not just talking about yesterday's game here, many of our games are end to end this season (and last). We get countered much more easily these days. It's definitely an area of the pitch we need legs and energy in. Teams get out far easier against us and the ball often ends up in our final third way more than it used to, causing everyone to run more. 

I agree fabinho is a beast, I love him, but he does need help in there. Calls for a momo type player i agree with. I think Bissouma is that player. He's also great on the ball in tight spaces. Sadly he's also trying to finger girls in the toilet so maybe it's a no go.

I'd love Bellingham but we aren't paying £80 million for a 19 year old. I just hope we buy two midfielders in the summer. But, if Kieta and Ox both have another year that's probably not going to happen 

Fuck Ward-Prowse aswell fucking hell aRdja, you must be really shit at fantasy football

You're right they did miss sitters, but our lads controlled that part of the field for the vast majority of that 120 minutes. We were in the ascendency for most of it, admittedly while looking more vulnerable to their attacks. 

You could splice this thread anywhere into the forum over the past twelve years.

As soon as the Mascherano, Gerrard and Alonso triumvirate was broken up, everyone started shitting themselves about midfield.  But we've had some very good players in midfield since then, and done alright, with the trophies to show for it.  I don't get the obsession with it.

Other teams have good midfielders, too. You're never going to dominate every game and to expect to is unrealistic. 

Even if you have the world's best midfield, all it takes is a grock up front and the other team can bypass it, feed off the knock downs and second balls and cause problems that way.

What we have right now is fine.

But whatever, sell a few scapegoats and then you can all moan like wankers about their replacements three minutes into every match thread.  

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

You could splice this thread anywhere into the forum over the past twelve years.

As soon as the Mascherano, Gerrard and Alonso triumvirate was broken up, everyone started shitting themselves about midfield.  But we've had some very good players in midfield since then, and done alright, with the trophies to show for it.  I don't get the obsession with it.

Other teams have good midfielders, too. You're never going to dominate every game and to expect to is unrealistic. 

Even if you have the world's best midfield, all it takes is a grock up front and the other team can bypass it, feed off the knock downs and second balls and cause problems that way.

What we have right now is fine.

But whatever, sell a few scapegoats and then you can all moan like wankers about their replacements three minutes into every match thread.  

It depends how you look at it. Is the midfield very good, relatively? Yes, of course. It's not a "problem" if our best ones are fit. But it's also the easiest part of the team to improve. 

We couldn't do anything to improve any other position group, except maybe very marginally. The midfield has more tangible room for improvement.