You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ukrainian refugee donations and collections

Remmie

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Wow. I bet you hate Putin more than anyone else on the forum. 

I haven't seen him post anything about beans on a breakfast yet, so he's not even in the conversation yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Remmie said:

Red Cross have been absolute twats, shaking Putin's hand, agreeing the humanitarian corridor to go only to Russia and trousering a significant wedge of proceeds to the cause. 

We've decided to spend the proceeds of our funds on a number of fronts, including medical aid Ukraine: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/medicalaidukraine?fbclid=IwAR35H0i9yIsBiBpyQbBYZRWpzHBgdg1pJuAPcJQV7Xbv3kUc2aOe_3lvBaw and Neko's pet link above. 

Our house of 4 of us plus our Neko (cat) is about to double it's human population. My mother in law will hopefully cross the Polish border tomorrow and fly here on Thursday. 

My wife's other best friend Dasha in Lviv is doing the paperwork for us to sponsor her. She has a 6 year old boy and is.... 7 months pregnant!

No more working from home for me. 

This is heartbreaking, Rem. Wishing you all the very best

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Red Cross have been absolute twats, shaking Putin's hand, agreeing the humanitarian corridor to go only to Russia and trousering a significant wedge of proceeds to the cause. 

We've decided to spend the proceeds of our funds on a number of fronts, including medical aid Ukraine: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/medicalaidukraine?fbclid=IwAR35H0i9yIsBiBpyQbBYZRWpzHBgdg1pJuAPcJQV7Xbv3kUc2aOe_3lvBaw and Neko's pet link above. 

Our house of 4 of us plus our Neko (cat) is about to double it's human population. My mother in law will hopefully cross the Polish border tomorrow and fly here on Thursday. 

My wife's other best friend Dasha in Lviv is doing the paperwork for us to sponsor her. She has a 6 year old boy and is.... 7 months pregnant!

No more working from home for me. 

Huge respect mate.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I had my accommodation inspection yesterday, I think the inspection guy gave me covid! We will be taking my wife's best friend Dasha and her son. She is also due to have a baby next month. Crazy times. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Edward. said:

Zoom meeting done. Very emotional, DBS done,  accommodation needs to be checked but it’s an Airbnb so should be fine waiting on visas. 

I didn't have gas and electricity certificates, plus my back door can only be opened with a key. The inspector guy didn't seem too concerned 

6 minutes ago, Remmie said:

I didn't have gas and electricity certificates, plus my back door can only be opened with a key. The inspector guy didn't seem too concerned 

The area they will hopefully live in is an annexe to our house so if everything goes to plan they will be living there, we spoke to them and they are very keen. We are incredibly emotional about the whole thing, fingers crossed.

• Upvote 3

We got the confirmation of visas for Dasha and her son today, seems apt on the day her city Lviv got hit. Unfortunately Dasha is too far gone with her pregnancy to fly so she wants to stay. My wife is trying to persuade her to travel by train or car but she is struggling to move from 1 room to another. These things are not easy. Really heartbreaking stuff. 

It's fucking pathetic that we haven't moved on as a species with wars. Genocide in Europe seems too surreal yet here we are. Not that it's acceptable anywhere to be fair. 

7 hours ago, Remmie said:

It's fucking pathetic that we haven't moved on as a species with wars

Amen to that fella. People I meet from around the world generally want to be nice and help people. If only politicians could think the same way.

Very worrying time to be pregnant. Hope everything works out fine.

10 hours ago, Remmie said:

We got the confirmation of visas for Dasha and her son today, seems apt on the day her city Lviv got hit. Unfortunately Dasha is too far gone with her pregnancy to fly so she wants to stay. My wife is trying to persuade her to travel by train or car but she is struggling to move from 1 room to another. These things are not easy. Really heartbreaking stuff. 

It's fucking pathetic that we haven't moved on as a species with wars. Genocide in Europe seems too surreal yet here we are. Not that it's acceptable anywhere to be fair. 

How long did you have to wait from application? Apparently the Mother needs permission from the Father to take her child out of the country now too. 

12 hours ago, Edward. said:

How long did you have to wait from application? Apparently the Mother needs permission from the Father to take her child out of the country now too. 

Dasha applied so not 100% but maybe 3 weeks. It was 1 week after the house inspection though

• 2 weeks later...

Dealt with my first Ukranian yesterday... she seemed happy to be here.

A local church have set up English lessons run by retired teachers and ex pat Ukranians... seems like the local community are being very supportive 

Lovely to see

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic