You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

John Toshack

dockers_strike

17 hours ago, gkmacca said:

He rhymed 'Barcelona' with 'sauna'. I will never forget that. Au-bloody-dacious. He also used 'smite' in a poem about a UEFA Cup semi-final. And why not - he was great in the other one. Get well soon, maestro.

Cracking goal he scored in that game, right in the bottom corner, Joey Jones then played a game of frisby with the Barcelona fans,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, gkmacca said:

He rhymed 'Barcelona' with 'sauna'. I will never forget that. Au-bloody-dacious. He also used 'smite' in a poem about a UEFA Cup semi-final. And why not - he was great in the other one. Get well soon, maestro.

When he was managing in Spain, he had a reputation for weird use of language, because he would translate phrases like"over the moon" or "sick as a parrot" word for word, instead of using the Spanish equivalent.

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Just seen this on the BBC Liverpool page. Apparently, Tosh is on the mend from his bout with covid!

Former Wales manager John Toshack is "on the mend" after being seriously ill with Covid-19 and pneumonia earlier this year.

The 73-year-old was hospitalised in Spain in February but came out of intensive care in March.

Toshack's son Cameron, Leeds United's assistant head coach, says his father's health is improving.

"He is on good form and he is making a recovery, which I am pleased to share with you," Cameron said.

"I speak to him regularly now. The most pleasing thing is he is on the mend and his health is a lot better.

"I am hoping to see him maybe not in the international break, but certainly when the World Cup comes around. I am hoping to either go out to Barcelona or have him back in Wales."

Toshack senior, who managed the likes of Real Madrid, Real Sociedad and Swansea City, spent time on a ventilator, with his condition at the time described as being very serious.

But Cameron Toshack says the former Liverpool striker has been well enough to give him tactical advice ahead of Leeds' Premier League game against Chelsea on Sunday.

"I spoke to him yesterday and he gave me a tutorial about playing against a back three, particularly with the likes of [Thiago] Silva, [Kalidou] Koulibaly and [Cesar] Azpilicueta, which made me smile," he told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

Cameron joined Leeds' staff in early March, shortly after Jesse Marsch was named head coach at Elland Road.

It was at that time that his father was seriously ill.

Cameron Toshack and Jesse Marsch
Cameron Toshack (left) joined Jesse Marsch (right) at Leeds having got to know him during the American's time coaching in the MLS

"The timing of everything wasn't ideal," Cameron added.

"At that time, the first two weeks of coming into Leeds United, in what was a challenging situation - a new job in the most competitive and biggest league in the world - there were a few decisions I had to make.

"I was going to go over and visit him at the time but I was assured he was in safe hands.

"When he went onto the ventilator, clearly it wouldn't have made too much difference whether I was there or not.

"I said to the people at the time, if I had gone and sat next to him in the bed and had the opportunity to be coaching in the Premier League, he wouldn't have been very pleased if I was sat next to him.

"Even though it was difficult, I spoke to a number of people close to me and they said that's what he would have wanted you to do, so that's what I did and fortunately he came through that battle with Covid and pneumonia which obviously rocked him a little bit."

The Liverpool legend scored 13 times in 40 games for Wales before twice becoming national team boss, in 1994 and from 2004 to 2010.

In all he has taken charge of more than a dozen clubs around the world and famously led Swansea from the old Division Four to the First Division in his first managerial post.

His most recent job was as manager of Persian Gulf Pro League side Tractor, which he left in September 2018 after just three months in charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62612247

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just seen this on the BBC Liverpool page. Apparently, Tosh is on the mend from his bout with covid!

Former Wales manager John Toshack is "on the mend" after being seriously ill with Covid-19 and pneumonia earlier this year.

The 73-year-old was hospitalised in Spain in February but came out of intensive care in March.

Toshack's son Cameron, Leeds United's assistant head coach, says his father's health is improving.

"He is on good form and he is making a recovery, which I am pleased to share with you," Cameron said.

"I speak to him regularly now. The most pleasing thing is he is on the mend and his health is a lot better.

"I am hoping to see him maybe not in the international break, but certainly when the World Cup comes around. I am hoping to either go out to Barcelona or have him back in Wales."

Toshack senior, who managed the likes of Real Madrid, Real Sociedad and Swansea City, spent time on a ventilator, with his condition at the time described as being very serious.

But Cameron Toshack says the former Liverpool striker has been well enough to give him tactical advice ahead of Leeds' Premier League game against Chelsea on Sunday.

"I spoke to him yesterday and he gave me a tutorial about playing against a back three, particularly with the likes of [Thiago] Silva, [Kalidou] Koulibaly and [Cesar] Azpilicueta, which made me smile," he told BBC Radio Wales Sport.

Cameron joined Leeds' staff in early March, shortly after Jesse Marsch was named head coach at Elland Road.

It was at that time that his father was seriously ill.

Cameron Toshack and Jesse Marsch Cameron Toshack (left) joined Jesse Marsch (right) at Leeds having got to know him during the American's time coaching in the MLS

"The timing of everything wasn't ideal," Cameron added.

"At that time, the first two weeks of coming into Leeds United, in what was a challenging situation - a new job in the most competitive and biggest league in the world - there were a few decisions I had to make.

"I was going to go over and visit him at the time but I was assured he was in safe hands.

"When he went onto the ventilator, clearly it wouldn't have made too much difference whether I was there or not.

"I said to the people at the time, if I had gone and sat next to him in the bed and had the opportunity to be coaching in the Premier League, he wouldn't have been very pleased if I was sat next to him.

"Even though it was difficult, I spoke to a number of people close to me and they said that's what he would have wanted you to do, so that's what I did and fortunately he came through that battle with Covid and pneumonia which obviously rocked him a little bit."

The Liverpool legend scored 13 times in 40 games for Wales before twice becoming national team boss, in 1994 and from 2004 to 2010.

In all he has taken charge of more than a dozen clubs around the world and famously led Swansea from the old Division Four to the First Division in his first managerial post.

His most recent job was as manager of Persian Gulf Pro League side Tractor, which he left in September 2018 after just three months in charge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62612247

Phew! Glad he's getting better.

Must have been some sage advice to his lad as Leeds won 3-0.

• Upvote 1

Loved Toshack. My heyday going the match began late era Toshack and I remember a game against, I think, Coventry, when, messi like, he jinked past 3 or 4 defenders and everyone was laughing at how ridiculous it was (he wasn’t known for silky skills) and when he ballooned his pass a big roar of delight went up. It helped that he was always scoring like. Stevie Highway’s always running, John Toshack is always scoring… I’d have loved him to manage us. 

21 minutes ago, bossy said:

Loved Toshack. My heyday going the match began late era Toshack and I remember a game against, I think, Coventry, when, messi like, he jinked past 3 or 4 defenders and everyone was laughing at how ridiculous it was (he wasn’t known for silky skills) and when he ballooned his pass a big roar of delight went up. It helped that he was always scoring like. Stevie Highway’s always running, John Toshack is always scoring… I’d have loved him to manage us. 

Stevie Heighways always running, 

John Toshack is always scoring,

Then you’ll hear the kopites roaring,

Toshack is our king. 
sung to Men of Harlech. Welsh tune for a Welsh legend. Clever cunts them kopites. 
i fucking loved Toshack. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

He was approached about the job after Bob's first season, I think or maybe later on when Bob didnt win anything one year? But Tosh turned the job down and the chance had gone.

Bob paisley? The only season he didn't win anything was his first year wasn't it and we still finished 2nd and toshak was still at the club as a player. After that we were English or European champions every season and sometimes both until Bob retired. 

The only time I thought he was close to the job was when both souness and Evans got it. I think Wales maybe got in the way of one of them. 

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Bob paisley? The only season he didn't win anything was his first year wasn't it and we still finished 2nd and toshak was still at the club as a player. After that we were English or European champions every season and sometimes both until Bob retired. 

The only time I thought he was close to the job was when both souness and Evans got it. I think Wales maybe got in the way of one of them. 

Yeah I think when kenny went we approached him but he had given his word to sociadad,I think?

33 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

My bad in part. It was when John Smith and Peter Robinson thought Bob was ready to step down.

Anfield icon John Toshack managed Real Madrid - twice, Wales twice - and Real Sociedad three times.

He was twice offered the opportunity to take his dream job at Liverpool Football Club, too - but on both occasions the post failed to materialise.

Toshack tells of the near-misses in his newly published autobiography "Toshack's Way" (*De Coubertin Books, £20).

The first offer came in March 1982, when it was felt that Bob Paisley was ready to step down a full season before he eventually did

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-john-toshack-nearly-become-15434227

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, corro said:

Stevie Heighways always running, 

John Toshack is always scoring,

Then you’ll hear the kopites roaring,

Toshack is our king. 
sung to Men of Harlech. Welsh tune for a Welsh legend. Clever cunts them kopites. 
i fucking loved Toshack. 

Men of Anfield, hear our story

We have gone from great to glory

Now we are the Kings of Europe

Toshack is our King

• Upvote 2

On 25/08/2022 at 21:33, Harry's Lad said:

There's a documentary about the great man on Prime. Unsurprisingly called Tosh, it's free for Prime members.

Looks pretty good.

Just watching this now.

I love the bit where the team - the whole squad, with just two exceptions - went out drinking after a match and ended up getting booked for drinking after hours. So Tosh fined the two who weren't there, because they should have all stuck together.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...