You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China v Taiwan

Bjornebye

On 03/08/2022 at 07:30, TheHowieLama said:

She left?

And nothing happened?

Russians actually have a saying that translates as "final Chinese warning" that basically means "ridiculously obvious bluff."

It goes back to the 50s and 60s when Mao would come out with outrageous bluster any time anyone in the West mentioned Taiwan in any way at all, threatening nuclear holocaust and the like. After a while, it becomes very "boy who cried wolf" and they just look silly.

11 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

She is in Korea now.

They seemed to have missed their targets by a little as a few landed in Japanese zone. Unless they are practicing for when Pelosi stops in Japan later.

I doubt that was accidental. 

Must have been over 20 years ago the aerospace company i worked at announced redundancies telling us parts would be made in China and all places east. Managers boasted how workers took their families to work with them, very little PPE was worn, the better your job the further away from the factory you lived.

At the time I asked, "and the company thinks that's progress?" I also said the more work you give to the east the more strength they get when eventually they will say, "we have the capabilities to take any nation on in war"

Didn't go down too well. I'm not a prophet but fuck me anyone could see what could happen.

But it was all about the dollar man.

1 hour ago, DalyanPete said:

Must have been over 20 years ago the aerospace company i worked at announced redundancies telling us parts would be made in China and all places east. Managers boasted how workers took their families to work with them, very little PPE was worn, the better your job the further away from the factory you lived.

At the time I asked, "and the company thinks that's progress?" I also said the more work you give to the east the more strength they get when eventually they will say, "we have the capabilities to take any nation on in war"

Didn't go down too well. I'm not a prophet but fuck me anyone could see what could happen.

But it was all about the dollar man.

Ultimately, the transfer of manufacturing to the Far East was driven by the Western consumer. All Western countries had, and still have, the ability to make tee shirts, training shoes and electronic products, but given the choice of paying (say) $200 for a pair of trainers made in England vs $50 for the same item made in China, what is the average consumer going to do ?  Some governments tried to stem the tide with tariffs and subsidies for local manufacturing, but it was a losing battle, and no government would risk its future by imposing an outright ban on the import of these products.  The West has imposed limits on the transfer of sensitive technologies, but the import of all manner of products from the Far East has been a growing trend since the 1960s, which in turn has led to increased commercial strength, and now military power, in the exporting nations.   

From Guardian updates :

China has halted ties with the US on a range of critical issues, from talks on the climate crisis to dialogue between their militaries, following the visit to Taiwan by the US House speaker, Nancy Pelosi.

The announcement of the counter-measures came as Beijing conducted military drills surrounding the island of Taiwan. Earlier, China announced sanctions against Pelosi and her direct family members. Beijing called Pelosi’s visit “vicious and provocative actions”.

The cancelled interactions ranged from climate talks, to dialogues between the leaders of Chinese and US military theatres, to the working meeting of Chinese and US defence ministries and consultation mechanism on maritime military safety between the countries.

Tensions are running high in the Taiwan strait. The military drills have forced a number of vessels to reroute their journeys, causing disruptions to regional – and global – economies. On average, 240 commercial ships have passed through the maritime zones each day over the past week, according to Lloyd’s List Intelligence data.

Earlier, the US condemned China’s launch of ballistic missiles around Taiwan during live-fire exercises as an “overreaction”, as a number of Chinese ships and planes again crossed the median line.

China halts ties with US on range of critical issues including climate crisis

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m not convinced China we’re really that on-board with making positive steps towards helping climate change anyway. 

No fuckin way are they going to go green . A few years back I flew up to visit a mine in Zambia up near the border with DRC. They had stripped  the country bare and then when it was done just fucked off to another African country. 

40 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

No fuckin way are they going to go green . A few years back I flew up to visit a mine in Zambia up near the border with DRC. They had stripped  the country bare and then when it was done just fucked off to another African country. 

Exactly. Horrible cunts. 

The scrans boss though so it evens out 

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I’m not convinced China we’re really that on-board with making positive steps towards helping climate change anyway. 

They are the way down road in terms of manufacturing and designing renewable energy equipment. Without their input we're fucked.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

They are the way down road in terms of manufacturing and designing renewable energy equipment. Without their input we're fucked.

True but it’s all for sale overseas. They are one of the biggest buyers of coal for energy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/08/2022 at 16:35, No2 said:

Upwards of 95% of solar panels in the world are estimated to have at least some input from Uyghur forced labour.