You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China v Taiwan

Bjornebye

51 minutes ago, Waitak said:

I really don't know anything about the conditions specified by those in favour of re-unification.  In the 30 years since the advent of democracy in Taiwan, there has been a number of changes of government between those in favour of independence and those in favour of re-unification, and the majority either way is normally slim.  If the re-unification party has any illusions about imposing conditions on China, they only need to look at Hong Kong. 

From 1949 until the late 1980s when the Chiang dynasty ended, Taiwan was officially at war with China.  The Taiwanese government (KMT) position for those 40 years was that they were going to invade China and retake control of the country as the "rightful" government, which constitutes their claim. The fact remains that the Communists and Nationalists fought a civil war from the early 1930s to 1949, and the Nationalists lost. Despite spending massively on their armed forces, it was never likely that Taiwan would be able to invade China, and realistically the purpose of their military power was to deter China from attacking them. 

A good summation. Thanks.

I don't think the Allies had to undertake any military action specifically to evict the Japanese from Taiwan, so we can be magnanimous. In fact, I just read that the Japanese didn't officially cede sovereignty until 1952, so they certainly dragged their heels !

It's funny as fuck (in a grim way) the way the West deals with China.

We basically built the fucking thing in the last 20 years. Our universities trained a whole generation of their best technologists for pimp money, you can't walk around Liverpool without walking into a university dean with a begging bowl dressed as a fucking pagoda. We built their middle class. 

We outsourced manufacturing to them and built their working class. The place became an economic powerhouse, decided it now had enough clout to call shots in its own backyard and now it's, erm, a problem.

Reminds me of when the Royal Navy used to send its supposed best and brightest to train the Japanese how to drop torpedoes at sea. 

"So tell me again Admiral Cuntbatten, if one were to try and invade Singapore - purely in theory of course - how would one go about it. More gin?"  

• Upvote 1

I've considered invading China myself a few times over the years. Fucking empty head students just getting in every cunts way standing round thick as fuck with zero awareness of anyone else trying to get anywhere. Urgency lacking, vacant bastards. Their phone batteries never seem to run out either. 

Just now, Anubis said:

If it comes to war, do we risk China activating their sleeper agents who will add slow acting poison to our chips, curry and rice?

Aren’t the vast majority of first/second wave Chinese in the UK Cantonese and from Hong Kong?

They’d take up their meat cleavers in support, Shirley?

1 hour ago, No2 said:

A quick glance at a map would suggest China could take Taiwan fairly handily. Which begs the question do they really want it or are they just using it to test the size of America's mickey? 

If it did kick off and the US got involved then the American navy would cut off the Taiwan Strait and its airforce would decimate Chinese airpower. It would be a very costly invasion, with no guarantee they'd win. 

4 minutes ago, M_B said:

If it did kick off and the US got involved then the American navy would cut off the Taiwan Strait and its airforce would decimate Chinese airpower. It would be a very costly invasion, with no guarantee they'd win. 

It'd be interesting to see what the Chinese have got under their sleeve though, quantum computing, hacking and all that bollocks.

I read a thing once that the Chinese were working on a quantum system that would render all security codes instantly defunct.

The us air force reckons it still doesn't know how the Chinese launched a hypersonic missile.

You do get the feeling with the Chinese that, technically, Sauron is gathering his forces.

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

I'll be honest, I'm shocked to see him take China's side against the USA.

I thought I'd get this as soon as I started posting in here. I'm not interested in taking the side of the Chinese gov, more hoping that they don't attack Taiwan. Pelosi being there now might be seen as a show of support by many but I think it's just as likely to aggravate the situation and make China more likely to think about invading.

51 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I thought I'd get this as soon as I started posting in here. I'm not interested in taking the side of the Chinese gov, more hoping that they don't attack Taiwan. Pelosi being there now might be seen as a show of support by many but I think it's just as likely to aggravate the situation and make China more likely to think about invading.

China has already declared its intention to re-unify Taiwan, by force if necessary. I see Pelosi's visit as an attempt to make them think again. 

28 minutes ago, Waitak said:

China has already declared its intention to re-unify Taiwan, by force if necessary. I see Pelosi's visit as an attempt to make them think again. 

I can understand that, I suppose we just wait and see how things go from here on out.

25 minutes ago, Fugitive said:

Plane watch update for RP

1C846EFB-2B3E-4925-8504-C541F7E1E194.jpeg

Thanks, I gave up on the plane watching thing once I saw it was definitely heading towards Taiwan earlier and the site was crashing due to not being able to handle the amount of people on it.