You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

China v Taiwan

Bjornebye

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I've had this saved for a few months now (an old comment from ZeroHedge), it could be the reason it's happening and it might not mean anything bad is going on :

Google Taiwans ADIZ. Notice that it doesn't refer to Taiwan airspace but covers an area of mainland China large enough to fit 3 taiwans that includes Fuzhou, Quanzhou ... cities with populations of 8 million and the densely populated region between Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Any time a PLA fighter flies over one of the most densely populated regions of China they are "violating Taiwans ADIZ". So the US navy sailing a battle group of Aegis warships armed with tomahawk land attack cruise missiles is an expression of freedom but when the PLA put aircraft in the air over their own territory in defence it's a "brazen violation"

Congratulations to the wonks on Madison Avenue who have conditioned Americans to accept hyperbole from their leaders and media without question.

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/will-us-abandon-taiwan?commentId=d01a6a72-3a0a-40ca-b6dd-fff19227bf82

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've had this saved for a few months now (an old comment from ZeroHedge), it could be the reason it's happening and it might not mean anything bad is going on :

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/will-us-abandon-taiwan?commentId=d01a6a72-3a0a-40ca-b6dd-fff19227bf82

"I've had this saved for months...."

Hahaha, minister of anti-western propoganda; should be a fully paid post.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brownie said:

In all seriousness, how do we know he's not from some fucking troll farm in petrozavodsk or some shit? That's all part of the playbook. 

Bet he's a chelsea fan too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

In all seriousness, how do we know he's not from some fucking troll farm in petrozavodsk or some shit? That's all part of the playbook. 

Bet he's a chelsea fan too. 

I've had it saved out of laziness really so I could quickly paste and not have to try and explain it.

You can both clearly see what it shows if you check the zone despite having a dig, they can make out like China are violating some space near Taiwan when they're still flying over their own fucking country on land. In itself it can be used for 100% propaganda that only serves to deceive people and wind them up for no reason at all. If China are doing something wrong fair enough let us know, but at least make it clear that the actual zone extends right over part of China too if they're not.

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Just to point out, China has been making more aggressive noises over Taiwan recently than Putin had about Ukraine. China is also aggressively making expansionist claims over the South China Sea including international waters.

Im only surprised it kicked off over Ukraine first instead of Taiwan.

Nah. Section said simmer down so ignore it. 

5 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Geopolitics expert RP strikes again!

Surely you know I've said several times now that I'm no expert in anything. If I was a geopolitics expert I don't think I'd be copy/pasting a comment from a ZeroHedge article so I could save myself from looking it up again, remembering what the issue was and then taking longer to try and explain it.

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I assume you mean other than the Uyghur genocide. Or the Hong Kong thing.

There's absolutely no need to think that I have any interest at all in covering for China. What they do to their people is insane with the authoritarianism and the surveillance state they have, and I'll never forget what they've done to Tibet. I meant "if China are doing something wrong fair enough let us know" near Taiwan.

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

Barring us winning the league in 2020,  the 2020's have been incredibly shit so far. The world is in such a fucked up state at present. 

Wasn't it always thus though?

We've been lucky in the last 30 years or so, but when you go back you've got Nam, Korean war, Suez and all that other shit.

Social media and 24 news makes everything feel like it's on your doorstep.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Wasn't it always thus though?

We've been lucky in the last 30 years or so, but when you go back you've got Nam, Korean war, Suez and all that other shit.

Social media and 24 news makes everything feel like it's on your doorstep.

I suppose so.  I'm 48 and have seen a few wars etc in my life time but never anything like  Brexit, Trump, Johnson, Covid & now this.   I wonder how long we have left on our planet at times. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've had it saved out of laziness really so I could quickly paste and not have to try and explain it.

You can both clearly see what it shows if you check the zone despite having a dig, they can make out like China are violating some space near Taiwan when they're still flying over their own fucking country on land. In itself it can be used for 100% propaganda that only serves to deceive people and wind them up for no reason at all. If China are doing something wrong fair enough let us know, but at least make it clear that the actual zone extends right over part of China too if they're not.

"I told you so"

Narcissist gobshite.

• Downvote 1