You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

NYPD Blue

halewood pete

1 hour ago, redinblack said:

Great series. From the creators of Hill Street Blues, which was great too.

Dennis Franz was in that for a short time as a throughly dislikeable character, but then the character resurfaced in NYPD Blue were redemption of a sort waited

I went back to Hill street blues and it has aged terribly. Never go back to anything. 

11 hours ago, halewood pete said:

Been watching clips of this tonight on YouTube. Surely one of the finest,well written ,well acted series of all time .Dennis Franz as sipowitz was truly outstanding 

Yeah but you got motion sickness watching a tv episode due to the way the director wanted the camera to be shook from side to side. Thought it got even better after Caruso left and Jimmy Smidts became Sipowitz's partner.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

Yeah but you got motion sickness watching a tv episode due to the way the director wanted the camera to be shook from side to side. Thought it got even better after Caruso left and Jimmy Smidts became Sipowitz's partner.

Yeah. Caruso is not my favourite actor. I liked Smits and Franz chemistry much better.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Restarted my rewatch as it's on Disney Plus and I don't have to arse round with DVDs. On Series 6 now. The Bobby storyline - wow, still a gut punch after all these years. One of the best written, well acted storylines in modern TV. 

NYPD Blue was a great series. Got a bit silly in the last series with the main characters but wont spoil it for anyone!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

NYPD Blue was a great series. Got a bit silly in the last series with the main characters but wont spoil it for anyone!

I can't actually remember how it ends! Gay John is one of my favourite characters haha. Really enjoying the whole thing (again). Think it helps that I don't have to wait a week for an episode. 

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

By coincidence, I'm reading the creator David Milch's autobiography at the moment. It's great stuff, loads about NYPD Blue and his creative process in it.

He also created the brilliant Deadwood. He was obsessed with St Paul and wanted to do a drama series on him and brought it to HBO, but they'd already commissioned Rome (which is also great) and felt they would have been too similar given the eras, so within a day or two he decided that instead of a series about people newly worshipping a cross, they'd newly worship gold, and came up with the idea for Deadwood. I keep meaning to watch it all again. 

• Upvote 1