You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Foster: The Anfield experience is extremely special   

TLW

Ben Foster has talked about what goes through the mind of an opposition player when they walk out onto Anfield before kickoff.

The veteran goalkeeper has traveled the length and breadth of the country since his professional career started the best part of 20 years ago.

Now 38, Foster is still going strong and is currently part of the Watford squad hoping to extend their stay in top flight for a second consecutive season.

With his years of experience behind him, Foster is in a fine position to assess the Footballing landscape and discuss some of his cherished memories in the game.

And Despite spending five years on the books at Man United, it didn’t stop Foster giving glowing praise to the fans of their fiercest rivals as the Echo reported (per the Ben Foster podcast).

“I remember playing at Anfield when that comes on [You'll Never Walk Alone], you're walking out and it's on just before the game is about to start. I am in my goal, the whole stadium is singing, and I find myself singing it. It is so iconic and it's like, 'wow, this means something.

“It is beautiful, the Liverpool fans are really decent. I do love those old-school stadiums.

333616426.gallery.jpg 

Foster discussed how his teammates from other parts of Europe have handled the experience over the years.

"Do you know what makes it really special when you play away at Anfield? When you're on the coach, some of the players you get coming over from Spain and Italy see Anfield and think, 'this is beautiful and incredible'. 

“But I guarantee you when they're on the coach, arriving at the stadium and driving through the streets where the fans are just fanatical about it, it must get under their skin a little bit."

While the former England international talked about the emotional buzz of being on the road, he knows for a fact that it has not been the same for every teammate.

In fact Foster says the intimidating nature of coming up against some of the top clubs in the country has seen them sustain a injury than can only be described as a mystery.

“100 per cent. I cannot name names but, for a fact, I know that if we've got Man City on Saturday certain players would have got a little niggle.

"I would be joking with other players going, 'guaranteed he will get a niggle this week'.

He might have come off the back of a bad performance and is then playing Liverpool, Man City or Man United. I know for a fact they will get a little niggle on Wednesday or Thursday. It has happened so many times."

In a period of time in Football where nasty sentiment and vitriolic abuse seems to be ever growing, it is really nice to see this level of respect for the true origins of the Reds from someone who has been in the heat of the battle on many occasions. 

View full article

Daytripper.

1 hour ago, TLW said:

Ben Foster has talked about what goes through the mind of a opposition player when they walk out onto Anfield before kickoff.

The veteran goalkeeper has traveled the length and breadth of the country since his professional career started the best part of 20 years ago.

Now 38, Foster is still going strong and is currently part of the Watford squad hoping to extend their stay in top flight for a second consecutive season.

With his years of experience behind him, Foster is in a fine position to assess the Footballing landscape and discuss some of his cherished memories in the game.

And Despite spending five years on the books at Man United, it didn’t stop Foster giving glowing praise to the fans of their fiercest rivals as the Echo reported (per the Ben Foster podcast).

“I remember playing at Anfield when that comes on [You'll Never Walk Alone], you're walking out and it's on just before the game is about to start. I am in my goal, the whole stadium is singing, and I find myself singing it. It is so iconic and it's like, 'wow, this means something.

“It is beautiful, the Liverpool fans are really decent. I do love those old-school stadiums.

image.png

Foster discussed how his teammates from other parts of Europe have handled the experience over the years.

"Do you know what makes it really special when you play away at Anfield? When you're on the coach, some of the players you get coming over from Spain and Italy see Anfield and think, 'this is beautiful and incredible'. 

“But I guarantee you when they're on the coach, arriving at the stadium and driving through the streets where the fans are just fanatical about it, it must get under their skin a little bit."

While the former England international talked about the emotional buzz of being on the road, he knows for a fact that it has not been the same for every teammate.

In fact Foster says the intimidating nature of coming up against some of the top clubs in the country has seen them sustain a injury than can only be described as a mystery.

“100 per cent. I cannot name names but, for a fact, I know that if we've got Man City on Saturday certain players would have got a little niggle.

"I would be joking with other players going, 'guaranteed he will get a niggle this week'.

He might have come off the back of a bad performance and is then playing Liverpool, Man City or Man United. I know for a fact they will get a little niggle on Wednesday or Thursday. It has happened so many times."

In a period of time in Football where nasty sentiment and vitriolic abuse seems to be ever growing, it is really nice to see this level of respect for the true origins of the Reds from someone who has been in the heat of the battle on many occasions. 

View full article

Daytripper.