You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Leicester City 0 (Feb 10 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Had we not bagged that second goal late on I was going to describe this game as a “1-0 hammering”. We’ve played better, but there was a lot to love about this performance and the only blemish was that Leicester hadn’t been killed off much sooner. 

Other than a bit more luck and ruthlessness in front of goal there’s not really much more you can do. Leicester couldn’t get out because we just penned them in. The pressing was great and any time they were able to get by that, Joel and Virg were there to snuff out any danger.

Some of the interplay from the forwards - especially after the double substitution on the hour - was hugely exciting and bodes well for the months ahead. Jota continued his hot streak, Diaz looks like he’s been a Liverpool player his whole life and Mo came back looking like he’s about to take out his AFCON frustrations onto any opponent that crosses his path. We’re in a good way, as Jurgen likes to say.

I was extremely confident prior to the game but that means very little as we saw in the reverse fixture a few weeks ago. That being said, there was just no way these lads were going to slip up twice against the same opposition. They had a score to settle and settle it they did. Not so much in the result itself, but by the utter dominance of it.

Brendan spoke all kinds of bollocks afterwards about it being a performance that restored pride. Nah, they got battered and on another night our chances go in and he’s walking away with a five goal defeat and having to face all sorts of questions about his future. In fairness, when you look at that Leicester starting eleven how could you expect any different? It feels like they’ve got half a dozen players out with injury every week. Their defence and midfield had a makeshift look about it and there was no Vardy.

Contrast that with us. We’ve got virtually everybody available now (Hendo missed out with a slight knock and Sadio wasn’t back in time) and it can’t be easy for Klopp deciding who to leave out. For this one he left Mo on the bench as Diaz made his full debut, and also elected to go with Jones in midfield over Ox, Keita and Elliott. 

Other than that I think we could have predicted the rest of the line up. Maybe Mo could have started ahead of Bobby but having played 120 minutes on four consecutive games inside a fortnight for Egypt it was probably wise to be cautious on that.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report Dave, agree about Curtis, one touch too many needs coaching out of him.

Unable to attend last night due to the virus but TV did pick up Schmeichel reaction to second goal , lip read him saying "fuckin shitbag " , made me laugh. 

41 minutes ago, ralph said:

Great report Dave, agree about Curtis, one touch too many needs coaching out of him.

Unable to attend last night due to the virus but TV did pick up Schmeichel reaction to second goal , lip read him saying "fuckin shitbag " , made me laugh. 

Hah!  Is that what he said?  The fucking arrogant cunt!

Must be hard for Jurgen to pick the team but I bet he's loving it. The crowd tried to help Bobby repeatedly singing his song. I love Bobby but he doesnt look like he's going to be a regular starter for the rest of the season to me.

I thought Fabinho was better in the 2nd half than the first when he got caught in possession, mishit a pass or was left for dead when missing a tackle.

Diaz looked like he was playing his hundredth game for this team not his first. I get the bit about resting Matip against Burnley but please Jurgen, no Konate for that game.

I hate wanting Bobby not to play, he has been my favourite player for so long. But you're right completely that he's a distant 5th now. That creative play has just disappeared and though his pressing is still good he's often having to because he gave it away.

Thiago was a treat, I kept seeing great bits of play, thinking who was that and repeatedly it was him. A joy to watch.

• dave u unpinned this topic