You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kurt Zouma The cat kicker

dockers_strike

Should Zouma be suspended?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should Zouma be suspended from football for kicking his cat?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares?

56 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

This.

This is exactly what has happened. Stronts and Willard are trying to convince everyone that kicking cats is nothing but good wholesome fun. Obviously.

I’m not saying kicking cats is a good thing, in saying people need a sense of perspective when it comes to animal cruelty; 1 kicked cat compared to 1.5 billion gassed pigs.

I also think it’s also about how we consume and react to news and how our societal emotions are manipulated by media and celebrities. Things only seem to resonate with our collective conscience  if there is a video. 

Ask yourself honestly, if I told you that I’d heard from a mate who works at West Ham that  Zouma had kicked his cat last week because it shat in the kitchen but you didn’t see a video, would you really give a fuck  ? Would it be on the news ? Would anybody care ? 

6 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I’m not saying kicking cats is a good thing, in saying people need a sense of perspective when it comes to animal cruelty; 1 kicked cat compared to 1.5 billion gassed pigs.

I also think it’s also about how we consume and react to news and how our societal emotions are manipulated by media and celebrities.

Ask yourself honestly, if I told you that I’d heard from a mate who works at West Ham that  Zouma had kicked his cat last week because it shat in the kitchen but you didn’t see a video, would you really give a fuck  ? Would it be on the news ? Would anybody care ? 

Fucking hell - so you’re saying that seeing something shocking for yourself, actually has more impact on someone’s emotions than hearing a passing rumour about it? Never would have thought that.

You and SD should start an academic society. I think he’s on rule 3 now, so just jump in from there.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I also think it’s also about how we consume and react to news and how our societal emotions are manipulated by media and celebrities. Things only seem to resonate with our collective conscience  if there is a video. 

Think you need to remember that not all meat eaters purchase battery caged eggs/chickens or the cheapest possible meat with the lowest welfare standards. 

It is possible to want to eat meat because it tastes fucking delicious and also want the animal to have the best possible quality of life and be killed as quickly/humanely/pain free as possible. 

17 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Think you need to remember that not all meat eaters purchase battery caged eggs/chickens or the cheapest possible meat with the lowest welfare standards. 

It is possible to want to eat meat because it tastes fucking delicious and also want the animal to have the best possible quality of life and be killed as quickly/humanely/pain free as possible. 

Most pigs are killed by being gassed with co2. This is the effect of co2 on piglets: . 

concentrations >30% are highly aversive (very unpleasant, painful) for pigs

• there is variability between pigs’ responses to CO2
  • pigs are not rendered unconscious immediately
  • high concentrations of COgas can cause significant pain and distress to pigs when inhaled (due to acute respiratory distress, i.e. difficulty breathing)

Not exactly pain free but hey ho there’s not a video and that nice Chris Packham is not tweeting about it so who gives a fuck ? Now that cat, that was really upsetting. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Most pigs are killed by being gassed with co2. This is the effect of co2 on piglets: . 

concentrations >30% are highly aversive (very unpleasant, painful) for pigs

• there is variability between pigs’ responses to CO2
  • pigs are not rendered unconscious immediately
  • high concentrations of COgas can cause significant pain and distress to pigs when inhaled (due to acute respiratory distress, i.e. difficulty breathing)

Not exactly pain free but hey ho there’s not a video and that nice Chris Packham is not tweeting about it so who gives a fuck ? Now that cat, that was really upsetting. 

Are you vegan mate? 

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Are you vegan mate? 

No not all, look at my many posts in the breakfast thread. My point is not about  the cat at all,  it’s the fact we are all being played by the media, reacting to videos and celebrity tweets like performing seals. If it was just second hand written reporting of the basic fact of the incident without the accompanying video, nobody would give a fuck. This is why I mentioned the pigs, far more cruelty on an almost inconceivable global scale to much more sentient animals but because there’s no video, there’s no outrage. That’s my point, nothing to do with the poor cat. 

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

No not all, look at my many posts in the breakfast thread. My point is not about  the cat at all,  it’s the fact we are all being played by the media, reacting to videos and celebrity tweets like performing seals. If it was just second hand written reporting of the basic fact of the incident without the accompanying video, nobody would give a fuck. This is why I mentioned the pigs, far more cruelty on an almost inconceivable global scale to much more sentient animals but because there’s no video, there’s no outrage. That’s my point, nothing to do with the poor cat. 

As has already been pointed out, seeing something happen will always be more impactful than hearing that something happened.

If we had to caveat everything we're unhappy with it'd take forever for people to talk about anything.

2 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

II know you're not Kurtz, I'm forming a point.

f you saw a man across the street booting his dog would it piss you off? 

8 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

As has already been pointed out, seeing something happen will always be more impactful than hearing that something happened.

If we had to caveat everything we're unhappy with it'd take forever for people to talk about anything.

Yes but that’s our choice. We should be grown up enough to distinguish between minor issues that happen to be on YouTube with massive issues that are only written down. 

1 hour ago, Fugitive said:

The only thing I've taken from this thread is that Stronts thinks it ok to kick cats

Well, what do you expect from the man who supports the squirrel-killing party.

[That was meant to be a joke, but it's actually not the daftest accusation on here.]

3 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Yes but that’s our choice. We should be grown up enough to distinguish between minor issues that happen to be on YouTube with massive issues that are only written down. 

It's news because a high profile footballer has been caught being a cunt a week removed from another footballer caught being an even worse cunt.

This isn't a new thing, Michael Vick spent 18 months in prison and lost his job for dog fighting more than a decade ago.

19 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think there's also an element of "one death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic" going on here.  The scale of animal suffering in global food production is, as you say, inconceivable.  Cruelty to one cat is very conceivable.