You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kurt Zouma The cat kicker

dockers_strike

Should Zouma be suspended?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should Zouma be suspended from football for kicking his cat?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares?

1 hour ago, Strontium said:

Or maybe, and hear me out on this, everyone from PETA to Zouma are imperfect human beings capable of doing right and wrong, and that Jesus maybe had a decent point when he said that only he who is without sin should be lobbing rocks.

I think that is how they killed the first food. Seriously.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Pointing out the inconsistencies in someone's position is not a moral judgment. "Oh that poor cat, Zouma should be castrated. Do you want a bite of my chicken murderburger? It was 6 weeks old when it had its head cut off."

"Judgemental Shithouses"

"Not a moral judgment"

OK then.

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

Or maybe, and hear me out on this, everyone from PETA to Zouma are imperfect human beings capable of doing right and wrong, and that Jesus maybe had a decent point when he said that only he who is without sin should be lobbing rocks.

That's my favourite bit of the Bible.  When the crowd were about to stone the woman caught in adultery and Jesus said "Let anyone among you who is without sin cast the first stone."  One by one, the people in the crowd dropped their stones and turned, shamefaced, to go home, until one huge brick came flying from the back of the crowd and smacked the woman right on the bonce. And Jesus said "Arr eh, Mam, do you have to ruin everything?"

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Strontium said:

Pointing out the inconsistencies in someone's position is not a moral judgment. "Oh that poor cat, Zouma should be castrated. Do you want a bite of my chicken murderburger? It was 6 weeks old when it had its head cut off."

The level of outrage about any given event is becoming proportionate to how easily accessible the information is to the general British population. 100s of books in the last decade about the cruelty of the animal industry, not many people really give a fuck, 30 second video easily accessible on YouTube and general uproar that will last a day or so until the next thing we’re given to be cross about. It’s just a different form of beer and circuses. 

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

The level of outrage about any given event is becoming proportionate to how easily accessible the information is to the general British population. 100s of books in the last decade about the cruelty of the animal industry, not many people really give a fuck, 30 second video easily accessible on YouTube and general uproar that will last a day or so until the next thing we’re given to be cross about. It’s just a different form of beer and circuses. 

It applies to almost everything though. Weve always focused on the minutiae. Politically how much focus is put on actual policy and its effects against how someone eats a bacon butty. The idea the media for a long time has been anything but a propaganda machine is naive, like Murdoch, Rothmere and the likes own papers for the profit of sales or they want to be purveyors of truth, they do it because it makes them kingmakers. Distract people or shape their views. Zoumas cat is nothing new. Slavery and child labour is involved in chocolate production and the making of mobile phones as are millions of other products we use, we know this but look the other way, the modern world makes hypocrites of us all. I turn over when child starvation or animal cruelty adverts come on because actually facing the truth makes me uncomfortable so I choose ignorance. Shameful really.

Zouma is still out of order though. I do think his punishment has been enough he's been caught, blasted and ridiculed had his cats taken off him, that's more than enough, the wage fines seem excessive and people clamouring for more should take a step back ask why are they so desperate to get the most punishment they can possibly get out of somebody are they thinking of the cat or just enjoy the ruin of a person.

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Strontium said:

Is this Ben Shapiro?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It applies to almost everything though. Weve always focused on the minutiae. Politically how much focus is put on actual policy and its effects against how someone eats a bacon butty. The idea the media for a long time has been anything but a propaganda machine is naive, like Murdoch, Rothmere and the likes own papers for the profit of sales or they want to be purveyors of truth, they do it because it makes them kingmakers. Distract people or shape their views. Zoumas cat is nothing new. Slavery and child labour is involved in chocolate production and the making of mobile phones as are millions of other products we use, we know this but look the other way, the modern world makes hypocrites of us all. I turn over when child starvation or animal cruelty adverts come on because actually facing the truth makes me uncomfortable so I choose ignorance. Shameful really.

Zouma is still out of order though. I do think his punishment has been enough he's been caught, blasted and ridiculed had his cats taken off him, that's more than enough, the wage fines seem excessive and people clamouring for more should take a step back ask why are they so desperate to get the most punishment they can possibly get out of somebody are they thinking of the cat or just enjoy the ruin of a person.

Good post, totally agree with most of it. I think we all live with the guilty knowledge that our western lifestyle is based on animal cruelty, co2 emissions, environmental destruction and human rights abuses in China. I think for most of us who take an interest in the world, there’s a constant white noise of liberal angst so when something like this comes along it’s like a brief respite from the guilt, “I can’t be that bad for eating gassed baby pigs, I got cross about that cat video”. It’s the same with people who obsess about recycling then go on long haul flights 2 - 3 times a year, it’s a subconscious respite from the guilt. I also think this is why people get cross at @Strontium for pointing it out, they want the mental kool aid even if just for a day or so. 

I’m just as bad by the way, I work in the environmental sector but drive a ridiculous over the top petrol car and go skiing so I’m a complete hypocrite as well. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Captain Willard said:

Good post, totally agree with most of it. I think we all live with the guilty knowledge that our western lifestyle is based on animal cruelty, co2 emissions, environmental destruction and human rights abuses in China. I think for most of us who take an interest in the world, there’s a constant white noise of liberal angst so when something like this comes along it’s like a brief respite from the guilt, “I can’t be that bad for eating gassed baby pigs, I got cross about that cat video”. It’s the same with people who obsess about recycling then go on long haul flights 2 - 3 times a year, it’s a subconscious respite from the guilt. I also think this is why people get cross at @Strontium for pointing it out, they want the mental kool aid even if just for a day or so. 

I’m just as bad by the way, I work in the environmental sector but drive a ridiculous over the top petrol car and go skiing so I’m a complete hypocrite as well. 

We all are, on everything, it’s just that loads on here (and in the real world to be fair) don’t like it when you point it out. 

Apparently you’re a contrarian if you do.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

A case in point is the way the papers were unanimous in mourning when little Alan Kurdi drowned, but within weeks resumed describing people like him in the most dehumanising terms and advocating policies that would make drownings more likely.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

So we really are advocating kicking pets 

Yes. 

This thread is just full of people advocating kicking pets. Just look at it all! I counted at least a couple of hundred posts on the theme "everyone should kick cats; it's great!"

(I can't believe I had to use this twice in the same thread.)