You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kurt Zouma The cat kicker

dockers_strike

Should Zouma be suspended?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should Zouma be suspended from football for kicking his cat?

• Yes
    • No
    • Who cares?

Seems Zouma has incurred the wrath or Khan having been seen booting his cat on social media. Should he be banned for a couple of games. The fans supposedly chanting 'That's how your cat feels' after he got a knock made me chuckle.

Kurt Zouma was booed by both sets of fans as the controversy over the West Ham United defender’s cruelty to his pet cat overshadowed this victory for David Moyes’ side.

The big question the manager faced before the game was whether Zouma would play, given his recent exposure on social media as a man who appears to find abusing an animal funny. Many were calling for the player to be subject to disciplinary measures, but Moyes decided to pick him.

Asked before kick-off by BT Sport’s reporter whether he had considered dropping him, the West Ham manager replied: “No, because he is one of our best players.” But his words provoked an immediate backlash on social media.

Clearly when the alternative is Issa Diop and the points are of vital importance, morality is not an issue at the London Stadium.  

Still, it meant Zouma was subject to the court of public opinion. And when he came on to the pitch, praying to a higher force – presumably asking that no one films round his house again – he was roundly booed from all sides of the stadium. His every touch was greeted with derision. And when he tussled with Joshua King and was left clutching his ankle, squirming on the turf, the Watford supporters delivered a chant not previously heard at a Premier League match: “That’s how your cat feels.”

Kurt Zouma of West Ham cries out in pain as he grips his leg during the Premier League match between West Ham United and Watford at London Stadium on February 8, 2022 in London, United Kingdom.
Kurt Zouma cries out in pain Credit: GETTY IMAGES

On Tuesday night, one of West Ham’s sponsors, Kissimmee, said they would re-evaluate their relationship with the club in light of the furore.

On the pitch, West Ham are not letting the chance of qualifying for the Champions League go without a fight. As Manchester United stumbled at Burnley, they showed admirable determination to see off a Watford side whose latest new-manager bounce lasted all of one fixture. Jarrod Bowen was once again the man to thank, his goal the difference between the sides.

Advertisement

For Moyes, points have long been the things that matter. Particularly as they offered demonstrable relief after spending much of the last 24 hours obliged to wrestle with one of the more unexpected byways of his management career: a case of animal cruelty.

“I was really disappointed when I saw the video,” Moyes said of his player’s behaviour. “It’s really out of order, something we didn’t expect from Kurt. The club have taken all the actions they can do, behind the scenes. But my job is to pick the best team I possibly could, find a way to get three points for West Ham.

“There will be people who will be disappointed at that and I understand that totally.

“I am someone who cares a lot about my dogs and horses and all the people I am connected with. I have spoken to him and we will move on as much as we can.

“We wanted to get this game out of the way and we understand nobody will be pleased about it. It is a poor situation.”

Watford had spent much of the season up until now being the cat the rest of the division kicked. But Roy Hodgson loves a clean sheet and has clearly brought a bit of organisation to Hertfordshire. From the start, his team looked disciplined, structured and physically committed.

Advertisement

It did not help West Ham’s attempts to break down the Watford resolve that their radar appeared initially awry. In the opening exchanges both Declan Rice and Bowen passed straight into touch when they assumed their full-back was overlapping.

And Watford had chances on the counter. When Rice, pouring forward as is his wont, was stopped in his tracks by Tom Cleverley’s smart tackle, the visitors broke quickly. The ball was played to Hassane Kamara, whose cross found Juraj Kucka. Unfortunately he headed wide when he should have scored.

But the jeopardy was always there for Hodgson. As when, in a rare moment of West Ham fluency, they almost found a way past the Watford resolve. Dribbling across the visitors’ box, Bowen deftly slipped in Said Benrahma, whose shot was superbly saved by Ben Foster. The ball rebounded to the West Ham winger, he had another go and this time hit the post.

But if West Ham are ever in doubt there is always a simple solution: give the ball to Bowen. Midway through the second half, the substitute Manuel Lanzini did just that, playing the forward in just outside the Watford area. He simply strode on and shot at goal. A cruel deflection off Samir wrong-footed Foster and West Ham were ahead.

Advertisement

“To concede the goal from such a large deflection is always tough on a team,” said Hodgson.

Bowen nearly doubled his contribution a few moments later when he hit the post after a dazzling run.

Watford tried to respond. It needed a Rice block as King shaped to shoot; and Cleverley then fed King, who charged forward and returned the ball. Off balance, Cleverley ballooned a shot over the bar. It was Watford’s last chance. And it meant Zouma could go home with three points in his pocket. Not that the cat will be pleased to see him.

Deserves all he gets 

Also, the fact that he’s slapping the cat full pelt in front of his child who lifts it to him as if that’s something to do is very, very concerning. 

Scumbag. You don’t abuse animals and you don’t teach your kids this type of fucking nonsense is ok either. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 17

10 minutes ago, Strontium said:

If Buddhists are right and I am going to be reincarnated, I reckon I'd take my chances as Kurt Zouma's cat rather than a factory farm animal. Humans are weird when it comes to the things that outrage them.

Abusing an animal and involving your kid is ok because humans eat meat from factory farms?

Weird fucking opinion but ok. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Juniper said:

Abusing an animal and involving your kid is ok because humans eat meat from factory farms?

Weird fucking opinion but ok. 

I don't recall saying anything was "ok" so please don't put words in my mouth. However if you eat meat, then you are undeniably responsible for more cruelty than Kurt Zouma is here.

If it helps, it's not just animals where people exhibit this weird selective outrage. Remember everyone getting more upset about Suarez biting someone in a stadium at the World Cup than they did about all the people who died building those World Cup stadiums.

2 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I don't recall saying anything was "ok" so please don't put words in my mouth. However if you eat meat, then you are undeniably responsible for more cruelty than Kurt Zouma is here.

If it helps, it's not just animals where people exhibit this weird selective outrage. Remember everyone getting more upset about Suarez biting someone in a stadium at the World Cup than they did about all the people who died building those World Cup stadiums.

Ok, so we shouldn’t be outraged about an adult abusing a animal (and involving his child) because we eat meat

Is that closer? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Juniper said:

Ok, so we shouldn’t be outraged about an adult abusing a animal (and involving his child) because we eat meat

Is that closer? 

You can get outraged about whatever you want, chief, and I will make whatever observations I want about it.

The cat probably considered this piece of shit to be some one it could trust and come to for food, love, affection and when sick be looked after properly. That is why we have pets and form such strong bonds with them. 
That bond is broken now and can never be fixed. Zouma should've been suspended at least last night by West Ham to show they did not approve in anyway of his actions. They didn't, they showed themselves to be as callous as Zouma was to his cat.  What happens to this cunt now I don't give a fuck. I'm more concerned with the fate of the cat and how it recovers from the breach of trust.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

The cat probably considered this piece of shit to be some one it could trust and come to for food, love, affection and when sick be looked after properly. That is why we have pets and form such strong bonds with them. 
That bond is broken now and can never be fixed. Zouma should've been suspended at least last night by West Ham to show they did not approve in anyway of his actions. They didn't, they showed themselves to be as callous as Zouma was to his cat.  What happens to this cunt now I don't give a fuck. I'm more concerned with the fate of the cat and how it recovers from the breach of trust.  

You may be slightly overestimating psychological complexitiy of cats.