You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton or Newcastle?

Em City

Everton or Newcastle?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming only one can go down because life can only get so good, who do you choose to be relegated?

Just like if Man Utd got relegated, if Everton went down there’d be initial hilarity, but then the 4 games I look for first at the start of each season (Everton & Man Utd home and away) would be gone and I’d find it all a bit depressing. So I think overall the few weeks of laughter would die away to annoyance at not having a Derby to look forward to. 

So Newcastle would be my choice; just. 

Hate Newcastle and didn't ever buy the Geordie-Scouse solidarity that some think exists - great for a sign on chant are the Geordies and seemed like every other club to be determined to stop us winning the league. In fairness, I guess the same will happen to the Mancs. The fact they will be another club destroying football is another reason for them to be the one I want down.

I come from an era when the derby was beautiful. They were a proper huge club and if we couldn't win the league/cup, I was happy for them to win trophies. I sometimes went to their place when I couldn't make away games. A lot of my family and friends are blues. Unfortunately, it's a generational thing because the younger Blues are toxic and every year more sound Blues die. I see it with my nephews and sons of my mates. Lovely away from football but mention Liverpool and they turn into rabid dogs. They talk about Heysel more than Evertonians that were around at that time. A few blues  have come out with vile chants about Hillsborough to get at us ignoring that every Blue in the city lost family and friends that day or were impacted by it. Again it seems to be the younger ones but regardless they are a disgrace.

I have so many good memories that it pains me the carry on from them. They want to be the sound decent Scousers to middle England ignoring the fact they are despised every bit as much. 

I was acting the knobhead at their place in the Rushie game (82?) taking the piss out of my brothers and got a smack from an old lad. He was in his 60s possibly and wearing a red scarf. Behave son he said. Everyone pissed themselves with an old blue saying with that kind of balance I belong in the Everton defence. Red and Blue in the same end with a sense of our two clubs sets of fans setting standards for young lads. I wasn't even saying anything nasty - pity those old boys who probably lost their pals in the war aren't around now to set standards.

• Upvote 7

3 hours ago, liverpoolsno9 said:

For those that have voted Newcastle…..Have you ever been to a Derby at Goodson? & Are you from the City? If the answer to both them questions is yes & you still voted Newcastle, words fail me. 

Fair question  I voted for Newcastle, I'm not from Liverpool and whilst I've been to a couple of Anfield derbies I haven't at Goodison. I think Newcastle, under their new owners - like Man City, Chelsea, PSG, etc before them - epitomise everything wrong with football. The fact that we've legitimised human rights abusing regimes and given them one of the most powerful PR tactics in the world disgusts me, I fucking hate them.

I don't have the exposure to the bloos on a day-to-day basis that would come close to that.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Hate Newcastle and didn't ever buy the Geordie-Scouse solidarity that some think exists - great for a sign on chant are the Geordies and seemed like every other club to be determined to stop us winning the league. In fairness, I guess the same will happen to the Mancs. The fact they will be another club destroying football is another reason for them to be the one I want down.

I come from an era when the derby was beautiful. They were a proper huge club and if we couldn't win the league/cup, I was happy for them to win trophies. I sometimes went to their place when I couldn't make away games. A lot of my family and friends are blues. Unfortunately, it's a generational thing because the younger Blues are toxic and every year more sound Blues die. I see it with my nephews and sons of my mates. Lovely away from football but mention Liverpool and they turn into rabid dogs. They talk about Heysel more than Evertonians that were around at that time. A few blues  have come out with vile chants about Hillsborough to get at us ignoring that every Blue in the city lost family and friends that day or were impacted by it. Again it seems to be the younger ones but regardless they are a disgrace.

I have so many good memories that it pains me the carry on from them. They want to be the sound decent Scousers to middle England ignoring the fact they are despised every bit as much. 

I was acting the knobhead at their place in the Rushie game (82?) taking the piss out of my brothers and got a smack from an old lad. He was in his 60s possibly and wearing a red scarf. Behave son he said. Everyone pissed themselves with an old blue saying with that kind of balance I belong in the Everton defence. Red and Blue in the same end with a sense of our two clubs sets of fans setting standards for young lads. I wasn't even saying anything nasty - pity those old boys who probably lost their pals in the war aren't around now to set standards.

Good that, i dont ever recall the shite spoken today being said years ago, though there was obviously a real rivalry just not so vicious, sadly not confined to football though. 

29 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Good that, i dont ever recall the shite spoken today being said years ago, though there was obviously a real rivalry just not so vicious, sadly not confined to football though. 

The real change was when they went from being a proper trophy chasing club to being literally relegation threatened in the space of 6 or 7 years. We got shit as well to soften the blow for them, but as soon as we got decent again, then things began to change.

The Moyes era was when it began to get really nasty with them though imo. 

2 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

The real change was when they went from being a proper trophy chasing club to being literally relegation threatened in the space of 6 or 7 years. We got shit as well to soften the blow for them, but as soon as we got decent again, then things began to change.

Yes your right, that peoples club shit seemed to add more anger, a stupid thing to say, it implying we are two different types of people from the same up bringing and city, saying that my brother in law whose 70 became more bitter during and after Moyes, as i said it was a stupid thing to say. 

13 hours ago, easytoslip said:

Newcastle for me, i dont want to see Everton go down as apart from the many mates that are Blue there would be no derby twice a year, so i dont get why anyone would want that. 

Forever in a lowly league position would do me. 

I used to think that but the derby is horrible now, really toxic. Nah I want them to go down. I’m not sure they’d come straight back up either the mess they’re in.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, suzy said:

I used to think that but the derby is horrible now, really toxic. Nah I want them to go down. I’m not sure they’d come straight back up either the mess they’re in.

It is very toxic sadly but as an armchair supporter now perhaps i dont hear a lot of it though im aware of it, i just dont get hatred in football, rivalry yes and as for me i always want Crystal Palace to go down especially with Woy but i dont exactly hate anyone or club, though i would like to give Ramos a short left jab to the belly followed by a crashing right to send him down. 

Its looking grim though for them. 

8 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yep. I can remember when we beat them to the double the year after and then in 88 when we took the title back off them. 

There was no blaming Heysel and no looking at European games saying it should have been them dominating. I lived in a road with a lot of Evertonians and they were all fair minded and it was a nice rivalry. We would have our flags up if we won something and they would if they did and it was all good natured.

I first really noticed it around 1993 or 1994 when they beat us a couple of times and it took us a while to stop their unbeaten run in derbies. They started being nasty and blaming Heysel, calling Fowler a smackhead and fighting at derbies etc. 

The thread title is Everton or Newcastle? Not would you like Everton to go down? I don’t think there’ll be many tears shed if Everton go down will there?! At this point I’d prefer Newcastle. Because that will directly impact on us winning trophies. Man City are an absolute fucking shit stain. Having another club like that in the top division we may as well all pack up and go home. Also the appalling human rights record. Just vile. Yes Everton are cunts. I’ve got some rabid family members who support Everton and also some sound ones. 
I don’t live in the city anymore and the last time I went the derby was the semi at Wembley. Prior to that it was in the 80s and 90s so as everyone says it seems more toxic now. I was in Liverpool last week and my cousin who is a red wants them to go down after all the Rafa shit. I’m probably just out of touch.
What I don’t understand is people saying Newcastle going down is just delaying the inevitable. Well the inevitable is pretty fucking shit. So yes let’s delay it please!!
It’s a moot point after last night. Everton are a fucking basket case and they are right in the shit. I fear for them I really do!

Never got my head around the hate for Newcastle. Fine, they sing that dated “sign on” bollocks, but in general they are good folks. Got a lot of love for geordies as people, plus they did this a few years ago…

Edit - Everton to go down. I look forward to them having 8 of 11 players in a city 11 while they hover around mid table in the championship

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Ha ha , dodgy comment! 

Superfan

True though isn't it? (to a degree). If you are from the Merseyside area you naturally hone in on the significance of the rivalry with Everton a lot more and also have to deal with blues on a day to day basis. If you are a fan from, say, Southampton, I imagine that the Man U rivalry may mean more?   

1 hour ago, Total Longo said:

True though isn't it? (to a degree). If you are from the Merseyside area you naturally hone in on the significance of the rivalry with Everton a lot more and also have to deal with blues on a day to day basis. If you are a fan from, say, Southampton, I imagine that the Man U rivalry may mean more?   

100% this. Made a few mates in London from Ireland and they saw United as the bigger rival, and that feels like the right approach to me. The opposite seems a bit contrived.

Never used to want then down, always saw it as bad for city and bad for all the decent blues....

But now - fuck them.

They have turned the rivlary toxic with all their bitter small time shite, getting in bed with the mancs etc etc etc.

Fuck them - i hope they are flushed at long last and frankly never return.

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think the hate and bile will stop if they are in the championship? They are no threat to us, Newcastle will be. And besides Everton will win most weeks in the championship, the current set up of forever hovering on the brink is more satisfying.